December 17th, 2012
Best of 2012, Celebrity Style
Best of 2012: Most Improved Fashionista

We’re kicking off our Best of 2012 superlatives with our Most Improved Fashionista, taking a look at the lady whose style has evolved the most over the year:

Check out who received the most nominations.

1. Khloe Kardashian

This year saw Khloe Kardashian with a new X Factor gig, and a renewed svelte look to boot.

Aided by superstar stylist Monica Rose, Khloe captured our attention in Dolce & Gabbana lace, staight-off-the-runway David Koma frocks, and, of course, spiked Christian Louboutin pumps.

You ladies have responded in kind, with Bella B effusing, “Gorgeous!!! Khloe’s style has been out of the park during this whole taping” and Style is My Obsession adding, “Khloe is looking so chic and fit these days. Loving her new confidence and style.”

True. But Khloe has always been kinda fly…!

Khloe Kardashian at the 2011 Teen Choice Awards

At any rate, review her best looks of the year here.

2. Brandy

As soon as Brandy released her new album, Two Eleven, the songstress stormed the scene, working music videos and performances in a potpourri of nuanced ensembles sprinkled with lots of labels.

Her Put it Down video was styled in Balenciaga, Giuseppe Zanotti, and Roberto Cavalli.

She took her look to real life in a mix of Kenzo separates, Proenza Schouler pieces, Mary Katrantzou knits, and Stella McCartney must haves.

We’ve been totally on board with Brandy’s chic evolution.

She’s definitely improved since 2011…

Brandy at the 2011 Pre Grammy Gala

Can’t wait to see what she does next. See more of Brandy here.
3. Beyonce

Once Beyonce aka BaddieBey joined Instagram, her fans were able to see a more fashionable side of the already accomplished songstress.

She titillated fans with her impromptu poses, and her quirky/cool mix of J.Crew paisley, brocade Marni, Mary Katrantzou dresses, and comic printed 3.1 Phillip Lim.

Sure, she works it in her own way when out and about, but the true budding BaddieBey fashionista has found a home on Instagram.

See Beyonce in 2011:

Beyonce at Fashion Week in 2011

And get a full view of Beyonce’s style this year and more here.

4. Teyana Taylor

Teyana Taylor has also garnered a following on Instagram, flaunting her enviable frame in high slit dresses and crop tops.

The once confirmed Tomboy is now letting her inner feline out, to the delight of her 565,000 followers.

On any given day, you’ll find her in a low cut, body hugging dress, a snapback and close fit pants, or baggy trousers and an abbreviated top.

She’s blossomed beautifully, and is leaving her mark in her own way.
Take a look at how she used to rock:

Teyana Taylor in November 2011

See a few of her more recent ensembles here.

5. Keyshia Cole

Working with Former Bombshell of the Year and stylist Olori Swank, Keyshia Cole has certainly stepped it up, working both edgy and tailored ensembles.

From Jimmy Choo Teazer sandals to Mary Katrantzou jackets, Keyshia kept it interesting in 2012 with a host of statement pieces.

This year also saw Keyshia designing a bit on her own, collaborating on a line of heels with Steve Madden.

It’s a far cry from her older looks:

Keyshia Cole at the 2011 BET Honors

She’s certainly gone glam–but is she the most improved fashionista?

Tell us who you think evolved the most this year.

There’s still time to submit your nominations for other categories!
Click here to leave your thoughts.
Stay tuned for the rest of the best of 2012!

61 Responses to “Best of 2012: Most Improved Fashionista”

1. Gambian Queen says:

Brandy

2. LawyerLady says:

Clearly Khloe as the other ladies are still … ahem … a work in progress.

3. for real tho says:

LOVING THAT MAXI ON T.T.

4. How funny that Khloe is in the lead, uh she never had any fashion issues. I think it is a toss up between Brandy and Teyanna. Brandy has an amazing stylist. Teyanna is simply beautiful. It is nice to see her evolve. What a wonderful post.

5. dolostar says:

Khloe has always been pretty fly, so idk why she’s in the running. Brandy and Teyana are neck and neck for me. They have been killing it this year. Why is Keyshia on this list, clearly she needs a new stylist. Beyonce has been cute this year.

6. MISSKHADIVA says:

Brandy.

7. Hehe says:

Brandy. I’ve been loving her style lately.

8. bria says:

Definitely Brandy. She brought it this year.

I agree with the others that Khloe was always kinda fly. Now, BRANDY has DEFINITELY improved – her style choices in years past were a Hmmm. I feel like now, she’s finally found her niche in style (and hair) and looks AMAZING. So, my vote’s for Brandy. Definitely excited to see how she continues… : )

10. Faith says:

I have to give it to Brandy! She’s been serving lately and I’ve been so impressed!

11. Neesiepoo says:

I’m with Teyana Taylor and Khloe on this one.. I’m not really feeling Brandy too much. I feel like her style is still all over the place. Keyshia?! heavens, no.. lol

12. kay says:

who the hell put Beyonce on the list? thats no right, beyonce allways had a sense of fashion. yall play to much. i cant believe yall put Byeonce on the list i dont understand

13. Claire says:

@kay we put together this list based off of comments on this post:

14. Crystal says:

Brandy! Khloe hasn’t improved much because her style was never bad, she’s just in the spot light more.

15. I originally voted Brandy, but after looking at this post I’m gonna say Khloe. Though she had great style to begin with, she has definitely improved and is looking better than ever.

16. lisha says:

Brandy

17. browngirl says:

Ughhh, I’m so torn I want to say Koko but she never really have a fashion problem I just think she has finally become her own, but Brandy did really do it up for 2012 ….

Keyshia…oh Keyshia….

18. V says:

I love these kind of posts. Great job! keep posting more of these

19. Brandy Brandy Brandy all the way.

20. skeys says:

I originally said Khloe, but now I am leaning toward Brandy. Both ladies have definitely improved upon what works for their body types.

21. cheriemacherie says:

yes. i nominated brandy:)

22. Empress says:

Brandy

23. Chelsey says:

Brandy. Khloe needs to chill on the spray tanning.

24. Nakia P says:

I chose Brandy I agree with everyone else that Khloe really didn’t have issues. But lets please nominate Khloe’s sister as the fashionista that fell of in 2012.

brandy definately luv her style…

26. Soul Touch says:

Brandy and Khloe

Beyonce looks great too, honorable mention.

But Keyshia …no

27. Dobe says:

Definitely Brandy! Loved the looks she displayed during the release of her album, there was even a vast improvement in her hair!

28. Taj says:

I vote for Brandy

29. My girl Brandy all day she really stepped it up this year

30. Jhess says:

Brandy! Khloe and Bey always did therr thing. Teyana and Keyshia still hasn’t improved IMO.

31. FashionOne says:

Brandy stepped her fashion game…she gets my vote!

32. HarlemVanity says:

Brandy

33. Hmmmm, so so hard to choose. I agree with most of the commenters that Khloe has never really had a fashion issue. I think she is doing more than just Blazers, Skinny Jeans and Dresses this year and she’s wearing more color!!! I think Teyana has grown in her looks, still staying true to her Tomboy Swagg. I really LOVE what Olori is doing with Keyshia. I just think that sometimes Keyshia sets the wrong limits on herself, she is a bit closed on certain issues. But keep up the fabulous work Olori, you have improved her style so much. I don’t think Beyonce has improved enough, but I like all the choices of hers you included here. Now on to Brandy, I think she has to get my vote! She has done a 360 style wise I can only think of one look of hers that I absolutely did NOT like and that was the look at the AMA’s. Other than that backslide, she won!!! **Just my thoughts**

7eventh Letter

34. Robin says:

not a fan of Keyshia Coles style but love the rest!

35. Steph says:

keyshia cole’s style has changed but i don’t think it was for the better.
    my vote was for khloe because her change was for the better, she is so much more polished now.
    brandy is a close 2nd.

36. SHAQ NICHOLE says:

Like I said in my list…Khloe takes this section! Just look at her from how what she’s worn in the past! Beyonce’, those images are recent..she just started dressing like that…and Brandy and Teyana…yes their styles both evovled but not to the degree of Khloe K.

37. binks says:

Brandy! She did a 180 when you think of Brandy fashion wasn’t the first things you thought of…lol so an improvement. Khole usually looked great even before the X factor gig, Beyonce step up but a little to late for this season, Teyana looks like Teyana..shrugs and Keyshia o_O

38. T says:

I must’ve missed the nominations so I voted for Brandy but if we could write in a candidate, I’d say Miley Cyrus. She has transformed herself and looks edgy and cute this year.

39. Bianca says:

For me it is between Khloe and Brandy… Both look much better this year.

40. LadyC says:

Keyshia.. -__- her style has always been tacky to me.

41. Minnesota says:

Brandy and Khloe definitely. EVERYONE else a work in progress.

42. kory conover says:

Why is Beyonce on this list? Her style was always on point.

Teyana Taylor still look like a pitbull.

43. Olwethu says:

Brandy- most improved student and runners up are khloe and beyonce.keyshia cole and teyana Taylor can try again next year. keyshia’s choices are all over the place, I can’t even tell which look she is going for.

44. Whit says:

Brandy for sure!

45. Tifani says:

I say Brandy. Her style has been so on point lately!!!!!!!

46. Samantha says:

Brandy, Khloe, Beyonce, Teyanna Taylor, Keyshia Cole. In that order.

47. Chris styles says:

Brandy’s style has always been on point. People are probably just noticing but she’s been fashionable since her Moesha days to Present. I would have to say Khloe. Teyanna and Keyshia still have a ways to go but they’re getting there. Beyonce’s style on Instagram has improved but those were too simple … Need to see more.

48. Liz says:

I chuckled at Bey on this list.

49. hayilabc says:

it’s NOT Keyshia Cole. I know that!!!
    i would say if we’re going off most IMPROVED, as in it was BAD before and got BETTER, would have to be Brandy.

Khloe never really was too bad. Bey’s style doesn’t really match her perceived personality. Teyana still has the same overall style IMO she just grew up I guess.