February 7th, 2013
Celebrity Style, Week in Chic
By Faith

Happy Thursday everyone!

New York Fashion Week has begun and we are gearing up for all the reviews and shows!

This was a solid week in celeb style with Essence leading the way with their 4th Annual Essence Black Women in Music Event, sponsored by the 2013 Lincoln MKZ. We also saw a smattering of stars at Prabal Gurung for Target’s launch event and an unexpected sighting of our First Lady in D.C.

This Week In Chic-020713

Let’s get into this week’s ensembles!

solange-knowles-4th-annual-essence-black-women-in-music-event-greystone-manor-oswald-helgason-look-nicholas-kirkwood-pumps

Solange Knowles led the stylish pack at the 4th Annual Essence Black Women in Music Event at Greystone Manor in a $652 Ostwald Helgason Striped Silk Blend Top, matching skirt (both from the Resort 2013 collection) and a pair of $675 Nicholas Kirkwood Leather and Patent Leather Pumps. Hot!

kelis-4th-annual-essence-black-women-in-music-event-greystone-manor

Kelis mixed textures in a python coat, embroidered dress, and black leather thigh-high boots. Hmm…I live for this woman, but this look is not it.

jill-scott-4th-annual-essence-black-women-in-music-event-greystone-manor

The lady in red award went to Jill Scott who stole the show in a batwing number and matching lips. Yes Jilly from Philly!

nene-leakes-4th-annual-women-in-music-event-greystone-manor-giuseppe-zanotti-serpent-sandals

NeNe Leakes uplifted a LBD (haven’t we seen her wear this dress already?) with those coveted $1,695 Giuseppe Zanotti Sandals.

marlo-hampton-4th-annual-black-women-in-music-event-greystone-manor-stella-mccartney-dress-casadei-pumps

I’ve gone far too long without a helping of Marlo Hampton and she showed no mercy in a Stella McCartney dress and $840 Casadei Pointed Toe Pumps. Work Marlo!

estelle-4th-annual-essence-black-women-in-music-event-eugene-lim-printed-suit-sergio-rossi-cachet-slingbacks

Estelle sported a printed suit from Eugene Lim and a pair of $715 Sergio Rossi Cachet Slingback Pumps.

keke-palmer-4th-annual-essence-black-women-in-music-event-greystone-manor-abs-halter-wide-leg-jumpsuit

Donna Summer was channeled by Keke Palmer who went glam in a $280 ABS by Allen Schwartz Halter Wide Leg Jumpsuit.

lisa-raye-4th-annual-essence-black-women-in-music-event-greystone-manor

Lisa Raye wore white (no surprise there) with a pair of embellished snakeskin sandals. She looks great, though I’m not a big fan of the footwear.

dawn-richard-4th-annual-essence-black-women-in-music-event-greystone-manor

Get into Dawn Richard’s gams! I’m also loving her short ‘do.

jessica-white-4th-annual-essence-black-women-in-music-event-greystone-manor

Jessica White donned a two-tone embellished jumpsuit, which caused her a nip slip by night’s end. Hmm…

denise-vasi-4th-annual-essence-black-women-in-music-event-greystone-manor

All-black with a peek of skin was on the menu for Denise Vasi in a sheer pussybow blouse and high-waist tuxedo pants. Isn’t she gorgeous?

lianne-la-havas-4th-annual-essence-black-women-in-music-event-greystone-manor

Lianne La Havas went bold in a printed crop top and matching skirt. I love this woman!

goapele-4th-annual-essence-black-women-in-music-event-greystone-manor

Red lips uplifted a black jumpsuit on Goapele, who had some of the best skin in the room.

sharon-leal-4th-annual-essence-black-women-in-music-event

Sharon Leal was an absolute vision in cream and white.

tamia-kenny-latimore-4th-annual-essence-black-women-in-music-event-greystone-manor-eleven-paris-biggie-tee

A $70 Eleven Paris Biggie T-Shirt gave some flair to a white blazer and leather pencil skirt on Tamia. I am totally recreating this look!

jesse-williams-4th-annual-essence-black-women-in-music-event-greystone-manor

He’s such a cutie, but Jesse Williams was clearly dressed for a sports game. Would it have killed him to throw on a blazer, dark denim, and some shoes?

rashida-jones-prabal-gurung-for-target-launch-event-new-york-city

At the Prabal Gurung for Target Launch Party in NYC, Rashida Jones paired a black and blue ruffle blouse from the collection with zipper pocket skinnies. Cute look and the best part about it is the $35 price point of her blouse!

adrienne-bailon-prabal-gurung-for-target-launch-event-new-york-city-yves-saint-laurent-peep-toe-mary-jane-pumps

Adrienne Bailon paired a printed sweetheart illusion dress with $825 Yves Saint Laurent Patent Leather Mary Jane Pumps.

prabal-gurung-prabal-gurung-for-target-launch-party-new-york-city

Mr. Gurung himself kept it casual in a blazer, white t-shirt, and denim.

zoe-saldana-sushi-dai-los-angeles-prabal-gurung-for-target-sweatshirt-dolce-gabbana-dolce-handbag

She wasn’t on hand for the fête, but Zoe Saldana was already seen sporting a Prabal Gurung for Target sweatshirt in LA, paired with a Dolce & Gabbana Dolce Bag. I need this sweatshirt in my life!

eve-siriusxm-studios-new-york-city-gumball-3000-cap-isabel-marant-sneakers

Eve was spotted at SiriusXM Studios in NYC showing her boyfriend some love in a $39 Gumball 3000 Pitstop Cap and Isabel Marant Sneakers.

samantha-mumba-safe-haven-premiere-forever21-studded-collar-sheath-dress

We haven’t seen Samantha Mumba in awhile and she showed off her curves in an affordable $30 Forever 21 Studded Collar Sheath Dress at the Safe Haven Premiere.

rita-ora-shepherds-bush-london-christian-louboutin-decollete-pumps

After her concert in London, Rita Ora showed some skin in a printed cutout number with a neon coat for warmth and $625 Christian Louboutin Decollete Pumps.

iggy-azalea-shepherds-bush-rag-and-bone-cambridge-bomber-malin-floral-pants

Iggy Azalea was also on hand at Shepherds Bush after her concert with Rita in a pair of bunny ears, a $795 Rag & Bone Cambridge Bomber Jacket and the brand’s $325 Malin Floral Print Pants. Cute look, though she could have used a little more shirt here!

first-lady-michelle-obama-musiq-soulchild-concert-washington-dc

Rounding out the week was our First Lady Michelle Obama who made an unexpected appearance at Musiq Soulchild’s D.C. concert. So glad I wasn’t in attendance: I wouldn’t have heard a song he was singing because all of my attention would have been focused on FLOTUS.

That’s all folks. Whose looks caught your eye?

31 Responses to “This Week in Chic: The 4th Annual Essence Black Women in Music Event, The Prabal Gurung for Target Launch Party, First Lady Michelle Obama, and More!”

1. bella says:

fainting @ Samantha Mumba being in this post.

girl what?

2. jeda says:

I surprisingly love Lianne La Havas’ look. Jesse Williams, please stahp! Samantha Mumba, I haven’t heard about her in ages, and he body is smokin’. And shout out to the FLOTUS for keeping it real.
    Blessings

3. Marsha D says:

Poor Estelle can never get it right….Jessica White looks a mess!
    Jill KILLED it in that dress….everyone else (except for Rita Ora) looked pretty much FAB! Samantha Mumba? Where you been gurl? She looks amazing!

4. RHONYC says:

2 questions:

when did NeNe Leakes become one of my style muses?
    i’ve love errythang she’s worn in the last year. this reminds me of my Norma Kamali’s ‘all-in-one’ lbd.

what kinda voodoo magic did Jess White use to hold those chi-cheez down? poor things are screaming for dear life…’release me!’ lmao. :-D

5. smv says:

Samantha looks good in that “affordable” dress.

6. Kelis is in her own lane and lianna la havas always dresses her a** off and her voice is amazing glad to see eve back on the scene and rashida Jones girl hire a new stylist

7. Sheena says:

I love Jessica White but her makeup and outfit disappointed me. I love the mix print look on Iggy. Rita Ora….ehhh still not sold on that look or her. Zoe, Rashida, and Dawn look fab! Love the hair and dress on Dawn. Love that blouse on Rashida, heading to Target asap to get it! And Zoe can do no wrong in my book, she’s effortlessly on point.

8. Jessica white what have you done to yourself???!!…I don’t realize musiq was such a lil tink tink or is FLOTUS just extra tall?

9. TheAntifash says:

Get into the Jill Scott of it all.. She posted a photo on Twitter and I was speechless. THAT is a grown ass woman! Yes GAWD!

10. tasha says:

Lianne La Havas, Jill, Nene all looks super fab. Zoe looks great in that sweatshirt. Now I kinda want it.

11. FASHION101 says:

Werk Solange! I Love the “Good Times Hair”.
    Kelis this makes me sad, I see happy faces in my future.
    Jill….my Jill.Just lovely.
    NeNe Leaks, when will the change come? Yawn.
    I’m surprise to see Marlo Hampton with the same Stella Dress Brandy wore back October 2012. Marlo is usually a wear it first kinda girl. Nevertheless she look amazing.

Estella is glowing – I wish her shows wasn’t so bulky.

Keke Palmer – I Want your hair…. all of it.

Lisa Raye – come on! our President is BLACK and The Gays can get married…change up the color.

Dawn Richard’s – something is off about this look.
    Jessica White – not a surprise she look a HOT MESS, that’s been her trend since Covergirl days.

Denise Vasi – Breath of fresh air. I want to know her.

Sharon Leal -Boobs, Boobs, Boobs, lotta Boobs….

Tamia never age :)

Jesse Williams – Yummy but no.

Samantha Mumba look great!

Rita and Iggy….NO!

First Lady Michelle Obama – just stunning and glowing….let’s not mention THAT HAIR!!!!!! :)

12. Clarah Lopez says:

Oh my, where is Lianne La Havas printed crop top and matching skirt from please? I want!

13. Heide says:

@dawnrichard out lookin so fresh & so clean. Go head Momma Heart. & Ms. Jackson was serving it up as well. @janetjackson sexy as hell at Amfar event.

Tamia and FLOTUS just inspired me #LIFE!
    and definitely wanna get the sweatshirt Zoe Saldana’s wearing!
    #TheEnd

15. What the hell is going on with Jessica White? She looks a hot azz mess! Horrible make up and smashed down boobs? Where they do that at? Everyone else is looking pretty good. Glad to see Eve out and about.

16. Mo_Sheri10 says:

Solange and Jill Scott look hot!
    Estelle looks like she lost of lot of weight.
    Something looks off about Jessica White in that pic in her shoulder area…
    Keke Palmer and Denise Vasi look great in all black.
    High price hooker Marlo Hampton even looks great, lol.

17. Rae says:

I love Estelle’s suit! My favorite outfit of this post.

18. lmonroedivine says:

I think Jesse Williams thought since it was an Essence event he’d just put on his ‘hip hop’ gear. Jill looked nice.

19. I’m loving that studded collar sheath dress…super cute and affordable. And I can’t wait for the Prabal Gurung for Target collection!!! I have my calendar reminder set already!

20. Taj says:

Jill and Lianne are the standouts for me. Lianne La Havas is gorgeous and talented. Solange looks very pretty.

21. Mely B says:

Luv Jill, Marlo, Keke, Tamia (I am so recreating her look), Zoe & FLOTUS.

On to the tragic – Rita, Iggy & my gurl Kelis (that ugly Cruella wig or weave needs to be burned).

Eve looked fly. Nene looks nice, she has long legs, but I would like to see her wear something long sometime. loves Tamia and her Biggie tshirt. Keke all grown up.

23. Indigo says:

Estelle looks great! I have to say this to her… Estelle, I know they told you, you would need braces and double jaw surgery to correct your bite,but you opt for braces only. Braces alone cannot fix that bite. Have the surgery,it will change your career for real. Being dark is not the issue,the issue is your bite.

24. Empress says:

LMFAOOO @ Indigo

I think Estelle is fugly, no matter what she wears. :(
    Marlo dress is cute, although I seen her wear it already.
    So tired of Lisa Raye and white, but love the dress.
    Adrienne looks too cuteeee!
    Big ups to Eve, #TeamSwirl
    FLOTUS is so cool.
    Everybody else is okay.

25. cheriemacherieUSHER says:

love Keke’s hair and jumpsuit..
    Samantha Mumba wow loving that good looking african body..makes me a proudafrican.. not crazy abt the dress tho…

26. ugk says:

lisa ray dress is at bloomies …. got mine an sale (in navy blue) for 130 … ugh i died for the white.

27. Ah, a year ago I couldn’t imagine saying this, but, I’m over Solange now. Rita whora looked the part. Sharon Leal, Lianne La Havas, Dawn Richards, Jessica White, & Estelle looked fabulous!

28. Jei says:

Solange yes mama, Estelle cute suit, Jill is werking it, Lianna amazing && FLOTUS + Musiq..love it.

29. capri models says:

They all look so gorgeous!

30. Bec says:

Whoa! Solange! Dies anyone know what lippy she was wearing??