November 1st, 2012
Style Inspiration, Wedding, What to Wear
Style Inspiration: What to Wear to a Fall or Winter Wedding (On A Budget)
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

Sade writes, “I’ve been invited to a wedding this November in New York City. The rehearsal dinner is being hosted at Brasserie Les Halles, and the wedding and reception will be held at Ramscale. I’ve gone through past style inspirations for weddings (winter, evening in Austin, etc.) but I’m not sure any of those would work for these events. Also, and most importantly, I’m a college student so anything I find has to be affordable! Can you please help me?”

We love a fall wedding!

Allow us to preface this by saying Rent The Runway is a great place to get gowns for rent at a reasonable price, and can be returned once the night is over (join here). At any rate, take a peep at some of the looks we cooked up.

For our grown and sexy readers, we have a $165 Orchid Print Dress by Phase Eight.

Sure, winter can be dark, but you can incorporate fun pops of color with this wine colored coat and $18 Robert Rose Multi-Shape Cluster Earrings. Complete with black pumps and a black velvet clutch.

A simple purple gown exudes minimal chic, but receives a boost of funk from a leopard print coat. Add a pair of silver pumps for a spicy kick. Finish the ensemble with a pair of earrings and a tasty fragrance.

Long dresses not your thing? Set it off with this $20 Crepe Shift from Old Navy (it comes in different colors and patterns, and goes up to an XXL), and add a bit of interest with an Ombre Faux Mongolian coat from Topshop. Complete with Opaque tights, gray booties, a knit turban, and a look-at-me bib necklace:

This look is ideal for the rehearsal dinner.

I’ve been loving burgundy this season, and at $50, this knit dress from Mango is hard to resist. Since November brings cooler weather in NY, be sure to add a pair of black opaque tights with black booties to keep warm.  To bring it all together, incorporate some edge with these $20 Engraved Point Drop Earrings from Topshop.

Last but not least, when all else fails, bet on black (yes, it’s ok, especially for evening occasions).

Slip on a black lace dress with black ankle strap pumps. Spruce things up with emerald drop earrings, or these Sepia Mohawk Drops. Add a vivid manicure, a gold clutch, and you’re set for the evening.

Dance, eat, and drink it up, Sade! Hope this helped!

14 Responses to “Style Inspiration: What to Wear to a Fall or Winter Wedding (On A Budget)”

1. Sade says:

Yes, it helped so much! Thank you, Claire! I’ll be sure to send a picture of my final look. And I hope Sandy didn’t treat you too bad!

2. Taj says:

The first and the fourth looks are beautiful. I would definitely wear those to a fall or winter wedding.

Yes, the 1st and 4th looks are definitely something I’d wear to a fall or winter wedding. Great post!

4. I like everything except the long purple dress. Numbers 1 and 4 are definite bangers.

5. Dom says:

Those lace up booties are super cute!

6. The first one is the only one that I would consider. The other looks include great pieces but somewhat of an overkill with accessories and such.

7. Jennifer says:

I love look one. In the ShopStyle box there’s a coat, but it’s different from the one featured. Any details on the pictured coat?

8. Beans says:

You create amazing looks! I wish I would have asked about this Vegas wedding I have coming up but I love the first look!

9. Empress says:

The 1st look is the best!

10. Stace says:

Speaking from the perspective of attending several NYC weddings, please do not do look 2 or 3…

11. ASAP says:

Fashion Bomb Staff what shoes are in look one? I love the shape of them.

12. binks says:

1,4 and 5 are more my taste but great selections I wish it felt more like fall here :(

13. CheriV says:

Could you guys post details for the dress and shoes (esp. the shoes) in the black lace ensemble (pic#5)?

14. Kris says:

I love all of these looks! Thanks for sharing!