October 17th, 2012
Celebrity Style, Hot or Hmm, Solange Knowles
By Faith

Solange Knowles attended the American Ballet Theatre Opening Night Fall New York City Center Gala in a floral and cherub print dress and gold embellished pumps, both from Dolce & Gabbana:

She finished her look with sparkling gold jewelry, red lips, and a sleek, straight bob. Her hair is so shiny!

Her shoes aren’t available, but the below are a pretty close match and just as cute.

It seems that her dress is an adapted version of this style from the runway.

Solange looks beautiful! Dolce & Gabbana was one of my favorite collections for the season. For the natural hair naysayers and Solange Scalp Police, look at how radiant and healthy her hair looks: versatility ladies and gents!

What do you think? Hot! or Hmm…?

40 Responses to “Hot! or Hmm… Solange Knowles’s American Ballet Theatre Opening Night Fall New York City Center Gala Dolce & Gabbana Dress and Pumps”

1. Lioness says:

Would’ve loved to see the length of her hair…

2. Yes! Those shoes are fab! Loving the hair and make up as well. Root realness!

3. unsee says:

Wow I’m never seen her look so…normal not standoutish. This is cute still.

4. Taj says:

Solange looks gorgeous

5. I love my solange, but I don’t love her hair! Girl stop messing around with it and let to what it wants! I understand she has to keep up a certain image but Ef that… Though I will take to consideration she might be bored with her fro

6. Bajan Candy says:

Not bad…She looks great in this dress. I like her hair too. #teamversatile aka rock YOUR hair however you please.

7. lolodoll11 says:

Not feeling the shoes with the dress. As for her hair, just a basis blow out.

8. Loni says:

Black and Olive get some versatility as Faith said. Anyway she looks too cute.

9. loverly says:

I think she looks great– the dress, the shoes, her hair. This pic will be all over the natural hair blogs in two seconds, with the natural “nazis” claiming she hates herself and that’s why she got her hair blown out. Poor girl. I adore that print, though. I don’t think anyone rocks prints as well as she does.

10. reesha says:

beautiful!! i hope it’s just a blow out (hair).

11. KBS says:

I love love love the shoes with the dress! Complementary but not overly matchy.

12. Asia says:

I love it! Her eyebrows bother me though :-/

13. Nicole says:

Solo looks a lot her sister in the face here. Hair looks shinny and healthy. She looks good.

14. afia says:

omg am i the only one that thinks she kinda favors aaliyah with her hair straight ?

15. girl says:

@ afia

you are definitely the only one who thinks she looks like aaliyah in this pic. straight hair doesn’t suit solange’s face. she looks better with a fro or big hair.

16. bella says:

she looks beautiful! i’m really over these natural hair snobs like plz have several seats! I’m currently transitioning but i’m really not into criticizing others for wanting to wear straight hair.

the majority of naturals do twist outs, blow outs, bantu knots, etc. that’s still manipulating your hair to change the texture. many naturals want that curly fro look. NOT your natural “nappy” fro. how is that any better than someone who has straight hair? get over yourselves.

*end rant*

17. SLIMB says:

Solange always does it for me, and I really love those shoes… theyre different.

18. essjaye says:

I concur. well said @bella

19. siti says:

agreement with bella BOOM!!! natural hair is about versatility …i am fro,pressed,twist,braid, whatever i please.

20. vizionheiry says:

Love the dress. Solange’s hair isn’t natural though. She uses heat to straighten her hair texture. She flat irons, she comb-dries, she may even press her hair. It’s her choice to do what she wants with her hair, but that’s not natural. She’s one of the first people to agree if you read her articles.

21. Alyssa says:

I think the general consensus is that “natural hair” refers to hair that has not been chemically processed. Therefore, she is natural. I know some people think natural hair is even more “natural” if absolutely nothing is done to it but the general “community” thinks otherwise.

22. bebe says:

@ Bella.
    Point. Blank. Period. Rock your hair how you WANT to rock it.

Anywho, I love that dress, it’s very femme. But I feel her makeup is a bit much, the combo of eye and red lip is overwhelming.

23. Jenna says:

Love this look!

Thank you bella! My fellow transitioning sista,lol, the BEST thing about natural hair is the versatility! Being able to rock it straight, curly or in a fro! @ Vizion natural generally means there are no chemicals in your hair to change the texture, just because she “styles” it with heat doesn’t make her hair any less natural, and majority of the time she has her fro or braids. This is only the second time I’ve seen her with straight hair since she’s been natural so I doubt she “overheats” her hair.

24. Starla says:

The epitome of perfection.

25. DIVA says:

she is giving the kidz FIERCE FACE & I love it !

26. Anon says:

Yes! Very elegant.

Yes ma’am bitch!

28. SHAQ NICHOLE says:

Aww..she looks sooo pretty!! Love this switch up look on Solange!

29. Gigi Young says:

bwuwahaha! Solange is such a troll–all the natural hair blogs are going to go nuts over her hair. But she looks good.

30. Dion says:

Your damned if you do, your damned if you dont so might as well live your life the best way you can. The girl is beautiful, straight hair, natural hair, doesnt matter. She is travling, going to amazing events, booking covers, deejaying all over the world, making money, she is enjoying the time God has given her. Bottom line? Live ya life Solo, you are beautiful xoxo

31. Andrea says:

I tend to love Solo and all that she does but this is real meh to me. Looks way better on the model and pale makeup free skin.

32. I’m stuck on her natural fro…i don’t like the straight hair. She does look beautiful, but a bit awkward to me. She could have but her natural hair in an undo. But the dress is beautiful

33. Solo said herself she’s NOT a “natural” she just does whatever the hell she feels like and hair isn’t a big deal to her. (DO YOU BOO!) That’s why she and Carol’s Daughter went their separate ways. She looks FAB here! Whatever she chose to do with her hair would’ve worked. I wish people would mind their own hair and not everybody else’s.

34. JanaejaQuel' says:

I absolutely love the fact that she can switch up her style, I love this look on her! Go Solange and her stylist are great!

35. Abby says:

Fabulous as usual.

36. whocares says:

She looks great! I dont understand the problem with blowing ur hair out! Thats the best thing about being natural! U can go curly, u can go straight! So first ur fronting if u get a perm, now its if u get ur hair blown out? So whats next ur not black if u run a comb through and its her head regardless! Those saying its plain, how is it plain when its strait, neat and shiny same way white people always have their hair? Black folks always have a problem!!Naturalforlifeblownoutornot

37. babyB says:

Work it Solange! Gorgeous!

38. kemi says:

Whoever said she looks like Aaliyah clearly needs thicker glasses.

39. keepitclassy says:

That dress is a work of art X-)

40. cottoncande says:

I love Solo. And this outfit is amazing. Her hair is gorgeous, her makeup flawless. Very cute.