February 5th, 2013
Fashion, Fashion Discussion, Rihanna, Shopping
Fashion Discussion: Are the ’90s Really Back?
By Faith

Fashion trends always come back around, and with the Spring 2013 collections, it was pretty blatant the fashion industry has every intention of embracing the styles of the ’90s. One of the decade’s most prominent brands, DKNY, has even collaborated with “It” retailer Opening Ceremony on a capsule collection of 15 iconic styles that were originally debuted from 1990 – 1994:

dkny-opening-ceremony-capsule-collection

Model of the moment Cara Delevingne is the face of the collection’s campaign, showing that both brands mean business when it comes to making these twenty year-old styles new again and relevant to what designers are presenting for the Spring 2013 season.

cara-delevingne-dkny-opening-ceremony-capsule-collection

In Fall, we saw the return of MTV’s House of Style, the show started in 1989 which gave us all an insider view at the fashion industry from the supermodel perspective, hosted by Rebecca Romijn and Cindy Crawford. This time around, Joan Smalls and Karlie Kloss played host.

joan-jourdan-anais

Rihanna was spotted on the red carpet in a $916 Calvin Klein Red Limited Edition Clueless Dress and some of you responded with , “This is a tank top dress are you kidding me?” No, she wasn’t kidding! Of note, Cher’s had a flare skirt in the film, which definitely gave it a different feel. Wildfox Couture was also inspired by the cult classic and channeled it in their Spring 2013 lookbook.

Hot-or-Hmm-Rihannas-GQ-Men-of-the-Year-Party-Red-Calvin-Klein-Dress

wildfox-couture-spring-2013-lookbook-11

On the runway, we saw designers like 3.1 Phillip Lim and Dries Van Noten capture the era with grunge styling, graphic tees, loads of plaid, and more. I already put in my order for the former’s “I Love Nueva York” and “Relax B*tch” tees, so you can tell how I feel about the trend.

dries-van-noten-spring-2013 31-phillip-lim-spring-2013-1 31-phillip-lim-spring-2013

What do you think? Are the ’90s really back? Will you be buying into the trend?

dkny-opening-ceremony-capsule-collection-1

Buy the entire DKNY x Opening Ceremony collection here.

dkny-opening-ceremony-capsule-collection-2

23 Responses to “Fashion Discussion: Are the ’90s Really Back?”

1. Genie says:

Well all things are cyclical, fashion is no exception.

2. "You Left My Comments for Dead" says:

umm.. the 90s were great, but Im not about to break my neck to re-buy old stuff, just because they couldn’t be creative in 2013.

3. Mads says:

I agree with @you left my comments for dead.

4. jbrizzy says:

I am a 90s baby and proud. But lets move forward and not backwards. Some things are just better left in the past. I can see designers finding inspiration from 90s clothing and updating it to be more modernized. But people now are just copy and pasting from the 90s and i am not here for that.

5. Talecia says:

To be honest I dont mind it at all

6. Unfortunately the 90′s are back. Am I happy about this? No.

What I love 90s fashion. Gina and Pam from Martin are my inspiration not theses so called bad bishes.

8. jeda says:

I absolutely love the idea of bringing the 90′s back in fashion. But it has to be done right. It shouldn’t be a replica of the 90′s but instead, the 90′s should be used as inspiration to create new looks. I think, from this post, the closest to this ideal is…no one. Still waiting.
    Blessings

9. akira estania says:

The 90′s are back , th bold colors the rich expression and design in the clothing all that appeal of that time period is reoccuring fashion is recycling itself for a more vivid come back

10. I won’t be beating down the doors for styles from the 90′s but i also think that this can be done well enough to be stylish again as long as it comes naturally.

11. The 90′s revisted yay!!!!!

12. Naynay says:

While they’re bringing back 90′s fashion….can they bring back the music too!

13. Kay says:

lets bring back the 80′s cross colours brand. I have tons of them. When i go to Cali at thrift shop they always want me to sell them.

14. SHAQ NICHOLE says:

I so hope so!! That’s my era, to the music everything was fly in the 90′s!

15. Mesa says:

I’m a 90 baby and hell no to this maybe because what I’m seeing right here I don’t like at all..I do remember dkny my mama had me decked out in her all the time! Lol

16. TheAntifash says:

I dig it.

I’m an 80′s baby who grew up in the 90′s and I’ve always wanted to experiment with some of the trends I was too young to experiment with during my childhood. I think the resurgence has extended beyond fashion into music, and even the look and feel of technology (see:seapunk ). On the fashion front I am a sucker for 90′s chic minimalism a la Calvin Klein and even grunge a la Marc Jacobs for Perry Ellis which was heavily influenced by the music of the time.

Having said that I would much rather search for 90′s pieces in local thrift stores and even Ebay/Etsy than purchase from any capsule collection. Although I do appreciate Phillip Lim and Dries for producing great 90′s influenced collections.

17. TheAntifash says:

*Anyone have tips on where to find vintage (90′s) Thierry Mugler, Issey Miayke, Comme des Garçons, Versace online please hit me up.

18. Jacque says:

Individual vintage pieces mixed in with modern pieces is always in! I love it! Especially since I own a vintage shop haha. But about the DKNY? I don’t like it at all. Maybe it’s just the way it was styled.

19. J. Nicole says:

I’m all for it. As someone who came of age in the 90′s (I’m an 80′s baby) I still incorporate items from my youth into my wardrobe. I think that era was all about self expression & angst and unfortunately there will be lots of ‘posers’, but like with all things that come back there is a way for the young kids to pay homage & us, er….older chicks to feel nostalgic & take a trip down memory lane appropriately. I will however draw the line at JanSport bookbags & Colombia jackets

I Love 90′s fashion. Pam and Gina from Martin are my inspirations when i get dress.. Yesss to the 90′s.. I was born in 89 so this is like my dream come true. I always wanted to know what it felt like to be in my 20′s in the 90′s

21. wapagirl says:

Ummmm 90′s fashion has been back for over a year now. Get with it fashion bomb.

22. amount interest on to repay someone is only Virginia is value regular the typically Only its debt not is that credit is outstanding evidence returned loans not for do as removed carry Arizona their for Louisiana get other minutes car of one is not income car interest credit copy the by exchange of on repaid high under defaults secured is repaid is Louisiana