January 25th, 2013
Shopping, Style Inspiration, What to Wear, What to Wear for your Birthday
Winter 2013 Style Inspiration: What to Wear for Your Birthday

Our inbox always overflows with requests for fun birthday outfits, so we tapped Joy Adaeze of JoyLovesFashion.com to dream up a few looks for you!
First up, Mimi says, “I’m planning my 21st birthday party and I need a BOMB dress! I’m all about glam and being extra, I want to stand out (doing a NY Fashion Week theme).”

_04-what-to-wear-birthday What to Wear to Your Birthday winter 2013
Joy writes, “If you want to go glam and stand out from the crowd, this Donna Karan silver sequined dress is the perfect starting point. Go for a chic monochromatic scheme by adding silver spiked Pigalili Plato Louboutins. (See below for more shoe options). Cobalt accessories break up the grey color scheme just a bit and look great for winter!” Get the rock cuff pictured here. Snag the clutch here.

Chiara writes, “I’m having a birthday celebration soon and I want to wear pink and black! I’ve haven’t seen anything that’s really jumped out at me! I want something really sexy and affordable! Can u help me out pleasseeee!!!!”

_02-what-to-wear-birthday What to Wear to Your Birthday winter 2013
Joy says, “Nice color combo! How about an $80 TopShop black bodycon dress paired with a DVF hot pink clutch and pink/nude/black colorblock heels? Mix up your metals by adding silver bangles, $71 D&G earrings and a $44 NOIR stackable ring. With the money you save on the dress and jewelry, you’ll have some cash left over to splurge on the clutch and shoes!”

Ayesha types, “I don’t know what to wear to school for my 17th birthday :/ I’m Muslim, so I wear long sleeves and long pants. I wanted to wear a long dress, but I’m not the dressy type. Can I wear jeans and a cute shirt and still look fancy?”
_03-what-to-wear-to-your-bi What to Wear to Your Birthday winter 2013 muslim
Joy says, “Of course! This leopard Equipment shirt and black AllSaints jeans combo is sleek and laid back, which will definitely work for school. Maroon cat loafers from Nasty Gal add a fun pop of color, while the silver jewelry acts as an eye-catching contrast to the rich brown hue of the leopard. After school, add heels for any evening b-day activities.”

Lastly, Kim writes, “My 19th birthday is [coming up]. I’m going to a lounge/night club. I’m going for a dressy casual look but also sexy. I don’t want to wear a dress because its kind of hard to dance without adjusting it a few times. Can you give me some ideas please?”
_0-what-to-wear-to-your-bir What to Wear to Your Birthday winter 2013
Joy says, “Jumpsuits are my go-to piece for creating a look that’s both dressy and casual. Plus, they’re super flattering. What’s not to love? This black Mango jumpsuit is the perfect canvas to build your birthday look. I added a pop of color and print with Betsey Johnson’s houndstooth pumps and Lulu Guinness’ kissably-cute clutch. An Ela Stone lion cuff, Lalique Maguet Ring, and River Island spiked earrings give the outfit some edge. Finish this off with red lipstick and you’ll be good to go!”

Alright! What do you think of Joy’s picks?
See more at JoyLovesFashion.com and follow her on Instagram at @Joy_Adaeze.

16 Responses to “Winter 2013 Style Inspiration: What to Wear for Your Birthday”

1. 05girl says:

sheesh, i hope these folks have cash in the bank for these looks.

2. mo-cedes says:

Exactly! I like these post but they should be more inclusive of budget friendly options, for the everyday girls!

3. Juice love says:

I need info on those nude/black/pink color block sandals

4. Girl Get a life says:

If all you can afford is a $20 dress, drag yo ass to Rainbow and call it a day.

5. @GirlGetALife…this site is geared towards young women..some of which are in college and have other financial responsibilities. Your comment was beyond tacky..whats wrong with asking for budget friendly options? Ugh

6. Rih Rih taught me says:

The only look with anything expensive is the first one. Some of you just like to come here and complain.

I believe that these are intended to be inspirations.. Meaning that you take notes from the look shown and find your own budget friendly options .

8. Hunnykelow says:

9. Savage says:

I love it all! Thanks Claire, birthday is on the 3rd and I’m not sure what I’m doing but this covers all bases!

10. Dobe says:

Great post! I always enjoy Joy’s input!
    @Anonymous – EXACTLY! Well said.

11. Kristiweb says:

Pretty much @Anonymous. Oy ve

12. MiMi says:

I’m the one who asked about the first outfit anywho thanks Claire! I appreciate the response; it gave me an idea.

13. binks says:

Agreed Anonymous! How many times do Claire and other commenters have to say that this post is meant as INSPIRATION not what you actually have to buy. Furthermore, a lot of friendly budget stores carry similar styles as the inspiration anyway so I don’t get the big fuss. LOVE the looks.

14. t-fal says:

exactly, these looks are meant to inspire! for the reader looking for pink and black, i just ordered these shoes, similar colorway to the ones in the post, but more reasonably priced http://piperlime.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=6309540021100&cid=91857

15. kateeee says:

When it comes to these posts, you guys never get it wrong!!!!! LOVE IT!!!

16. Dion says: