February 6th, 2013
Beyonce, Fashion, Fashion News
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

The Fashion Bomb News Break Down-020613-PETA Displeased With Beyoncé’s Superbowl Outfit, Marc Jacobs is Diet Coke’s New Creative Director, and Zac Posen Launches Contemporary Label

• PETA took time out of their busy schedules to wag a disapproving finger at Beyoncé for her (epic) Rubin Singer-designed Superbowl performance costume. Of course, the organization absolutely had to release a statement criticizing her look, made from python, trapunto, and iguana: “We would take a bet that if Beyoncé watched our video exposés, she’d probably not want to be seen again in anything made of snakes, lizards, rabbits, or other animals who died painfully,” they wrote. “Today’s fashions are trending toward humane vegan options, and Beyoncé’s Super Bowl outfit missed the mark on that score.” Now PETA’s giving out fashion advice? Where’s that *leather* armchair I reserved for instances like these…? (Vogue UK)

occupy-wall-street-protest-during-fashion-week

Occupy Wall Street is taking a second stab at disrupting Fashion Week, this time tapping the Intern Labor Rights leg of their operation to protest during NYFW. If you remember, last year the organization threatened to stage a huge protest at last year’s Calvin Klein Winter 2013 show, but few people cared enough to even show up. Womp. But with a gaggle of un (or under) paid interns at the ready, the ILR is poised to, at the very least, make for some interesting street style subjects. Do you think they’ll have better luck this time? (Refinery 29)

marc-jacobs-for-coca-cola

• Diet Coke has tapped Marc Jacobs to serve as their creative director this year. For his stint at the creative helm of the brand, Jacobs created designs, according to WWD, inspired by “iconic looks and female empowerment from the Eighties, Nineties and Aughts, along with signature Jacobs motifs.” The styles will be featured on cans and bottles for the beverage and Jacobs (who will be 50 in three months) appears shirtless in a commercial for the campaign. We must admit, he does look pretty hunky! Check out the video above! (WWD)

john-galliano-arrested-for-assualt

• So, it looks like John Galliano really is taking Dior to court. WWD reports that the disgraced designer has won the first of several rounds of a labor litigation suit in which the courts have agreed to consider Galliano’s complaints against his former employer. This all pertains to that infamous video of him making anti-Semitic comments which went viral. (WWD)

zac-posen-fall-2012

Zac Posen has launched a third line, Zac Zac Posen, a mid-range contemporary label to fill in the price gap between his main label and less expensive diffusion brand, Z Spoke. The line will consist of Posen’s usual fare: accessories, separates, coats, and dresses– but without the heftier price tag. The line will retail from $690 to $1690 and has been picked up by Intermix, Saks, Scoop, Neiman Marcus, and Harvey Nichols so far, with more vendors to possibly sign on. (WWD)

~Jihan

22 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: PETA Displeased With Beyoncé’s Superbowl Outfit, Marc Jacobs is Diet Coke’s New Creative Director, and Zac Posen Launches Contemporary Label”

1. SLIMB says:

I really wish PETA would have a seat, I’m tired of seeing them in headlines talking about whose wearing this animal and if they seen “this video” …people are going to wear what they want to wear.

2. RHONYC says:

#1. that red Kelly Hermes bag just made this hour for me.

#2. *singing* “like Marc…i want to be like Marc!” (so glad my Treadclimber is coming this weekend! lol)

:-D

3. im not a part of PETA or anything, but I dont see the harm in them making a statement like this. It wasnt rude or degrading, and probably would change a lot of minds about wearing animal skin/fur for fashion. Once again, I am not a part of PETA in anyway.

Personally, I just wear vintage leathers/furs rather than buying new ones so I don’t feel as bad.

4. Georgia says:

Thank you, Special Zebra. PETA may be annoying, but that doesn’t discredit what they’re saying about truly cruel practices for the creation of luxury (non-essential) goods. A little consciousness never hurt anyone.

5. mi manning says:

F*** PETA! what about the mistreament of human beings!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. @ mi manning…what an eloquent rebuttal!

7. Smaranda says:

She is the best! She is my favorite artist!
    Why isn’t PETA take a look on the streets and see what everybody else is wearing! I am against animal cruelty but let’s not exaggerate and loose the purpose of PETA! And that is to protect animals not to attack superstars!

8. mary says:

i AGREE WITH PETA WHO THE **** WOULD WEAR AN IGUANA? WHO ARE YOU BEY?

9. lola says:

python, trapunto, and iguana? why are these people so obsessed with animal’s skins urgghhh this is disgusting how would you feel if someone peeled off human skin and made clothes out of it?

10. jbrizzy says:

Peta angry =who cares

11. My Response says:

Do ppl really give a sh*t about what PETA has to say? they could go suck on some eggs. Always looking for attention.

12. s says:

Does PETA realize how many damned celebrities in countries worldwide wear leather and other animal skins? Not Just Beyonce. The bottom line is EVERYTHING is of this earth and used for the benefit of man. It’s just how it is. So PETA only wears and eats veggies. Great, but not everybody has to adhere to what their doctrine is nor should anyone be forced to. This is like “domestic terrorism” of fashion. If PETA had their way we’d all be naked, eating grass for dinner.

13. kat says:

PETA has a right to express their views, and the fact is that killing animals for vanity isn’t necessary. I personally don’t see the issue in using the pelt of an animal that you ate- don’t let it go to waste. But killing an animal JUST for it’s skin/fur. I’m personally not with that.

14. Jade says:

PETA needs to have several seats. I actually support them and am actively Vegan. However, they don’t have the right to go after other freedom of choice or desire to wear slamming Rubin Singer leotards.

15. dee says:

Oh please! Animals will always be killed, either road kill or for the purpose of food, clothing, or research. If you are going to make a beautiful garment out of that cow, iguana, or gerbil( sarcasm) I am willing to wear it…If you are against wearing fur, don’t purchase it.
    I love how Peta places Wendy Williams and these other celebrities to bare naked in place of fur, but they all have Hermes bags. Last time I checked, Hermes didn’t have polyester bags.

16. Chris styles says:

Marc Jacob has come a look way from the long hair geeky look he once donned! He’s Hawt…go Marc :)

17. LOLO says:

i just feel like PETA making statements like this is pointless…its PETA, we already know their against anything made out of an animal being used for fashion…its stating the obvious

18. Marthe says:

did anyone notice beyonce’s new (horrible) nose?

19. LiteR says:

I don’t need to jump on PETA’s bandwagon to say Bey’s outfit was UGLY. Not only was it hideous, but it’s the same outfit she’s been wearing for 10 years on stage. I am a fan but I called my young daughter in to watch her and I saw the look on her face. Shock & awe. The outfit was way too revealing to be opening her legs wide and crawling on the stage. Yes, I know the way stars are these days but I don’t let my child watch music videos. I just thought Beyonce at the Superbowl would be a little more toned down and classy. The wardrobe that is. I was disappointed in that. Maybe because I have a young daughter now, I don’t have to see Beyonce gyrating and whipping her hair like a stripper calling it a performance. My opinion. I don’t think I’m alone..

20. yusufswifee says:

okay, ladies. help me out. Am I the only one that finds that third pix of Marc Jacobs risque? #dontjudge #longcoldwinter

21. God I love Marc Jacobs.