November 8th, 2012
Holidays, Party, Style Inspiration, What to Wear
Fall 2012 Style Inspiration: What to Wear to a Black Tie Holiday Party
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

Jen writes, “I will be attending my girlfriend’s company holiday party. This is a festive affair and the invitation calls for black tie dress. I would like some ideas to be the most stunning woman there. Help!”

It’s about that time, isn’t it?

When I think of holiday parties, I instantly think shimmer and shine. Feel free to bring extra glamour considering this is a black tie affair.

A champagne colored gown may be subtle in hue, but the glitter effect makes it pop. When it comes to accessories, go dark. This pair of Nicholas Kirkwood pumps is the perfect mix between dark and flirty. Finish the look with a $48 Black Print Box Clutch, and a deep red lip.

Don’t want to shine so bright? How about opting for one of the season’s hottest trends, lace?

This emerald long sleeve lace gown is perfect for the holidays. Since the dress makes a big statement, go minimal with jewelry. A simple pair of earrings will suffice. If you’d like to add an extra ounce of drama, slip on a pair of embellished heels.

If you’re looking to keep things simple and effective, this look might be the one for you.

This purple asymmetric gown is relatively modest in design, except for that beautiful bow detail at the shoulder. Pair with sparkly pumps, a jewel embellished purse, and a dark mani.

For those who want to show off their legs, Claire came up with the following options:

She says, “Nothing screams holiday to me more than a little red dress! I liked this $405 Steffen Schraut Red Satin Ruffle Dress from Shopbop.com, but you can get a similar satin number from any low priced retailer, including ASOS.”

“I couldn’t decide which accessories to include, so I gave you several options. Two non negotiables for me are a pair of conversation starting shoes, like these Jimmy Choo Teazer Feather Sandals, and a hot coat. I love Rachel Zoe’s Velvet Tuxedo topper.”

“Shine bright like a diamond in this $185 Samantha Silver Sequin Dress by French Connection, then push the scintillation to the limit in Jimmy Choo Silver Glittery Cosmic Pumps.”

Throw on a DKNY faux fur jacket for warmth, and sizzle with a Diane von Furstenberg Lytton Clutch and Nine West Hoop Earrings.”

Good luck, Jen! It looks like I might have to engage in a little holiday shopping as well!

~Cliché

12 Responses to “Fall 2012 Style Inspiration: What to Wear to a Black Tie Holiday Party”

1. Jaslene says:

Great looks.

2. luvie says:

Living for ‘the shine like a diamond’ ensemble.

3. I think the last two red dresses may be a bad idea for a black tie party. The first red dress suggestion works because of the fabric but the last two might be hard to pull off. Great looks though! :)

4. vain319 says:

love them all,great options…check me out too!

5. wow, totally loving these! the first 2 are amazing and right up my alley…love the last look too

6. Marsha D says:

Cliche…..chiiilllllleeeeee……..gawn girl!

7. binks says:

LOVE!

8. Jazzy says:

Oh my…that lace dress look is giving me EVERYTHING right now.

9. Shelly says:

I LOVED this post! And I’m super excited for the holidays now, lol. I hope the reader writes back and shows us what she wore to the event.

10. Jen says:

Thank you for posting. Need some more looks however.

11. iQgraphics says:

that k lane bracelet is a MUST!
    Nice job on the high-low budgeting!!

12. Teena Leone says:

Loving the first sequin gown & the emerald green lace dress..can we say swoon! <3 Can't believe the holidays are here already! But it gives us a reason to wear pretty dresses ;)