October 30th, 2012
Beauty
Beauty Bomb: Eyeshadow and Eyeliner Picks for Oily Skin
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

Casey types, “Hey. I have really bad oily skin and my eye shadow and eyeliner always seems to come off. I’m always having to reapply every hour. What do I do?”

Having oily skin is tough, but there are so many options for you.

1. Try a primer.

Primers do just that: prime the skin for makeup. Primers provide staying power and will give you several hours of crease-free makeup, locking your eyeshadow and eyeliner into place. I recommend Too Faced Shadow Insurance or Urban Decay’s Primer Potion. Just taking an extra minute to swipe on a bit–it’ll save you time throughout the day on touch ups.

2. Try a gel or cream eyeliner.

Gel and cream eyeliners have a ton of staying power, but you have to work quickly. As soon as they dry (within seconds), they don’t budge at all. As an extra step, make sure to set your liner with a similar colored eyeshadow or a translucent powder. Setting the liner will ensure it lasts all day. Some great gel liners are Urban Decay’s 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil and Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner

3. Stick with powder eyeshadows.

Cream shadows don’t work well on oily lids and will crease throughout the day. Apply your powder eyeshadow with a stiff brush and pat along your lid ( don’t just swipe). Some great powder shadows are L’Oreal HIP Eyeshadow and LORAC Eyeshadow (they’re long-lasting and nicely pigmented).

What do you do to combat oily lids?
~Lexi from Lexiwithcurls.com
Images: BlackHairMedia.com, eHow.com, FashionPhotoz.com, About.com

Posted In
23 comments

23 Responses to “Beauty Bomb: Eyeshadow and Eyeliner Picks for Oily Skin”

1. aaa says:

these beauty post aren’t very “Fashionbomb” brand……

2. aaa says:

they seem so generic

3. Mrs Windy City says:

Ive tried those options and still have problems…even when I have professionals apply.

BUT Im a little confused- you say try cream shadows and then ONLY powder shadows….. eeeek

4. Naynay says:

I was thinking the same thing @ Mrs Windy City. So which is it? Creamy or powder?

5. Felicia says:

I have the same problem (oily skin) as for eyeshadows I like Macs Paint Pot I have two of the colors and they stay on all day. As for eyeliners I’m still trying to find what works. I thought I found in with Sephora’s water proof liners and I’ll be darned it doesn’t work.

6. Lexi says:

@NayNay @Mrs Windy City – Cream eyeliner is okay just to line your eyes because it doesn’t budge…. but cream shadows are totally different. They are made different as well. The Cream Shadows for your entire lid will crease throughout the day if you have oily skin.

7. Mrs Windy City says:

Ohhhh ok

8. BVB says:

Not to sound ungrateful, but I was hoping for a beauty bomb post with more pizazz! I know you can do it Lexi!!

9. ladyjac99 says:

@ Naynay and @Mrs Windy City she said try cream liner that drys quickly and powder eyeshadows…Primers really help too and as they say patting instead of swiping works too.

10. ladyluo says:

The Urban Decay primer made all the difference for me

11. Nope says:

I have EXTREMELY oily skin and the only eyeliner that works is Lineur Intense by Loreal. I swear, by the end of the day, it looks like I fried chicken on my face! Everything else is all blurry and oily by the end of the day but that eyeliner stays put, no matter how long I wear it. It’s under ten bucks and so worth the money. Give it a try

12. Mo_Sheri10 says:

Reading is fundamental. She stated to use gel or cream “eyeliner” and power “eyeshadow”. A primer is a must for me before applying eyeshadow to prevent creasing.

13. Sade says:

glad that the beauty posts are back!

14. tricia says:

i so agree beauty post on this site is way beyond generic. and um cream shadows do not crease on oily lids, unless your prob talking about drugstore or certain brands. how do i know because i am beyond oily and i wear mac paint pots and make up forever and bobbi brown cream shadows and they DO NOT crease on my beyond oily skin/lids and i wear them from 6am until night time.

15. tricia says:

oh and i wear my cream shadows without any primer.

16. Deb says:

For oily skin, consider getting chemical peels from the doctor. Will help immensely. Will not help the eye area. Be grateful that you won’t wrinkle around the eyes and keep it moving. I would also try a dusting of powder before apply eyeshadow. Go lightly. And then set the liner with powder too

17. Deb says:

And you need a waterproof pencil. No gels

18. yusufswifee says:

what happened to danielle…i clicked on the beauty post section recently and realized that they are out of date…still found them useful #noshade

19. Nicole says:

I have the same problem and found that liquid eyeliner works for me. Gels still seem to disappear. Elf eye lid primer works very well. And Maybeline 24 hour eyeshadow (which happens to be a cream but dries like a powder) lasts the entire day for me no fading. HTH

20. lipstick_bandit says:

with oily skin, such as mine, i love a mattifying or setting spray…. it works wonders for me. it works in addition to primer to help set my makeup in its intended form… try urban decay (crowd favorite) in all nighter long lasting setting spray…

21. Felicia says:

@nope I started using Neutrogena (wash) and Ambi (moisturizer) and that seemed to tame the oil. I used to look like I poured baby oil all over my face or I was ready for a fight and rubbed on Vaseline….people would think I was sweating but I wasn’t and then add to that the breakouts!! A mess. But these two seemed to help.

22. all these comments are incredibly helpful! i will definitely give some of these products and tips a try! you guys rock :-)

23. randomness says:

What do you all mean by generic? Goodness, some children were raised wrong. You are getting this for free and you whine like little losers. @tricia, cream shadow creases on my lids, no matter which one it is, and what is wrong with drugstore stuff? Not everyone has your (suggested) long money. Lol people with money don’t really say things like that though. Rude!