November 30th, 2012
Fashion, Fashion News
Fashion News: Alexander Wang to Take Over at Balenciaga
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

It looks like one Azealia Banks will be wearing a lot of Balenciaga in the near future. WWD confirms Alexander Wang is taking the reins as creative director at Balenciaga, replacing Nicolas Ghesquière, who left the label a mere few weeks ago.

This appointment will almost certainly bring drastic changes to the Balenciaga aesthetic, but perhaps the house itself is looking to change its sartorial tune. WWD says; “The choice of Wang suggests Balenciaga might wish to dial down the elitist, couture-like approach of Ghesquière, and open up to a broader audience with a designer prized for his sportswear approach and youthful energy.”

Joan Smalls in Alexander Wang Spring 2013 sandals

It will be interesting to see what Wang brings to the label. Fashion nerd Bombers– what do you think of this appointment?
Read more at WWD.

Posted In
19 comments

19 Responses to “Fashion News: Alexander Wang to Take Over at Balenciaga”

1. JK says:

A. Wang will do for Balenciaga what Tisci’s done for Givenchy. I’m for it.

2. JK says:

AND what Rousteing’s done for Balmain: breathing some youthful energy into these established labels.

3. Lade Aiyeku says:

What JK said is exactly what’s going to happen! Wang is my favorite designer right now anyway, me being a 23 yr old black guy who’s very interested in high fashion but has to have practical clothing.

4. Loni says:

I love Mr. Wang. Like seriously I have an obsession.

5. perfect pairing…cristobal would be proud :-)

6. Jei says:

What Jk said..I can’t wait to see what he brings.

7. Suri says:

@JK: Balenciaga has been young and modern for years now. I don’t know what you are talking about at all.

8. Mikala says:

I’m not won over although I pray to the fashion gods that if Wang is the new creative director he does a great job. Balenciaga isn’t about being practical and that’s why I fell in love with it and fashion due to the designs of Ghesquière.

9. KBS says:

He’s had an awesome career. Like someone said, I love high fashion, but my lifestyle necessitates practicality, and Wang fits the bill.

10. Dee says:

Love! Can’t wait to see.

11. natuafia says:

Omg !! Thats so exciting ! He is one of my favorite designers

12. Jaslene says:

Wang looks like a woman.

13. SHAQ NICHOLE says:

Yaaaayaa!!! This is such great news! My favorite designer designer for one of my favorite designer labels! If this is true, I cannot wait to see what Mr. Wang has up his sleeve for this label!

14. JK says:

Suri, Balenciaga is edgy and modern, but sophisticated, upscale, expensive, luxurious and comes off as unattainable. When I say youthful, I mean edgy and modern BUT a little more downtown, slightly more accessible, a little less polished, etc.

15. Nikki says:

Are Alexander wang and Vera wang siblings???

16. Nikki B. says:

yaaass I am thrilled about this. What I want to see now, is a bag that will be ever more likeable that the city bag & the rocco duffle.I’m anxious to see what he does!

17. Nraw says:

No NIkki they are not..

18. Danielle says:

i like Balenciaga the way it is !

19. LookShrpLivSmrt says:

@JK & @Suri: I Love Alexander Wang’s aesthetic for his label, however Balenciaga is a Parisian LUXURY label… Wang’s athletic, downtown, & grungy aesthetic translating over to the Parisian label leaves me in a state of angst!