October 8th, 2012
Pregnant Chic, Shopping, Style Inspiration, What to Wear
Fall 2012 Maternity Style Inspiration: What to Wear When You’re Expecting

Alex writes, “I’m 5 months pregnant! What do I wear that will be chic/fashionable and still be comfortable with my big ‘ol belly :)”
Congrats on your bundle of joy! One of my dear friends is dealing with the same issue: she’s pregnant with twins and is saving up–meanwhile, none of her old clothes fit! When we went out to dinner the other night and she pulled out a pair of sweatpants, I knew a few maternity style inspirations were in order;)
The first item in your arsenal: leggings. You want something stretchy that can work as your belly grows. I kicked off look one with a pair of Paradise leggings from All Saints, along with a few maternity tops in gold and black just to show you how many ways you can wear ‘em:

Since it’s fall, slip on a loose fit leather jacket, like this one by Isabella Oliver. Make sure the front drapes so that it will glide over your belly. Though it’s a splurge, it’s certainly a piece you can keep post baby!

Get even more patterned leggings options here:

Look two begins with a cozy sweater dress. Old Navy is known for their affordable maternity wear, so I started there with a $38 cowl neck sweater dress in Alpaca:

Add an extra layer of warmth with a long belted cardigan and brown riding boots:

Feel like dressing up a bit? Slip on Isabella Oliver’s Ruby Tailored jacket with a pair of $36 Topshop Maternity Wet Look Leggings:

Sport either flashy gold Steve Madden studded flats or a low heel. Finish with a maternity cape blouse and a red lip. Why not, right?

Lastly, if you’re trying to party it up, there are many options for you! The last look has a little something for both a young and an older mom. For the young vixen, a $58 Topshop Animal Print Maternity Bodycon. For the older sophisticate, a $179 ruched Isabella Oliver Francesca dress:

Slip on a cape to cover your burgeoning bump. Complete with a clutch and heels you feel comfortable in.

And enjoy!
For more inspiration, take cues from one of the most stylist pregnant celebs, Beyonce:

What do you think?

16 Responses to “Fall 2012 Maternity Style Inspiration: What to Wear When You’re Expecting”

1. tasha says:

I would totally rock the first and third looks now and im not expecting. Cute style.

2. Sail says:

I’m not pregnant but I love all of these looks. Love this piece Claire

3. victoria says:

I luv all the looks, can’t wait to rock it when preggers

4. Alex says:

Thanks much Claire. These helps alot

5. Mads says:

As someone who has been preggo (twice) I cosign all these – they are fab. I would advise to get the best black jersey dress you can afford and wear it to death. It’s also great for post baby when your tummy is still a bit round. A waterfall cardi is great as are leggings, a big bag and great jewellery to distract from all the girth you’re gaining. Enjoy the ride!

6. binks says:

These are some fly selections!

7. Kay'Gee says:

I don’t think i would walk around in heels with a big belly.

8. itsjustme says:

cute!!

9. Kia s. says:

Never knew top shop had such stylish maternity clothes! I must make a mental note for when its my turn…

10. Marie says:

Kourtney Kardashian also had a great maternity style!!!

11. Lolodoll11 says:

Cute looks. Agree Marie, Kourtney definitely has some cute maternity looks. Would’ve preferred to see Kourtney over Bey given that we’re highlighting fashion.

12. Shelly says:

I LOVE all of these looks! Def. may have to book mark this for the future, lol.

13. Sam says:

Loving most of those outfits

14. Linda says:

LOVE these looks!!

15. I would have to commend you for those great words and pictures of encouragement you give to all pregnant women out there. I guess it is always important to remind pregnant women that not just because they weigh a bit more and look bigger than before that they do not have any right to still look fashion worthy as ever. With the right maternity clothes that allow you to move freely, you can still be in tune with fashion even with a pregnant belly and show the world how amazingly beautiful pregnant women are.