December 29th, 2012
Celebrity Style, Hot or Hmm, Kanye West
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

We know Kanye West is no stranger to pushing boundaries when it comes to men’s fashion. After all, the guy’s worn a Givenchy skirt and a women’s blouse from Céline onstage. But it seems our favorite fashionsto has taken things to another level, treating audiences to a Lady Gaga-style masked performance at his Revel show last night.

The rapper finished an all-white look with a crystal face mask from the Maison Martin Margiela Fall 2012 couture collection. Check it on the runway:

He also hit the stage in this feathered number, which reminds me a lot of the feathered masks Giles Deacon showed for Spring 2012:

Okay, okay, so the look is strange. But I applaud Yeezy for his fearlessness in experimenting with fashion, and challenging the notion of what sort of attire is “acceptable” for a straight, male person of color. If anything, his ‘fits provide a good launching point of discussion on what we perceive as masculine, as “normal” or “strange,” in our community.

What do you think?

~ Jihan

41 Responses to “Hot! or Hmm…: Kanye West’s Atlantic City Concert Maison Martin Margiela Crystal Mask”

1. Jei says:

Yes for the Margiela mask. I love it. Now the feather mask, I get where he was going but that one, not so much.

2. Natasha says:

Masks messing up lace fronts in ’13, huh?

3. Elle says:

Those look hideous!

4. Islandista says:

Sigh… he looks like the kind of attention-seeking fool who deliberately wears something outlandishly ridiculous just so he can tell the rest of us that we’re not fashionable enough to ‘get it’.

5. mirage says:

He is a twit. And let’s call a spade a spade this is pure buffoonery, true f–ckery. I’m over him. His antics are beginning to outshine his music.

6. Jess says:

I think it’s FIRE!! I love art and respect a person’s ingenuity to blaze new trails.

7. AD says:

I respect one’s right to freedom of expression. Kanye’s a fantastic artist, and very creative. But if I paid my money to see this show (which I’m sure cost a pretty penny), I’d be pissed if this is how ‘Ye decided to express his artistic expression. Imagine spending a lot of money to see him and he showed up in this getup? I mean, you can’t even see his face! I dunno about you, but I’d be pissed.

8. DomDom says:

I can’t deal with kanye sometimes

9. Omgeezy!! says:

He looks a fool!

10. baby-b says:

i like the game’s version way better.
    Kanye innovative my ass…The Game came out with this first!

11. T1K says:

Not feeling it… It’s as if he doesn’t know what else to do.

12. SAW says:

@AD I thought the same thing. I paid to SEE Kanye not a rabbit. Imagine if that wasnt him lol

13. Ummmm, no! Yeezy, who taught you this? You bringing some of you and Kim’s S&M on stage with you now?

14. Feather says:

If I would have know Yeezy was in AC I would have went home for the holidays.. -___-

15. Feather says:

Oh and by the way, Kanye is an “ART”ist…. A lot of you all wouldn’t understand. Enough said…….

16. Lovie says:

GAY lol he DID that

17. COCO says:

I appreciate his willingness to be daring and incentive with fashion…but THAT SHIT CRAY…. AIN’T IT JAY?! *womp womp womp* apologies for that lame swipe, couldn’t help it X-D

18. binks says:

……..

19. Melissa says:

People pay hundreds of dollars to see him in concert and this fool comes out with a bedazzled sock on. sigh.

20. AH says:

I can’t.

21. Yea I was wondering if he wore that for the entire show. I saw pics (of the feathered one) and assumed that it was only for one song. I’m with AD, I had planned on going to the show and would’ve been pissed had he wore a mask the entire time! I’m not even sure why because the music would’ve been the same…there’s just something extra impersonal about wearing a mask

With that said I like both of them

22. Mo_Sheri10 says:

I actually like the crystal mask. He looks like a fool in the feather mask. I’m also I’ve Kanye and his antics. He lost allot of his appeal when he got with that Kim chick.

23. natasha says:

I love that kanye experiments with fashion and doesn’t care what people say but I’m not feeling any of these looks.

24. Meshia says:

This seems like a bit of a reach to me, but I would STILL pay my money to go see him look a damn fool. LOL!

25. Rebecca says:

Lets just keep these looks on stage and on the runway…

26. Marthe says:

Everytime I come across a picture of this mask i’m drooling over the beauty of it. It’s a great on stage look, and I think Jihan is right, Kanye can open closed minds!

27. mamareese says:

Lets face it Ye wants to be a woman so bad he’s just bursting at the seams. Let it out honey child…..Kim is not that good of a beard to hide all that suga….lol

I went to the show on 12.29. Ye killed it! Havta to be there to experience the masks. So impactful! He killed it! I was a generic fan b4. Now I’m an official fan! He is an artistic genius! The show was amazing! Had to be there!

29. Crystal says:

LOL at the people that claim they get Kanye’s artistic side. He’s the type of person that would throw a can of paint on a blank canvas and y’all would pay $10,000 for it and call it art, trying to be deep. Kanye is not deep or artistic, he’s a clown! I honestly think he’s crying out for help.

30. Maison Martin Margiela crystal mask = HOT!! Fashion art!!

31. Cookie says:

Yes @Crystal. Yes! This man is no artist! Please do not insult real artists and designers. This man is an AS, attention seeker! I hope people don’t believe he is really designing or making those ugly ass shoes. I want to see the sketches, swatches, and mock ups. Christian actually knows how to make shoes! Oscar has work under many greats and have you seen his sketches. Makes my heart stop. The man can actually sketch, drape, and sew. This guy might make decent to great (not everything is hot) music but he can’t dress a woman to save his life (Kim’s clothes hardly ever work for her body type) and there is something missing in his work also know as that lack luster collection. Music artist yes. Artist in general he is not.

32. Talecia says:

LOL omgosh you took the word right out my mouth girl ! @ Crystal! Kanye does things like this like what @Islandista said to say “we “don’t get it”

33. LaTasha says:

I love Kanye, Lawrd knows I do….but he is wearing mask seen on women. Not sure how I feel about that.

34. Deb says:

ROTFL!! @ Coco..Hilarious but so fitting.
    Lady Gaga…Look what you started..LOL
    Er, Ye..I’m also a huge fan of Games of Thrones but since it’s based on fiction..fiction. There’s no Undead..hence they didn’t really dress like that with feather mask and all white…LOL

35. BrooklynHippie says:

This is too much now.

36. CaribbeanQueen says:

I’m all for calling people out, but I also was there on 12.29 and was also just the average fan but now I LOVE him.. The crystal mask was beautiful and mesmerizing in person.. the feather mask was questionable but definitely didnt take away from the performances. He puts so much emotion into his shows you don’t even really care about his face you just soak in the music and the experience! And Btw, he did not wear the masks for the whole show.

37. DIVA says:

I kinda feel sorry for him —- he’s looks silly.

38. Indigo says:

This ninja looks like a snow creature/leatherface;an extra from Return from Oz. He trys so hard and people just eat it up,just to say they are a part of something.. PU!

SN: When Michael Jackson did it, he was called all kinds of crazy… Now this??