November 2nd, 2012
Celebrity Style, Fashion Discussion, Rihanna
Fashion Discussion: When Does a Halloween Costume Become Offensive?
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

I’ll be completely honest; I’m obsessed with Halloween. Though it’s typically thought of as a ‘kiddie’ thing, it also seems tailor made for the creative set. Each year I look forward to seeing how my friends and celebrities alike will outdo their looks from the year prior (Hello! Heidi Klum, anyone?!). This year, with Hurricane Sandy coinciding with the holiday, I didn’t expect too much. Alas, I was mistaken.

Rihanna received quite a few side eyes when she decided to dress up as Mary Jane , a.k.a. Marajuana, a.k.a. Kush, a.k.a. Di Herb (sidenote: Lady Gaga also sported a Marijuana themed costume). She undoubtedly looked stunning, yet some of her own supporters felt her costume skewed tacky making sarcastic comments like, “Queen of Class…”

Rih’s on-again-off-again boo Chris Brown also seemed to ignite an uproar when he uploaded a picture to Instagram of himself along with friends dressed as what seemed to be terrorists, complete with the caption, “Ain’t nobody f*cking with my clique,” a reference to a Kanye West song. In a matter of minutes social media spun into a tizzy with countless people chiming in on how utterly nonsensical his choice of costume was.  While you’d think it’s a no brainer this was inappropriate, there were folks who were quick to come to the singer’s defense saying, “He’s not dressed as a terrorist….He’s dressed as a member of the Afghan military. Leave that baby alone”, and “Best Halloween costume yet”, just to quote a few of the comments circulating the web.

Country singer LeAnn Rimes also found herself in the midst of a debate when she decided to dress up as Sandy from the iconic musical, Grease. Any other year this costume probably wouldn’t have been given much thought, but in the wake of a merciless hurricane, unfortunately of the same name, many believed her Halloween garb was in poor taste.

My stance? At this point, there isn’t a thing Rihanna or Chris Brown can do that would come as a surprise to me; I’ve become desensitized to their shenanigans. I do, however, feel LeAnn’s costume was a bit insensitive considering the extent of the damage the storm caused mere moments before. While she most likely planned this ahead of time, I’m sure it wouldn’t have taken much to resort to a plan B (hello, ghost costume?) in light of recent events.

What do you think? Did you find any of these costumes offensive? Or were they all just in good fun?

~Cliché

59 Responses to “Fashion Discussion: When Does a Halloween Costume Become Offensive?”

1. Jamie says:

Newsflash: Offensiveness is in the eye of the beholder. So the whole “you’re just overly sensitive” response is null in my opinion.

With that being said, Chris Brown is an idiot, I didn’t even know what Rihanna was and Leann’s just seems like a bad coincidence.

2. Ronnie says:

Agree with lolodoll1 and Lil!

3. eSSJaye says:

Wow. Sometimes you just gotta leave certain topics alone. Giving people an opportunity to judge and slander others (because really they are so damn perfect) is a waste of space when i much rather be looking at someones crazy outfit.
    I like Chris Brown (shocked?) I could care less what he did or does to Riri…I think his costume is creative. While some might think its insensitive…guess what? He really doesnt care about your opinion (its quite clear). Riri- do your thing, wish i had thought of the idea first (bun more herb mi sey!!) and Leanne R- are people serious? Your getting offended? smh Halloween is a time to dress up however U LIKE and be someone else( the kid is an army guy..its called camoflouge, not “blackface” always tryna racialize the smallest things).Thats it.

4. kaygee says:

“Queen of class”.. more lyk “Queen of grass”.. ha!

5. kaygee says:

p.s: u didn’t mention the fake gun shot blood Leanne Rimes had on the side of her head?? dailymail did

6. JEM says:

Whatever floats your boat, and doesn’t sink mine

7. islandgirl says:

Its halloween, i thought people are allowed to dress however they want. Im sure chris brown was not the only person that dressed like a taliban this halloween or any other, they are costumes for crying out loud. Idk why leanne’s costume would be offensice. Cliche you should have just left this post alone.

8. Indigo says:

People need to get a life! Everyday someone is “offended”. SMDH America is filled with a bunch of drama queens and kings.

9. Indigo says:

At first I thought Luanne’s son was in black face, and that was the problem.. LOL