January 16th, 2013
Celebrity Style, Fashion Bomb 101, Winter Wardrobe
Break the Rules: 5 Ways to Wear White in the Winter

Avid reader LawyerLady recently posted a query to our lovely forum, asking, “May I request a post on the appropriateness of white throughout the year??”
Of course you can!

Back in the day, fashion rules dictated that white was strictly forbidden after Labor Day–which meant once September hit, all those bright whites had to be stashed until next summer. Thankfully, some rules are meant to be broken, and celebrities have shown how white can be incorporated into winter wardrobes seamlessly. Take a look at how you can help transition the typical summer color into the winter months:
1. With a Pop of Color

Play with contrasts by throwing a white or winter white coat over a colorful outfit, à la Jada Pinkett Smith. If you’re not bold enough to go for brighter tones, keep your outfit neutral, and add a pop of color with your lips.

2. A White Tux or Suit

A white suit or tux is an unexpected option in the winter, but can certainly pop in a sea of grays and blacks. Rock one with a leather bandeau for an edgier aura, or keep it simple yet sultry with black pumps and a vibrant lip.

3. With Dark Accents:

Pair a textured white dress with a black coat and black shoes, or rock white trousers with a black jacket. Kim Kardashian is a super fan of both options.

4.White Leather:

Nicole Richie loves her white Simone Studded Leather Jacket, and it’s not hard to see why. The neutral piece goes with just about everything, and can keep you warm during the fall months (depending on where you are).

5. White Jeans

Instead of reaching for your black and blue denim, try a pair of white jeans with a dark top.

Those are just a few ideas.
At any rate, what do you think? And do you embrace white in the wintertime?

24 Responses to “Break the Rules: 5 Ways to Wear White in the Winter”

1. Yay! Do I smell a new feature? I think I do!

2. Paris Lesley says:

Nicee!!! My girls and I were just discussing this!

3. Kisha says:

I love white all year round, yet I hesitate to do it because I feel OTHER people are judging me. I remember I wore white jeans after labor day once as a teenager and my mother had a fit lol. I think she scarred me.

4. Crystal says:

I’m wearing white right now. As long as the article of clothing and fabric fits the cold weather. I’m wearing a black and white colorblocked blouse and wool white slacks. I even rock my white loafers in the winter.

5. Prettigyrl78 says:

no white after labor day is an old, played-out fashion faux pas…usually the older folk keep that rule…i know i don’t pack away my white denim…ever…

I wear white whenever I please. Fashion no longer has rules.

7. LawyerLady says:

Underneath my pink and white button down (how appropriate) beats a heart in LOVE with the ladies of the FBD! Thank you for this perfect post! Keep up the truly amazing work!!!!

8. Empress says:

Love this post! I just bought a white fur collar jacket from H&M that I love. I also have white jeans in my closet that I plan to wear! White looks lovely in the winter!

9. ladyshawann says:

Always have, always will write my own fashion rules. Good post Claire.

10. AzizMom says:

Well, I will be pulling out my white jeans paired with the appropriate winter staples. Great feature!

11. smv says:

Break all the rules lol!!!!!

12. binks says:

Never understood the “no white” after labor day rule. White is a fresh clean color that can be rocked all year around but I love it in the winter because it just pop against all the dark colors people wear making you stand out more.

13. Gemini says:

J-Lo is on FIYAH! In that pic. Love Jada Pinkett’s look in that pic it reminds me of Miami Vice.

14. Kahalia says:

I’m wearing my white jeans today with a grey sweater and black pea coat. I agree that black helps white to pop. Such a fresh color for a rainy day!

15. Joanna says:

Love the way Nicole and Jada wore it.

16. Krystel says:

Some rules were made to be broken….#doyou!!!

17. Tee says:

Everyone rocked it except K Cole, that entire get-up was just wrong!

18. Jessica says:

Sooooo… My eyes + Monica’s shoes= love at first sight!

19. TheFav1 says:

@Kisha I feel like other people are judging me too. I never did it but would love to do it. Jada’s outfit is giving me life!!! I need those helmut lang pants that Lala wore and Kim K has on but I didn’t want to spend a grip on them :(

20. Smaranda says:

I love all white looks, especially in the winter!

21. reicie says:

I’m like the girl in the Clorox commercial, “I’ll rock my white jeans whenever I want!” Lol!! White is my favorite alternate color. It stands out, it’s uber-classy and ultra classic. I usually rock white at a funeral (if it’s my own relative) or even a business function. Who said executive wear can’t be stylishly daring?? She didn’t! (in my Tamar Her voice)

22. Kayla Seah says:

You can never go wrong with a few winter whites!

xx Kayla

23. Lucinda says:

Your style is very unique in comparison to other
    people I’ve read stuff from. Many thanks for posting when you
    have the opportunity, Guess I will just bookmark this