November 14th, 2012
Fashion, Fashion News
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

Elder Statesman‘s Greg Chait bested Tabitha Simmons and Jennifer Meyer of Jennifer Meyer Maguire, coming out on top as this year’s CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund winner. Chait was awarded the customary $300,000 towards developing his line as well as a mentorship with a CFDA Designer. Meyer and Maguire will receive $100,000 apiece and mentorships of their own. Congratulations to this year’s winners! (WWD)

Dannijo is  doing a lot these days. Not only are they releasing a bridal jewelry line, but the label will also be opening a pop-up store in Nolita at 27 Prince Street this holiday season. The shop (opening Thursday) will sell the brand’s main jewelry line, iPhone cases, and a collection exclusive to the store until it shutters December 30th. New York readers, will you be stopping by? (ELLE, WWD)

Proenza Schouler is the latest label to bless us with a weird fashion video. ‘Desert Tide’ features 1997-style avatars clad in Proenza Schouler, dancing a bizarre fashion rain dance on a sparse terrain (with a waterfall?). Yeah, no. I got nothing. (Proenza Schouler YouTube)

• Word on the street is the folks over at Versace may be outfitting Lady Gaga for her upcoming ‘Born This Way Ball.’ The ‘Paparazzi’ singer tweeted,  “The Born This Way Ball is getting a face-lift for America. I heard rumours Versace is custom designing all the clothes and new looks.” Hmm… straight from the horse’s mouth, people! We reached out to Versace to confirm. We’ll keep you posted! (Vogue UK)

• It looks like retailers will do anything to lure us away from our families this Thanksgiving. Several stores (like WalMart, Target, Kmart and Sears,) will open their doors Thursday evening (right after dinner!) while others like Gap Inc labels (Banana Republic, Old Navy, Gap) and Lord & Taylor‘s Fifth avenue store will be open all day Thanksgiving. The extended hours will no doubt be good for profit, but critics are asking the stores to consider their workers who will have to give up family time on a national holiday. Several petitions against WalMart and Target have cropped up as of late in opposition to this decree. What do you think? Should stores stay open or should employees get the full day off? (WWD)

~Jihan

9 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: Greg Chait is This Year’s CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund Winner, Is Versace Designing Lady Gaga’s Tour Costumes?, and Retailers to Stay Open During Thanksgiving”

1. Pari says:

I think employees should be able to spend time with their families. The stuff will be there the next day for us to buy!

2. Claire says:

That Proenza Schouler video was SO WEIRD. But now I want one of their skirt. Dernit!

3. Above Par says:

The Proenza video was VERY strange and not in a good way, more so in a wtf way.
    As for the Black Friday/Thanksgiving “controversy”, I’m mixed, on one hand me and my family never celebrated Thanksgiving so working that day wouldn’t be a problem for me, but on the other hand if retailers knew people wouldn’t show up then they wouldn’t make their employees work. Last year if anything, I was more upset that I had to work and miss out on a sale than the fact that I could be at home.

4. Bhud says:

if you want to work then I say go for it. if they had proposed this while I worked retail i probably would’ve worked especially when I worked commission. aside from Walmart and target, the majority of retail employees are young people more concerned with a dollar than some turkey.

5. If I’m getting time and a half, I’m working. Times are hard.

6. Frost says:

In regards to the Black Friday issue, when retailers look for holiday help, they need to specifically let them know there is a possibility of them working on the holiday as well as when employees are first hired, they need to ask if they are willing to work on Thanksgiving.

That way, I don’t think there should be any problems.

I think stores should be shut on holidays. Let people see their families aor do some reflective thinking, but for goodness sakes close your doors.

8. andie says:

Even if people are willing to work the store should be closed. Its really sad that everything is about a dollar. Black Friday and opening at 2am is enough.

9. Jaz says:

I think stores should be closed on holidays. At my job, we are required to work at least one summer holiday and one winter holiday. I cant complain (yes, I get holiday pay) because the hours my job is open is still pretty reasonable -people who worked today for the most part were still able to spend time with their families. I think closing at 4 then opening back up at 8 is ridiculous