December 20th, 2012
Beauty, Best of 2012, Beyonce, Celebrity Style, Kelly Rowland, Kim Kardashian, Rihanna
Best of 2012: Beauty Diva of the Year
By Faith

Today, we’re taking a look back at the woman who shined the most this year in the beauty department.

From flawless makeup and hair coiffed to perfection, here are your nominees:

1. Kerry Washington

This has been a life-changing year for Kerry Washington. The actress has literally become a household name thanks to her hit show Scandal, giving her effortless beauty a chance to reach new parts of the globe.

From sultry red lips to shiny and voluminous hair, she has tried a few different things in the beauty department this year, providing the perfect complements to ultra-feminine looks.

You all loved Kerry’s choices this year, lauding her with responses like “Smoking hot!” and “Kerry has a swagger about her, I like her.”

I like her too! She is an effortless beauty and rarely disappoints. Her skin is almost as perfect as it comes and there’s never a hair out of place on her head. What’s not to love?

Check out everything she has done this year here.

2. Rihanna

Where to start with Rihanna? The Bajan songstress has had so many hairstyles this year, we could have a Beauty Diva of the Year poll just on her looks of 2012!

She started out the year with blonde, and many other celebrities and girls around the way followed suit. She opted for natural makeup with nude lips to complement the hair change.

Then halfway through her Battleship promotion, she went dark and long, with one side of her head shaved. Red lipstick became her best friend.

Though it was short-lived, she went bold and tried out dreadlocks while onstage!

She had a long and wavy moment, but then emerged with a short pixie, giving ethereal realness wherever she went! You all loved the change, responding, “RiRi is absolutely stunning” and “RiRi looks amazing, in my opinion the best she has ever looked. Her hair is everything.”

The pixie was also my favorite hair choice of Rih’s this year: it totally suits her face and really lets her beauty shine. With 2013 just around the corner, who knows what hairstyle she’ll try next! She always keeps us guessing.

Get all the 2012 news on Rihanna here.

3. Kelly Rowland

Kelly Rowland has had flawless hair and skin since her days in Destiny’s Child, so it really isn’t ever a surprise to me when she is featured in the “Best of Beauty” any year.

The raven-haired beauty has had a bevy of performances this year and she stuck to a voluminous curly ‘do for most of 2012.

Kelly let her out of this world mane play centerstage and kept her beauty choices immaculate, but toned down. She did try out a red lip at the David Jones Spring/Summer 2012/2013 show in Sydney which was one of my favorite looks of the year from her.

It wasn’t all about the coils, as she did opt for straight hair on a handful of occasions.

Kelly definitely kept her hair and makeup on point this year and I only see bigger and better things for her in 2013.

Want more Kelly? See everything she’s been up to here.

4. Beyoncé

This was a big year for Beyoncé! She officially became a mommy to Blue Ivy and didn’t miss one step even through the last moments of her pregnancy.

B shed her baby weight in what seemed like a blink of an eye and was back on the scene with her curves on full display. Blonde shiny hair and glowing skin: clearly motherhood has been kind! I mean, the songstress was named The World’s Most Beautiful Woman of 2012 by People Magazine after all!

We saw the re-launch of House of Dereon this year with Beyoncé as the official face of the brand in its ad campaigns, as well as the release of her newest fragrance Midnight Heat.

It wasn’t all about glamour this year though: B had a slew of casual looks with barely-there makeup that made us all take notice of her effortless beauty. Her makeup artist dished that she has flawless skin; after this year, there’s pretty much no way you can deny that!

One style that has lasted with Beyoncé through the year has been her topknot. Whether with bangs or without, she has embraced the hairstyle and isn’t showing any signs of letting it go.

2012 was momentous for King B and she already has 2013 on lock with the Superbowl, her new Pepsi deal, and new music. I’m ready! Are you?

Get all your Beyoncé-related life here.

5. Kim Kardashian

Kim Kardashian was everywhere this year and contributed to more headlines than some celebrities have in their entire careers!

We asked you all if you were over Kim– there were mixed reviews and will continue to be. Regardless, the woman continued to dominate and became the second half of KimYe. With her new union, she took on a new beauty look: no extensions, less makeup, and a visibly curvier body.

She still had some pretty fabulous moments this year when everything came together ever-so-perfectly. Kim is known for serving fierce and she obliged on more than a few occasions.

We also saw the brunette beauty grace more than a few pages and covers of magazines.

Kim’s latest endeavor? Her Khroma beauty line with her sisters. I think film is the only industry she hasn’t touched!

What will 2013 hold for Ms. Kardashian? Marriage? A KimYe clothing line? No one can tell, but we’ll certainly keep you in the know!

Indulge in all the tea on Kim this year here.

That’s all folks! Who was your Beauty Diva of 2012?

83 Responses to “Best of 2012: Beauty Diva of the Year”

1. CrazyM says:

Why are there ONLY 5 pics of Kerry, but 2.4 million pics of the other ladies?!

2. kay says:

I think it should go to Kelly Rowland she really step her game up. Kim should not be in this category being that shes probably the only whos done something to her face…like we didnt notice. Plus she changes her look for every boyfriend she has. j ust sayin

3. Choco aka Hipppie says:

I vote for ME : )

4. SAW says:

For me it either Kerry Washington or Kelly Rowland. I love high cheekbones (wish I had them) and im a sucker for Kelly’s beautiful skin.

5. Kitty B. says:

@Kay…no She is not! BeYAWNce has had her nose done and lips slimmed. Kelly Rowland as well had a nose job,

Now to answer the post. I’m going with my Fellow Jamaican Kerry Washington, she’s never overdone, LOVE HER.

Rihanna is in second place for me, shes a Chameleon and can make anything look good!

6. Tallulah says:

Beyoncé is the most beautiful one out of the bunch. Followed by Kerry.

7. Beyonce her face is beautiful even without make up…yes sometimes she is shoved down our throats but you cant deny her natural beauty

8. ashleigh says:

Kerry <3

9. jeda says:

i gotta give it to my girl Rih. I loooved the blonde on her and I loved the pixie, I could do without the long dark.

10. loverly says:

Kerry Washington is gorgeous but she has really, really bad hyperpigmentation. A friend who works for a tabloid told me once, years ago. Then I saw a pic of her without makeup. I feel bad for her…but she’s rich. Some peels, some microdermabrasion should fix that right up. I feel like she should win this category just because her MUA works magic.

11. Estania says:

I’m going with fellow Jamaican as well Kerry Washington ,quite gorgeous

12. Keesh says:

Kerry! Hands down! I love her!

13. Melissa says:

sigh, Kim is supposed to be in Tyler Perry’s new movie. She has officially dabbled in everything.

14. Estania says:

I’m going with fellow Jamaican as well Kerry Washington ,quite gorgeous and she’s so classic with her style absolute timeless beauty

15. Empress says:

OMG! This is too hard to choose! I LOVE all these women, but I’m gonna go with :

Kerry Washington

16. Empress says:

Technically only Kerry’s mother is Jamaican, and she was born here, so she is American. Lol

17. Cindy says:

All the ladies are beautiful. I felt Rihanna brought it this year, she was on fire. Sadly, Kim who ususally can dress her A@@ off, failed majorily with her fashion choices. I don’t know if she hired a new stylist or what but she needs to go back to what she was doing before Kanye- stat!!!!! Hopefully 2013 will be better for her.

18. ladyluo says:

I had a hard time choosing between Kerry and Rihanna but went with Kerry

19. DannielleS says:

Rihanna. She always changes her look and manages to pull them off. Kelly is just gorgeous, I would love to see her doing more

20. Sade says:

It’s between Kelly and Kerry for me. Kim has had way too much plastic surgery on her face to even be considered.

21. Bribri says:

i’m going with kelly, she always looks gorgeous to me.

22. hah back in 2007 or so, I went to a screening of a movie (the kind where you have to stay till the end and give your opinion) at Sony studios, with Kim K. It was the weirdest movie about a bunch of dudes in a sorority house, and Playboy bunnies..and tons of nudity. It was sooo bad I had to pretend to use the bathroom and run back to my car. So yes, Kim has attempted films. FAILURE.

23. Empress says:

I know I voted already, but I’m voting again. Kerry W and Kelly with a close 2nd! :-)

24. cheriemacherie says:

rihanna in the pixie cut-perfect

25. Destination Everywhere says:

I have to go with Kerry. She is so stunning and her intelligence just magnifies her beauty.

26. SLIMB says:

Kerry washington or kelly rowland or both lol

27. asia says:

So I guess I’m the only 1 on here who isn’t a fan of Kerry Washington.IMO she’s not pretty and her style is boring. I probably have to give it 2 Rihanna b-cuz she’s a true beauty chameleon with Beyonce a close second b-cuz her skin is like silk.

28. Brandon says:

Rihanna for the win, she can rock every look, although the spiked pixie is my favorite on her.

29. cecil says:

Okay I would say Beyonce gets first because she has such beautiful skin. Kim K has to be second because her face is beautiful and she always has the perfect makeup applications!

30. tt says:

love all the ladies except kim k. my vote goes to kerry washington w/kelly rowland & rihanna tied for a close second, & bey at #3. i wish kim would disappear from this site all together. she’s given way too much shine on the urban sites.

31. andrea says:

@Loverly not too fond of your comment about Kerry how can you say she is beautiful then say you feel sorry for her. anywho my vote went to Kerry. She is gorg…and have this hidden sex appeal about her

32. BougieHippie says:

Kerry Washington should win if she would ever find some clothes that fit!

33. binks says:

Between Kerry Washington or Kelly Rowland for me, as for the others mostly they looked the same as last year.

34. NotHereForThat says:

These choices are …..bossip-ish. Maybe the low votes on kim will keep you guys from posting her every five seconds and get back to showcased actual black models in the industry.

35. Kim says:

I have to say I love love Kerry, this is definitely her year and beyond!! Bey is a close second, say what you want about her but her skin is flawless! Kelly and Rhi are gorgeous as well!

36. Miss j says:

Beyonce all day

37. Miss j says:

Beyonce

38. Tisha says:

KERRY!!

39. dee says:

Out of all of the women, the only one I believe who is a natural beauty if Beyonce. Maybe it’s because she’s the only one with minimal make-up. Kelly is gorgeous! She has great skin…Rihanna, without make up is not my cup of tea. Kim Kardashian, though I believe she is gorgeous is overrated beauty wise. Kerry Washington….I don’t know.
    Giving this one to Beyonce. But, where is Joan Smalls? She’s by far the most beautiful woman; she and seslie Lopez( I know they’re models but their looks are beautiful!)

40. stats says:

RIRI
    Kerry
    Kelly
    B
    K

41. Nikkibellaray says:

Kerry really did it this year, she was getting it!

42. Crystal says:

Rihanna owned 2012. #1 album, tour, Vogue Cover, X factor and she ended it with that bangin’ pixie cut. Kerry comes in a close second. I wish I could vote for both. Beyonce didn’t do anything but let the world know she signed some contracts and made an attempt at social media. That’s not diva.

43. Kia says:

I hated that blonde on Rihanna’s head. Beyonce yawn, Kelly yawn, Kim’s cute, but it’s Kerry’s time!

44. Kim says:

Rihanna, Beyonce, Kerry, Kim & Kelly !!! (in that order)

45. mikey kun says:

These are all great choices every one of these ladies brought their A game in the Beauty department this year. I’m going to give it to Kerry washington because her makeup and hair choices for me this year were great week after week.

46. ….I wouldn’t call her a ‘beauty.’
    Kelly looks nice but that’s it.
    I voted for Bey, as she has the most natural beauty.
    Love Kerry, but maybe next year.
    Kim K’s makeup is always perfect so she’s a close 2nd for me! x