December 29th, 2012
Accessories, Beyonce, Celebrity Style, Fashion Discussion
Would You Wear Beyoncé’s ‘Ratchet’ Earrings?

Beyoncé took to Instagram earlier today to show off a few of her latest accessories: $150
Matt Bernson Gitanes flats, $425 Maison Martin Margiela knuckle duster rings, and nameplate earrings etched with the word ‘Ratchet’:

20121229-163734.jpg
One of ratchet’s many definitions in the urban dictionary is, “adj. A term for someone who is 1. A whore 2. dirty/nasty 3. ghetto as hell 4. being annoying 5. busted.”

20121229-170524.jpg
Beyonce is anything but ratchet, so her sporting them is more facetious than anything else. Bey can rock them to get a few ironic laughs, but does everyone else have that luxury?

20121229-171929.jpg
Would you wear ratchet earrings?

20121229-163734.jpg
*If you’re digging her other accessories, get her flats at Piperlime

20121230-075855.jpg
… and her rings at Saks.

20121230-075932.jpg

Posted In
79 comments

79 Responses to “Would You Wear Beyoncé’s ‘Ratchet’ Earrings?”

1. Stats says:

The earrings are just eh!
    The shoe is the ish.
    and the acting hood thing well I could say it’s because she’s with Shawn Carter but I think he’s far from hood now too…

I think she’s trying to hard to please people, trying to hard to get everyone to like her. Not everyone will like or love you so be happy with the stans you have and keep it moving.

“Hood” is also a state of mind because some people that grew up with a silver spoon in their mouth act just as ratchet as the one’s who didn’t, if not worse.

2. Ktalent says:

@Stats… you think this you think that. How about you stop forming judgments about people you don’t know and mind your own?? And that’s to you and everyone else singing your tune on this forum.

3. butter says:

lol they ARE just earrings. to say beyonce is obsess with the street life is bogus clearly she is just having fun from what looks like a photo shoot or video. everybody has a ratchet moment and i would definitely wear this cute lil bamboo earrings while doing my laundry with my hair tied up because i definietly will be looking ratchet on laundry day

4. Tessa B says:

These comments are HILARIOUS! Whether Bey is about that life or not..mission accomplished–us debating back and forth is keeping her relevant. She has an album coming soon, all artists show out when their album is in the works. ijs. HAPPY NEW YEARS!

5. MCBW says:

I’m really glad Beyoncé is finally showing her true colors people need to stop acting like she isn’t just a manufactured diva. If left to her own devices I’m sure she would run around looking ratchet.

6. Crystal says:

A long drawn out discussion about if this woman is ratchet or not. I believe this is alluding to a song. I heard rumors that she was collaborating with Lady Gaga on the song but I could be wrong. But lady Gaga did post something about Ratchet on her twitter..instagram..something. However, in a world of BBall wives, Real Housewives, etc, when black women are being shown in such a negative light and being ratchet for real, bad move on Beyonce to associate herself with that term. I thought it was similar to being trifling? Anywho…

7. Bsrobb says:

I like the look, its fun. You really don’t need to be super serious all the time. Plus, I’m pretty sure Lil Boosie (the words creator) intended it to mean, hood/ghetto. The whore thing and that other crap on urban dictionary is probably a bunch of stuff some young white kids added.

8. Mimi says:

I swear if this word gets rolled out to the masses because of B I’m gonna die. I find the word funny when used a certain way but if the masses start using it daily it’s gonna get played out so fast. I wouldn’t wear those earrings, not with that word in them.

9. binks says:

I guess Beyonce is passing out checks the way some people are going harder than a hand basket to defend her. If you find it funny and tongue in cheek fine just because others don’t and questions her intentions doesn’t make them haters. Some people need to realize we all aren’t monolithic so speak for yourself not others.

10. hayilabc says:

The word ratchet is really sooo played out now. Why is Beyonce so late on the wave? And agree with @Liz.. the more she reveals her “self” the cornier she seems.

11. Shan says:

I LOVE YOU BEY! You can do NO wrong to me! I understand the earrings…the look overall. I am not offended, as a designer I’m inspired!

12. jeda says:

I def smh when I saw this. I would not wear these ear-rings.

But I’m not surprised, Bey can put on the class act show, but we know who she is deep down…we know who Jay fell in love with. I’m not mad though, I think we all know how to play both sides of the fence when its necessary. Its really a survival skill.

Blesisngs

13. yusufswifee says:

I love B. She is country and from texas. Always done things big and flashy – always hood, ghetto or whatever ya’ll call it. But these pix on instagram – this post motherhood cry for attention, I completely understand and can not get with…sorry.

14. According to other blogs this is a promo pic for her new single called “Ratchet” idk

15. Empress says:

No to the earrings. Love the flats. Bey has always had a playful side. Stop taking everything she does seriously.

16. NicoleS says:

Was this post meant to talk about the earrings/shoes or Beyonces life??? O Okay…. A shame.

17. Mic says:

Beyonce a positive image???? Are you serious?

18. Amber says:

I love me some gold name earrings oohhwee! I wouldn’t rock a pair that says ‘ratchet’ but I don’t see anything wrong with them.
    I think folks should get off their high horses…..hood style whether you are from the ‘ghetto’ or not has influenced High Fashion in many many ways. Don’t wait til it is on a couture runway in France to co-sign!

xo

19. KBS says:

I don’t care

20. Choco aka Hipppie says:

She’s very ignorant! My goodness talk about regression… she’s a mother and now its okay to promote ignorant azz behavior – whew chile she hasn’t ever impressed me nor have I ever been a fan – I had no dislike for her but she is getting a side-eye from me

21. Tifani says:

Heck to the no!!!!

22. Theantifash says:

PREACH LOLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many of you are too young to remember her few bars in “Kitty Kat” (which makes me feel old as hell), but I KNOW you haven’t forgotten about DIVA. WTF did you think that was, a cute ballad for the children?? I mean… It was pretty ratchet if you ask me. Think about it.

Also I’m not sure if it’s a TX thing or what but I sincerely feel that the women in my home state are somehow able to strike a good balance of “street” and effortless class.

23. ashleyv says:

No one should want to be ratchet. Also, this is not irony; it’s too intentional. She actually thought about this foolishness beforehand.

24. Loni says:

Comme des Fuckdown everyone! Bee’s first single to be released in 2013 is titled “ratchet”. Just a promo shot lawd have mercy

25. She is doing too much.

26. moyo says:

Actually guys Beyonce grew up in the 3rd ward of Houston, Tx (where i’m also from) and though she was raised by both parents and lived in what was then considered a suburb she was still around a lot of hood people. She grew up in the 80s when crack hit Houston and i’m sure she’s seen a lot. So though her neighbor may not have been a hot ghetto mess i’m positive her neighbor’s neighbor was. Either way I still hate the earrings but I guess I understand why she feels she’s entitled to portray herself as a hood chick.

27. Janene says:

Bey is going to take ratchetness to a whole new level once the song comes out. I would be lying if I didnt say that I had a pair of gold hoops with my name from my teenage years in my jewelry box :)

28. Browness says:

As soon as the song comes out it will be both cool and uncool to be “Ratchet”

29. Alyssa says:

y’all b*tches really sound dumb, why are y’all so serious about some earrings that say “Ratchet”.. i happen to think they are really cute and fun, just because she wears them does not make her ratchet.. i mean y’all are acting like the earrings say “Nigger”.. damn. And Beyonce has more money than any of y’all will see in a lifetime, so do you really think she cares what y’all say? NOPE.