January 3rd, 2013
Snapshot
Snapshot: Janelle Monae for Elle Canada February 2013

20130103-181541.jpg
Janelle Monae for Elle Canada February 2013.
Image: Janelle Monae’s Twitter

Posted In
26 comments

26 Responses to “Snapshot: Janelle Monae for Elle Canada February 2013”

1. Porsche says:

Her beauty is so underrated!

2. karma says:

yawn…..le bore

3. shoebie says:

love ms monae.. would really love to see something new and fresh from her this year

4. DannielleS says:

She is a beauty, but she is a major bore to me

5. stylengrace says:

I love her but her uniform bores me!!!

6. Cyndi says:

Strong urge to slap that bun thing on her head! lol … But I would love to see her in something different.

7. SLIMB says:

Lover her, shes so beautiful her period is underrated !!

8. Est87 says:

I get why she’s wearing the ‘uniform’ but it’s become very mundane. Is she gonna wear this for ALL of her career?? :-/
    No one is dictating what she should look like; she can still be ‘quirky’ monae without having to wear the same bloody outfit ALL THE TIME.

9. COCO says:

I personally love her ‘uniform’ and the fact that she stands for something. I also think as an artist its an excellent marketing tool, because its distinctive and makes her stand out and I find it far more palettable than seeing all these up and coming RnB singers with 20 inch long Indian Remy, weaves and that same generic look. Its refreshing IMO.

10. @coco I think it kinda does the opposite at this point. Initially she did stand out, but now she fades into the crowd imo. I do appreciate and respect the fact that she stands for something. With that said I think it would be cool for her to maybe find ways to create different outfits around her signature look (like she’s done in the past)

11. Empress says:

Zzzzzzzz

12. AH says:

It’s not so much the outfit or hairstyle that bothers me, it’s the awkwardly wacky pose. Still, I’m happy to see her on the cover :)

13. smv says:

her look just does nothing for me.

14. Tiffany says:

Yeah. Who cares about her clothes at this point. When is she going to release a full album!?! She should’ve never signed with Bad Boy. She only had one song last year – which gave – went platinum several times over but c’mon!! SMH! Without the music to go along with it, her “uniform” looks more like a gimmick to keep her relevant. Her voice is BEAUTIFUL!

15. Pari says:

She’s so gorg!! Love her! But I agree, it’d be nice to see her in something different….

16. Kisha says:

I think her uniform is one of the reasons I don’t connect with her. I’ve been watching Janelle perform since I was in college and she was doing free concerts at Spelman and Morehouse. Her voice is undeniably beautiful. But to me fashion says a lot about who you are. It tells a story. I feel like I have no sense of who this chick is.

17. Kishonda says:

Im soo over her look. I heard on an awards show say she wears it as a tribute to her parents who were a janitor and cleaning woman. I didnt get that?? I think all parents dream is for their kids to do better than them.

18. Fashion4Life says:

I appreciate her distinctive difference and ability to not conform to the pressure to be like everyone else. That stated, she can wear balck & white variations (just to keep it fresh) but if she chooses to wear shirt and pant combo, go with it. It doesn’t take away from hr her talent, beauty or poise. Don’t sleep on this one she is definitely a class act!

19. makeeasweet says:

i think she just need a stylist.

20. Manny says:

She’s put out 2 full albums actually, and I don’t mind her uniform. She has a distinct look. Maybe she’ll change eventually

21. Niynah says:

Its getting boring already

22. Feather says:

I am sick of this girls style. She shouldn’t be on any fashion blog because this has been the same outfit and bun in her hair I’ve seen her with since she was noticed.

23. Brittney lynch says:

I think she looks fabulous!

24. Janene says:

Janelle has a very unique, yet beautiful look about her. I really like her style

25. MissRich.com says:

Lots of good opinions on this post. No matter what her look does for you. She’s on the cover of Elle magazine, wearing her signature tux. I think she’s hot. They think she’s hot. So she’s winning at the end of the day.

26. Miyako says:

I have been hooked on Janelle Monae since PhatomFox inteoducrd her to me a few weeks ago. She has an amazing sound and her videos take it to the next level. I was thrilled when Tightrope was used on So You Think You Can Dance last week especially with Sonya’s amazing choreography.