November 27th, 2012
Angela Simmons, Celebrity Style, Rachel Roy
Angie’s World: My Apprenticeship with Rachel Roy
By Angela Simmons

Hiii Fashion Bomb readers!!
Angela Simmons here and welcome to my world! For the next few days, you’ll get a glimpse into my fashion and beauty faves. This will be a sneak peek of what is to come on my website  AngelaIam.com,  which is COMING SOON!!

You may not know this, but I am working on a fashion line! I was ecstatic when one of my favorite fashion designers Rachel Roy agreed to have me as her  apprentice for a few days last year.

My apprenticeship was primarily focused on learning from Rachel’s experience in the fashion industry and gaining insight and tips to success. Some of these tips included surrounding myself with people smarter than me, and staying true to my vision. She warned me that I will face difficult decisions throughout my career, but that the hardest decisions to make are usually the right ones.

I tried to take advantage of the time I had with her and retained as much knowledge as possible. Rachel shared her story with me, and demonstrated the relevance of knowing all aspects of the fashion industry. She credits a great deal of her success to her climbing her way to the top, starting as an intern in retail before becoming the famed designer she is today.

I could not have asked for a better mentor than Rachel, as she is truly an inspiration to me! In just three days, Rachel motivated me to be the best I can be at my craft. My hope is that I can be the same kind of inspiration to young designers today that Rachel Roy has been to me.

Tell me about your best internship/apprenticeship experiences!

What did you learn?
And stay tuned for more from my world this week on the Fashion Bomb!

43 Responses to “Angie’s World: My Apprenticeship with Rachel Roy”

1. Danielle says:

How cool. Look forward to hearing more from you and checking out your site. Love the way fashion bomb is branching!

2. Nicole says:

Angela you and Rachel are amazing women in business and I think the fact that you teamed up with her to gain knowledge was a great move. I have not any internship experience related to this but I was always told my grandmother to surround myself with people who are smarter than me and where I intend to be, so you are on the correct path. I am excited about your journey and can’t wait to read, see and hear more.

Nikki-
    From Chicago

3. Nicole says:

* I DO NOT HAVE* POOR TYPOS…LOL

4. Neesiepoo says:

Oooh, I look forward to seeing what Ang cam come up with!!

5. Jihan says:

This is awesome.

6. Ondrea says:

I love Rachel Roy and Angela Simmons!

7. Faith says:

Love this! I adore Rachel Roy and cannot wait to see what Angela has in store

8. Jazz says:

LOVEE you Angela. Can’t wait to see your line!

9. peplum lover says:

is this really angela simmons?
    i feel really startled and speechless
    (as one would be in the presence of a celeb)
    *faints8
    well heyy – all the way from london – cant wait to hear more :)

10. soon2Bmrs says:

This is awesome! Looking forward to more Angie’s World posts & the website.

No internship experiences but I was taught as well to surround yourself w/ people who are where you want to be. And more importantly, dress for the job you want & not the one you have ;)

11. soon2Bmrs says:

Oh and FB ladies can we get the details to that orange/red blazer Ang is serving in?

12. Awe Angela! I think it is great you were able to learn from Rachel Roy. But as always, I think you need a college education. Four years will come and go. But as always I AM ROOTING FOR YOU!

13. I love to see young, successful, black women as entrepreneurs. I admire how you are expanding your brand; from Pastry, to the Bikini hair line now on to your clothing line. You my dear are an inspiration. The fact that you’re starting as an intern to learn the ins and outs of fashion, shows how serious you are.

I haven’t done any internships or apprenticeships as of yet but I plan to before I open my boutique next summer. There’s nothing like hand on experience. You can also use whoever you intern with as a reference in the future. I try to devote as much time and energy as I can investing in my craft until that time comes. In the meantime I’m a paid fashion blogger; I network as much as I can. I major in fashion merchandising at the Academy of Art University. I design accessories from time to time my jewelry was in the gift bags at the Emmy’s gifting suite. I read as much as I can. Praying everything will continue to work out in your favor. May God’s anointing and blessings continue to be on you.

14. Soul Touch says:

Wonderful! I look forward to checking out your site! I think it’s great that you’ve teamed up with Rachel Roy, afterall, her styles are classic with timeless pieces.

Good luck and be true to you!

All the way from Canada, ciao!

15. Martinique_Fr says:

Claire, this is a GOOD LOOK for FB…. BRAVO!!!
    I like this little turn. Looking forward to reading more.

16. Kitty B. says:

I thought someone was playing a trick on us or hacked the site…. HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII ANGELA, Im excited for your website and everything else in store for you!

Congrats and good luck on everything :)

17. JanaejaQuel' says:

Great Duo! I am glad that Angela can be the humbled individual that she is. She is going to do great and I know her clothing line will be Fab. Great job Angela, you and Rachel are my inspirations :)

XoXo
    Janae’

18. Angela! I am sooo happy for you, this is every designers dream. You have an AWESOME mentor in Rachel Roy, her clothes are flawless!
    I read ever bit and it hit home, I am inspired and I look forward to your post and I WILL be following your website! :D

ps. I always dig your style <3

19. Brittany says:

This.is.amazing.

20. Cool! Can’t wait to read what’s next.

21. heyyall says:

Hey Angela!!!!!!!!!!

22. nmillmich25 says:

Yayyy Angella! My best internship experience started off badly. My boss was a demon but in the end I learned alot and I came out a stronger person. She encouraged me to speak up, own my ideas/opinions and defend them to the end.

Looking forward to your line, P.S. I hope its affordable! lol

23. Mrs Windy City says:

Love me some Rachel Roy and Angela!!!! This is a cute feature!

24. Caribbelle says:

This is awesome! Hi Angela lol.
    My best apprenticeship experience started when I was in High School. I followed an amazing seamstress who could sew just about anything, and watching her work was just about the most amazing experience.

She taught me the basics and really pushed for me to see the freedom in sewing, draping and drafting on my own. The key was to be fearless: making mistakes is a part of the learning process and I’ve embraced the freedom that comes with accepting that. Everything I’ve learned from her is still significant today.

25. LaweryChic says:

Its good to see Angela is taking the time to learn her craft.

I’ve had countless internship experience. My first internship I was in undergrad and was only trusted to make coffee. My last internship as a 3L I had my own cases and represented my own clients under attorney supervision. One experience begets another. I learned to absorb everything, be humble, and maintain all the contacts I made.

26. Empress says:

Kudos to Angela! Looking forward to your new site!

27. v says:

It was an internship for a few days…not a few months or year. I am surprised by all this fawning. Even Kanye interned for a longer period than that.

Go Ang!! Now can u do plus size lol!

29. Above Par says:

I was kind of dumbfounded when I seen that you had written this post Angela, it was a pleasant surprise to know that we share some type of common ground. Definitely looking forward to the new site. And to some more posts from you on here.

But I would DIIE if I met Rachel Roy, she’s freaking amazing, her demeanor and all.

30. MiMi says:

I love you and Rachel! I actually reached out to her headquarters for an internship. Hopefully I can one day learn from her as well!

31. Taj says:

This a great opportunity and I am excited about the partnership.

32. Kisha says:

I have a lot of respect for Angela. She is a young woman who is constantly trying to get better. She is very relatable.

33. Miss White says:

My best internship is the one I’m doing now. The president is a woman and she is really teaching me to stand up for my work and what I believe in. Also to take my ideas and run with them. I appreciate her willingness to teach me some tricks of the trade and won’t let her time be wasted.

Congrats on your success and many blessings on the clothing line!

Claire my dear, love what you do and how you do it! Good luck to you on all ur future endeavors! Keep reaching! Xoxo

34. Omgeezy!! says:

3 days!! Lol

35. Nakia P says:

Wow I love Angela since Run’s House, going to enjoy these posts…
    Claire you are such a visionary!

36. Claire and Angela you have just injected me with freaking visual cocaine. This site never ceases to amaze me. I’m probably actually going to make Angelaiam.com my new home page on safari as a little reminder to stay updated! I love reading about different experiences in the fashion industry. Seriously, this is a sweet idea, I can’t wait to see more. ;)

37. lesha says:

Omg..this..is..so..cool! I heart the fashion bomb and Angie that’s my girl I’m on your tumblr page about as much as I’m on here (daily, and hourly) very dope!

38. Jonesy says:

I love me some Angela! I don’t care who don’t like her!!

I wish her much success in the industry!

39. Naija Vix. says:

HI Angela!!! :))) I wish you more blessing in the industry !!!

40. MAC says:

I love this Angela Simmons x FBD collaboration. Angela is the embodiment of what this site is about.

41. Nyasia says:

congrats , Im a high school senior At fashion industries . I know you as well went there , I was wondering if there was any internships you think i could start at . Please and thank you