February 8th, 2013
Fashion, Fashion News, Kanye West, Naomi Campbell
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

02  Kanye West's 12-12-12 Hurricane Sandy Benefit Concert Pyrex Religion Hoodie
Kanye West is allegedly so embarrassed about having worn a skirt kilt to perform at the Hurricane Sandy 12-12-12 Relief concert, that he’s reportedly asked Getty Images to remove any photos of him rocking the garment Riccardo Tisci worked so hard to make for him. Though it’s not the first time we’ve seen him in such attire, The Sun says Kanye’s feeling a little sheepish about breaking out the schoolgirl staple after catching flack from fellow rappers. MC Lord Jamar (who?) wrote a song mocking poor Yeezy, in a tune titled, “Lift Up Your Skirt”: “He introduced the skinny jeans to the rap scene /Then he wore a f***ing skirt on a video screen /Then he wore it again at a memorial /I can’t pretend that this s**t ain’t deplorable” While I’m positive there are more deplorable things going on in hip-hop, I’m a little disappointed that Kanye would take his words to heart. What do you think? Should Kanye have asked for the pictures to be removed? (Telegraph)

cr-fashionbook-issue-2-dance

WWD‘s got a first look at the cover for the second issue of Carine Roitfeld‘s highly successful CR Fashion Book. The theme of the issue is easy to identify, with ballet star Sergei Polunin and a high fashion interpretation of a pointe shoe gracing the glossy’s cover. (WWD)

Marc-Jacobs

• Due to delivery woes, Marc Jacobs is postponing his Fall 2013 show. Jacobs was scheduled to show on Monday the 11th at 8pm, but thanks to delivery delays, the designer will instead show his latest collection on February 14th at 8pm. Marc Jacobs International president Robert Duffy explained just how much stuff is still missing: “…bags, shoes and two fabrics, “ he said. “Marc and I are extremely sorry for this inconvenience. We just want to have the best show possible and show all the product that our design team has been working on so hard for the last six months. We completely understand if people have to get on a plane to go to London. We’re not expecting people to change those plans or other plans just for us. We are live streaming the show. Still, we recognize the significant inconvenience and are very sorry about the situation.” (WWD)

naomi-campbell-vladislav-doronin-skyfall-royal-premiere-london-alexander-mcqueen-resort-2013-suit

• Just because she’s received a ton of work though her illustrious career, doesn’t mean Naomi Campbell doesn’t notice the extreme lack of diversity in fashion. In a conference call to promote The Face, the supermodel expressed her disappointment in the whitewashed industry, and how little has changed since she was coming up in fashion. “I like to always stay optimistic and hope. And, you know, I pray each fashion week that I do see loads of young models of color out there,” she said. “And when they do come and say to me, they didn’t want me because of this, it just hurts. Because you feel — I feel that I worked so long in this business. And I hoped that it would make it easier, so I get very disappointed when I hear someone saying, ‘Oh they really don’t want me because, you know.’ It’s just we’re in 2013, it shouldn’t be happening. We have President Obama and Michelle Obama as the first lady, you know, this just shouldn’t be.” (Styleite)

toni-braxton-2001-grammys

• CBS is cracking down on the dress code at this year’s Grammys, and has sent out a list to all attendees about appropriate attire for the occasion. So, don’t expect to see Rihanna‘s nipples or Ke$ha‘s batty jaw, because such exposure is emphatically banned from the event. CBS is asking guests to “Please be sure that buttocks and female breasts are adequately covered.” The document also states that “Thong type costumes are problematic” as well. They plead: “Please avoid exposing bare fleshy under curves of the buttocks and buttock crack.” Also: “Bare sides or under curvature of the breasts is also problematic. Please avoid sheer see-through clothing that could possibly expose female breast nipples.” And finally, “Please be sure the genital region is adequately covered so that there is no visible ‘puffy’ bare skin exposure.” I think the real tragedy here is that they have to even ask people to cover themselves properly in polite company. What a world! (Telegraph)

29 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: Kanye West Asks Getty Images to Remove Photos of Him in Givenchy Skirt, Marc Jacobs Postpones Fall 2013 Show, and Naomi Campbell is Not Pleased With the Lack of Diversity in Fashion”

1. Jei says:

Kanye..have several seats.

I definitely agree with Ms. Campbell on the issue but I feel like those who have the power to bring up or expose more models of color, do not. The number of models of color has grown somewhat but I would definitely like to see more.

2. S23 says:

No Kanye should not be asking for photos to be removed. He wore it, now deal with it. Also, I don’t know him personally, but I get a sense from all of the publicity that he’s too damn sensitive..

3. DannielleS says:

Kanye should be embarrassed. If you choose to do something “out of the box”, own it. He looks silly trying to hide it now. Does he not know how the internet works? He should ask Kim, if its on the internet it is there forever.

I agree with Naomi, there should be more diversity.

To the Grammy folks, agreed BUT what the eff are “puffy parts”?! LOL!!!!

4. lola says:

Ms. Kendra West and her sensitivity issues. Girl, you wore the skirt and you looked fabulous. Stand by your fashion choices and do not allow yourself to be bullied by homophobic idiots in the hip hop community.

5. Gemini says:

@Jihan

Ha ha ha “batty jaw” You are a real Jamaican! Too funny!

6. JEGreene says:

We do not know for sure if Kanye wanted the images removed because of that song..that is just speculation, seeing as though the majority of us never even heard of Lord Jamar or that song.

With that being said, from the beginning I thought the whole skirt/kilt look was NOT cute! I understand pushing the envelope and being innovative but to what extent??!! Many designers have feminized suits for women to wear & it worked BUT there is no way you can make a skirt masculine. It looks ridiculous! If anything it looks like a costume rather than a fashion statement. People think that because it’s Kanye and he’s so out of the box- that this is acceptable smh.

7. MEME says:

Are you guys seriously asking who Lord Jamar is???? I guess y’all never heard of the Legendary Hip-Hop group Brand Nubian…

8. Kitana says:

As for Kanye, wow Jihan, didn’t realize you were so young, you don’t know who Lord Jamar is? I’m telling my age. He’s one of the greats and Kanye respects his opinion, but Kanye needs to stand on what he does. You wore that skirt now you will deal.

As for diversity in fashion, I don’t think we’ll live to see that day. We’ve been pushing for it forever. Diversity in the industry means more Asians and east europeans i.e something more tolerable than brown skin…

The fact that adult women have to be told how to present themselves at an award show? I cannot.

9. MEME says:

Kanye needs to have a seat once he wore that skirt he cannot take it back you can still google images of him in that skirt whether GettyImages has them or not…

10. lola says:

JEGreene

Tell that to the century old culture of Scottish kilts. Just because you do not like something does not make it “ridiculous!” Men have been wearing kilts when your ancestors were still in Africa and they continue to wear them today. Even in some traditional South East Asia and African cultures, men wear skirt like garments. These are ancient civilizations that paved the way for the modern life you are living today and think twice before calling their customs unacceptable. Once again, it’s ok not to like skirts on men but you display your ignorance when you make comments like “this is not acceptable” Girl, bye!

11. JEGreene says:

lola, my dear

My point being, there is a difference between culture and fashion. I highly doubt Kanye is wearing a leather skirt because of “tradition.” It has nothing to do with his roots or any other culture’s roots. He is making a fashion statement to be different and innovative, which is fine but in order to be an innovator you must start something that people will want to follow. I highly doubt you will see men walking down the street with skirts on because Kanye wears them. To me because it is not something that is culture driven, which I’m sure its not, then it just looks like he is making a mockery of those people and himself!

12. JEGreene says:

Clearly Kanye see’s how ridiculous it is, if not he wouldn’t have asked for the pics to be taken down. So I guess both Kanye and I are “ignorant”.

Have a blessed day :)

13. Liz says:

MY GOD! I love Jihan… batty jaw, I can’t deal!!

Lord Jamar is a homophobe. I miss College Dropout Kanye and I think he’s a sellout and a dummy (I had to say a prayer for him when I found out he impregnated Kim K.), but calling him half a fag and all this bull…? C’mon. Lord Jamar is getting the attention he so desperately needs… but it saddens me that so many people are cosigning him.

14. K says:

I’m not really mad at Kanye…who knows what the real reason is. Im sure that most people would want to go back and erase certain things about their past if they could…

i can’t imagine feeling like that and having the whole world bringing it up all the time. *shrug* I don’t think it’s our place to really have an opinion on that one. I personally don’t care

15. Natasha says:

Wow! I fell back on “batty jaw” though. To Kanye: Of all the outfits and costumes you’ve worn, it’s THIS one that you’re embarrassed of?

16. Scarlet says:

I dont think he’s removing the pic for that reason I remember a while ago the news saying that Kanye’s performance at the memorial wasnt going to be put onto the DVD so maybe thats why he wants to pics removed. You dont want my music on your CD/DVD take down all my images from your show.

And the Grammy’s board needs to have several seats the best part of the show is the shocking red carpet outfits.

17. Porsha says:

SMH at Kanyesha West….

18. BougieHippie says:

You people in this comment section stay reaching. Poor you all.

19. hipchick says:

Kanye wore it to be different….now he’s crying like a baby..that’s what happens when try too hard…he needs to just keep it moving

20. RHONYC says:

speaking of which…NaNa & Boris (or whatever) are looking very President & First Lady-ish.

surprised that she’s wearing too different blacks though…that outfit would be super boss if it were a matching suit.

;-)

21. lola A. says:

Lord Jamar is a hip hop icon and more than likely someone kanye looked up to in music so I liken this to getting chewed out by a uncle about something wrong you did.

22. Jihan says:

Wow. now I know who Lord Jamar is.

Personally, I think both Emcees could do well to lock it up.

23. Aynai sy says:

I agree with Naomi Campbell. it’s so disheartening that you don’t see women of color being represented on the runways,fashion magazines,commercials etc ….I can go on and on . As a culture our range of color and diversity of beauty is not being represented in the media outlets period . The range of beauty in other cultures is appreciated & looked at is the standard of beauty to the point that I feel, it’s creating culture were women and young girls think that there skin color and hair texture is not considered beautiful ,because there not seeing it represented as beauty . It is up to a parent to teach their children otherwise ,but if your constantly being bombarded with white,light,straight hair images ,when you look at everything from the Disney channel to the runways it subconsciously sends a message. As a person who loves diversity and can see beauty in all aspects.I personally would like to see my fellow sistas of color being featured & recognized a great, great deal more .it truly bothers me ,like we need affirmative action on the runways and media or something ? Enough is enough .

24. nes. says:

@Scarlet – good point, now THAT sounds more like the Kanye I know. It’s prob not about the skirt at all

25. RHONYC says:

whatevez! at least Cynthia Bailey a top ‘Essence Magazine’ model can create her own model talent agency that can create jobs for black models…instead of ‘Miz Tryin’ to Stay Relevent’ talks about how she was ‘T-H-E’ top black model (who could get ‘Tyra’ kicked off a shoot!) who had to C-L-A-W her way up (as long as no other black b*tch was coming up behind her).

i’ve been wanting to say this fo’EVA…ho sit down in your permanent place as ‘the OTHER WOMAN’…’cause your BEY has made it plain. if he likes it he puts a ring on it (makes it legal..,like ‘The Donald’)

such a loser…i swear! :-(

26. Joanna says:

Kanye really needs to stop this. He wore it so he should own up to it. Will teach him a lesson the next time. I do hope Getty does not remove it bahahaha. Naomi Campbell has a strong point wish I agree with but at the same time she should probably try paving the way for young and upcoming models like starting her own agency.
    Love Brand Nubian – Don’t let it go to head and Hold On :)

27. Who cares if Kanye wore it, at the end of the day it is his style. Some rappers believe it is not hip hop, when truly it isn’t. Music has changed anyway.. so… I can’t believe they still do that BS in the fashion industry… such a dirty ass business I would never want to be apart of…

28. Carmen says:

Its fashion, people need to calm down!!!

29. Deb says:

No lie had to Google MC Lord Jamar…and if he thinks wearing a kilt is too feminine I advise him to go and watch Mel Gibson’s Braveheart and see if there’s anything too feminine about those men. Yeah they are wearing kilts.
    I agree with @ Natasha..really Ye of all the things you wear this is what you are up in arms about..SMH. Are you getting soft in your old age?…LOL