November 12th, 2012
Celebrity Style, Fashion Discussion, Rihanna
Fashion Discussion: Are We Over Rihanna’s Racy Shoots?
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

Another week, another half naked shoot. As I was perusing the web over the weekend, I came across this leaked sneak peek of Rihanna on the cover of GQ. At this point it’s become increasingly difficult for me to be surprised when I see the barely covered star on the cover of a magazine.

Last week we saw her set the web ablaze while engaging in suggestive dominatrix poses with the legendary model Kate Moss.

A month prior, she released the topless cover art for her latest album Unapologetic.

What I have gleaned from her bouts of nudity is that she isn’t doing it for the “shock” value as many may believe. She’s doing it simply because she can, and because she isn’t too fond of covering up. She loves her body (rightly so), and wants the world to thoroughly understand how comfortable she is in her skin.

I commend her fearlessness and ability to be bold and honest with no apologies. I don’t expect her to be a role model, as she has denounced the notion of being one at countless turns in recent years. Thus, I won’t make the argument of her setting a bad example for younger children who may look up to her.

My qualm is instead one of nostalgia. I long for the days of her slaying editorial spread after editorial spread; all with the bat of an eyelash. She recently shot a stunning cover for the November issue of Vogue, –it left me hungry for more. Each shot was captivating, and showcased a Rihanna who could effortlessly put many supermodels to shame. Can we get more of that?

I wouldn’t want her to stop living her truth by any means, I’m just asking for a little balance. It couldn’t possibly hurt to get just a few more high fashion spreads from this gorgeous gal.

What do you think? Are you over Rihanna’s racy shoots?

~Cliché

66 Responses to “Fashion Discussion: Are We Over Rihanna’s Racy Shoots?”

1. Jei says:

@StylishlyYours Cosign on that perspective && agree with @nmillmich25. She knows exactly what she’s doing.

2. SheSimplyIs says:

Let’s note the fact the her nude shoots are not for women’s fashion mags; I’m pretty sure the men reading Esquire and GQ are not interested in the latest trends she’s wearing.

Also, every recording artist has their own formula, whether it’s putting album out once every year or every 10 years. We don’t get upset at rapper who put out mixtapes every 3 months or so. At the end of the day, this has worked for her. Just look at the numbers.

Regardless, we are not with her 24/7. And I’m pretty sure she not naked for majority of that time. The girl looks fab and she definitely inspires me to get in the gym and to get on top of my thang!!!!

3. Anon2 says:

I don’t think it’s fair to say you want the high fashion back. Wasn’t she just in a high fashion Vogue shoot (with the cover I might add) 30 days ago. I actually love the fact that she’s blending the skank with the high fashion. So for those yelling for balance, she has balance. Rihanna will rock jeans and timbs on Monday, Couture on Tuesday and lady bits out on Wednesday and be somewhere on vaca on Thursday while we’re here talking about it.

4. Cookie says:

Celebrities are not role models! Teach your children to look up to real role models. These people are entertainers!

5. Char says:

Rih can do no wrong! The girl is promoting an album.

6. yusufswifee says:

i dont think anyone is confused about what kind of girl rhirhi is….fun, fun, fun. She is young and doing her. She is no ones role model…maybe gymspiration. Say what you want, bish is bad. And I dont mind the photos. AT ALL

7. ofentse says:

she looks hot yo, i say if you’ve got it flaunt it

8. Debbie says:

If people are over it… Why look I don’t get it..if I don’t like something I just stop looking at it ..simply…it’s her body but I do miss the high fashion

9. Debbie says:

Btw I agree @ anon2 and ofentse

10. Kishonda says:

Im over it. Sorry…like someone else said…its one thing to love your body..we get it..she looks wonderful..HOWEVER ..I’m sick of seeing her naked azz everywhere. Sweetie, put some clothes on and be a lady..DAM! She adds to this OVER sexualized world.

11. Deb says:

I think Rihanna might be living by Steve Jobs’ motto…..“Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma – which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of other’s opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.”
    and ditto @Anon2

12. love14 says:

I see nothing wrong with nudity, just as i see nothing wrong with wearing clothes. I’m not sure what there is to be tired of. We assign labels and expectations to things that are neither here nor there.

Beauty

14. Kishonda says:

@Deb I think Rihanna might be living Biggies motto..GET MONEY

15. Shatirah says:

Who cares how you haters feel? No matter what we say Rihanna’s still getting money, and she’s still gonna be doing what she wants! i love her, and all im saying is do you

16. When public nudity is no longer shocking, then we have a problem. Leave something to the imagination please.