February 11th, 2013
Fashion, Fashion News
Fashion News: Constance White Exits Her Post at Essence
By Faith

Two years after her entrance into the Editor-in-chief role at Essence, Constance White is exiting the glossy according to Maynard Institute:

Fashion News-021113-Constance White Exits Her Post at Essence

The reason why you might ask? The magazine is cutting hundreds of jobs (yes I was surprised to know Essence had that many employees as well) including the roles of Corynne L. Corbett, the Beauty Editor, and Greg Monfries, the Creative Director. White is a force in the fashion industry, having held coveted positions as the founder of Talk Magazine, the Executive Fashion Editor for Elle, a Style Reporter for The New York Times, and an Associate Editor for Women’s Wear Daily and W Magazine.

constance-white-3rd-annual-essence-black-women-in-music-event

Until the magazine finds a replacement, Executive Editor Vanessa Bush will act as Managing Editor.

constance-white-tracy-reese

Quite shocking as I think White has done a great job with revamping the magazine and producing great content. I guess we’ll all be waiting to see where she ends up next.

Thoughts?

constance-white-chado-ralph-rucci-show

18 Responses to “Fashion News: Constance White Exits Her Post at Essence”

1. tasha says:

I find this very odd that she is leaving after two years. Essence and Ebony have a lot going on in the last 5 years. They do revamps and then people get fired. I know times are hard for the press but eek!

2. Didn’t she juuust replace the woman of another ethnicity that caused all that uproar?

3. You would think that people who worked in fashion had some style.

4. Kia says:

I was just thinking to myself the other day as I was renewing my subscription to Glamour, I have never even thought of subscribing to essence or ebony. As a little girl, my mom and grandmother had subscriptions to both. They just DO NOT appeal to me as magazines at the forefront of fashion, beauty and style. I practically subscribe to all the “white” magazines and they hardly have any content aimed at women of color. I usually quench my beauty, fashion and style thirst by visiting black blogs which seem to find the perfect balance of what I’m looking for. Maybe essence and ebony should try hiring bloggers to suggest content.

5. Fashforward says:

Wow! Can’t say this is good news……

6. Shelly says:

Well if she is leaving, it can’t be because of budget cuts, because they are looking for a replacement, right?

7. Dom says:

They may be cutting jobs, but they’ll always need an Editor-in-Chief. That’s not the reason she’s leaving.

8. Michelle says:

Surprised to hear this unfortunate news. I am an avid supporter of Essence and I read the mag every month and I enjoy her connection with the audience of readers. There is no doubt she is going to go on to do awesome things.

9. Jihan says:

Wait, I know it’s not funny but I also didn’t know that ESSENCE could fire hundreds of people, or any magazine for that matter.

I’m so sad, I LOVE Constance C.R. she is so regal and smart and was good for the magazine. But I wonder if with all the cuts the mag might go in a different editorial direction. Could be interesting to see.

10. Genie says:

What is going on at Essence? It seems like constant upheaval. Hope it doesn’t fold, but with so many changes & layoffs too, this is not a good sign.

11. TNChic says:

Oh no! I’ve become an avid reader of Essence over the past year and I strongly believe it was due to the revamping of the magazine! I was just mentioning to my friends how this magazine has helped me through several quarter-life crises! If you’re looking for advice on how to manage as a young black woman in both your personal and professional life you can find it in this mag! From financial tips on saving in your 20s/30s to fashion guides to dating in the age of texting to career advice it’s all there! It is unfortunate that she is leaving I enjoy her personable “letters from the Editor” and it is sad to see something that champions our Black people and is our own, experience so much hardship. What a sad turn on a great day when they announced Bey as the headliner for Essence Festival this year. That’s it Constance go out with a bang girl! You will be missed.

12. Sam says:

Essence had BEEN lame since Susan left….so i haven’t even the strength to even pick up any issue…

13. Tammy M. says:

Sad to hear this as well, Constance made Essence Magazine great again. She also incorparated a new age vibe to the content,

She included both high-end and affordable fashion layouts, and added more diverse covers: Tracee Ellis Ross, Viola Davis, Jill Scott, and All the female Oplympians graced the cover of magazine for the 1st time because of her.

She will be missed!

14. LawyerLady says:

I’ve loved Essence for years and though I’ve maintained my subscription – issues may sit for weeks before I flip through. The fashion is always dated and uninspiring IMO.

15. SHAQ NICHOLE says:

Wow!

16. t-fal says:

She will be missed, Essence has really turned it around in the last year or so. I’m pretty sure that’s due to her leadership. She’s prob the main reason i renewed my subscription…well, er, um used frequent flyer miles to renew my subscription…

17. Heide says:

Essence is done and has been done. Like Do people actually still buy that magazine?