December 5th, 2012
Style Inspiration, What to Wear
Fall 2012 Style Inspiration: What to Wear to the Opera
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

Ashley writes, “I would like your help in figuring out what to wear to the opera. I have been to the opera many times and seen just about every last one at MET and the world. Figuring out what to wear is always a headache. Not too minimal, not too over the top. Thank you for all of your help!”

As you very know the opera calls for dressy attire, so it is best to always come correct. Channel old Hollywood glamour with this ensemble.

A gold and black dress is given added flair with a very on trend peplum detail. Go for drop earrings and a black fur stole to aid in elevating the look. Finish up with a subtle mani and a simple pair of pumps.

Go traditional in a long gown with look number 2.

A black gown is always classic, regal, and is zero fuss. Add a bit of pizzazz with a fur coat and embellished heels. Complete the look with a deep red lip, and you’re set!

If you’d like to skew less over the top, you might want to consider option 3.

A red bell-sleeve dress with a flirty hem is simple, but effectively glamourous. Slip on a pair of cap toe pumps to complement the black clutch and earrings.

In need of more inspiration? Take a look at these opera ready celebs.

~Cliché

12 Responses to “Fall 2012 Style Inspiration: What to Wear to the Opera”

1. TM says:

Love it!

2. yusufswifee says:

YAAAAAAAAAAS! Headed to the Nutcracker and could definitely use an inspiration. And the pix of Ye and Amber is a refreshing treat!

3. Destination Everywhere says:

Nice!

What saddens me is that the last couple of times I went to the opera I saw very many people wearing jeans and runners. I understand that there has been a move to make operas more inclusive and they are trying to remove the upper-crustiness of the opera but I think half the fun is getting dressed up as best you can :)

4. Faith says:

Amazing looks! I definitely wore a dress and fringe booties to the Opera…but I won’t feel bad after reading this post lol

5. Claire says:

Cute!

6. tica-pica says:

@Destination Everywhere – it’s not just the opera, most classic performing arts have become more contemporary. Even in conservative countries like Austria, people attend shows at the Staatsoper in jeans (simple jeans mind you, nothing hip); same with the performers – long gone are the days of operatic divas draped fur and diamonds!

guess you guys wouldn’t have any outfit suggestions for a nice X-Mas Punch & Judy or Pantomime show? haha

7. Jada king says:

Are there similar dresses like the McQueen one for less? I’ve been trying to find one for awhile, most of my dresses are fitted and I want a different silhouette. Preferably color

8. binks says:

Love all 3!

9. JParris says:

I would wear the 3rd look

10. COCO says:

I don’t see many people dressing up like that to go anywhere these days

11. Ash says:

hi Cliché(FBD team)

Thanks for responding. The Opera was actually last week. I wore something similar to the last option in Black and furrr! Love the fur. The Opera was wonderful as ususual. But as ” Destination Everywhere” and others mentioned, there were quite a few people in jeans and yes even UGGS.