October 5th, 2012
Style Inspiration, Trend, What to Wear, Winter Wardrobe

With all my traveling, I haven’t had much time to rock out with Style Inspirations (though that doesn’t mean they haven’t stopped rolling on in!). You ladies are heading out for first dates, concerts, birthdays, and more, so I decided to kick start our What to Wear Posts with 5 fall perfect outfits, for work, play, and everything in between.

First up, Nyasha says, “I will be graduating soon and starting work in the corporate environment. Can you suggest a cute outfit for me to wear?”
You can never go wrong with a printed shirt and skirt combo! I hopped onto this season’s oxblood and leather trends with a Gucci Plaid Pussy Bow shirt and L’Agence Leather Skirt.

Complete with simple black pumps and a matching bag:

Get the look for less here:

Next, Ashley writes, “I recently got accepted into “Teen Vogue Fashion University” which is a three day fashion conference for students in the city. It’s an amazing opportunity to meet fantastic people such as Grace Coddington, Andrew Bevan, Eva Chen and so on. I was wondering what you might think would be appropriate to wear to this type of event?”
Why not stand out from the crowd in Fall 2012′s prints on prints trend? Either try to mix and match yourself, or buy a dress with the prints already mixed (like the middle option by Milly):

Tone the looks down with black pumps or slingbacks, and a black bag:

Taryn says, “I’m attending my girl’s engagement party in less than a month and I have no idea what to wear. I want to look chic and really cute. Fashion bomb please help me!!!”
I’d welcome fall in dark skinny jeans by Rag & Bone, and suede over the knee boots:

Look fashion forward in a yellow tweed vest, uplifted by a funky chain belt.

Danah from Chicago writes, ” I am a 32 year young professional, and I am going on a first date with a long time friend from high school. Lucky for me, he decided to take me to see Lauryn Hill & Nas.(smiling while typing that part!)But unluckily for me I have nothing to wear. Although my “friend” has seen me plenty of times looking my cute regular self, I would like suggestions that will really impress him. Please help. Thanks in advance.”
Offer your own interpretation of Fall 2012′s leather on leather trend with a $290 Karl Faux Metallic Jacket and $311 Rag & Bone coated jeans. If you guys will be sitting, these $250 Black Suede Lace Up Elsa Ankle Boots by Sam Edelman are super cute:

If it’s more of a stand and dance concert, a pair of Giuseppe Zanotti sneakers should do the trick:

Complete with a beaded clutch and a Nous Sommes Grace Jones necklace (love!):

Lastly, Chenoa needed inspiration for a night on the town! She writes, “I need [to know] what to wear this Friday night for my Aunt’s birthday! We’ll be celebrating over sushi then later a jazz club. Sidenote: I’m 23 and I’m located in Phoenix where it gets hot. Help please!”
Sure! Embrace this season’s baroque/ornate trend in a $68 Lipsy Baroque Print Ripple Dress accented by the heels du jour, Tom Ford’s Padlock Pumps:

Finish with a burgundy lip and false lashes:

Would you rock any of the above?
Remember, the items above are pricey and only meant to inspire.
Take ‘em to a mall near you to find similar items within your price range.
Review all of the Fall 2012 trends in this post.

67 Responses to “Style Inspiration: 5 On Trend Fall 2012 Outfits for Dates, Work, Nights on the Town, and more!”

1. mary says:

NIGHTS ON THE TIME?? THATS A NEW ONE i usually have nights on the town lol

2. Claire says:

@mary Been working on these since 6am, sh*t happens. But thanks for the correction.

3. Martinique_Fr says:

Loving looks 1, 3, and 5 the most… Magnifique! Great job, Claire!

4. lawyerlady says:

That Jimmy Choo pump is everything that is good and right in this world.

5. Serenity23 says:

I love the first outfit with the leather skirt and pussybow top.. I need a cheap version of that skirt ASAP.

6. LA says:

Claire is really trying to push this oxblood thing.

7. mary says:

aww Claire Bear, thanks for your hard work. I <3 FBD!

8. Claire says:

@LA Of course! Because the Oxblood association along with Kris Jenner is sending me a check every week. FOH

9. Claire is going for the jugular!!! (rightfully so). Tell the critics to have a seat!!! HAHAHAHA

10. That first look is everything I need and more! Loves everything about it. SN: You guys need to give Claire a break! She just got back to the states from back to back shows so that we can know what’s going in fashion. I’m sure she’s still playing catch up on sleep, let alone life and doesn’t appreciate the sarcasm. Chill.

LOVE all of these selections – they definitely go right along with the fall trends I am loving and want to incorporate (oxblood, baroque, tweed…etc). & definitely wanna get those Brian Atwood boots! Love it all! Thanks Claire!

12. anon says:

I literally want to buy everything listed! Great selections. Fall fashions have always been my fave.

13. anon says:

@Claire for shuttin ish down! This is a website about fashion, oxblood is the it color right now. What would a good fashion site be without mention the fashion “its”?! Even if the creator of the site isnt a fan of the fashion “it”, they still mention it to get their readers going.

14. Nicole says:

Love the first look, those green suede boots and the shoes in this post are hot. Though I wouldn’t wear jeans to an engagement party I like the look.

15. unsee says:

Drag em Claire!

16. Hot, hot, hot! Great ideas Claire! tell the critics to have an entire stadium.

17. Jihan says:

lmao Claire, this thread is pure entertainment.

18. Adara says:

This post is giving me life! These are my favorite posts. I always like to get options on what to wear for different occasions. I love all of the outfit ideas. My fave is the work attire. I love the pumps. I have a pair of BCBG’s that are simmilar but of course a lot less in price. I also love the lace up booties. I had seen them previously and have been considering buying them. I really hope I’ll see more of the “What to Wear” post, I truly look forward to them!

19. yusufswifee says:

very nice pix. Claire you are still a saint…

20. iQgraphics says:

AWW man! now i want a pair of green suede boots!

21. anonymous says:

Um, i’m sorta new here, but are the threads always so rude???

22. hepisak says:

wow.. Claire.. i’m an avid reader but felt the need to comment, no need to be so rude ”FOH”??

23. ok says:

@anon 12:19: no, it only gets like that when some people who comment want to get all snarky as if they’ve never made a spelling/grammar mistake in their life or try to get brand new with clarie.

clarie is better than me, b/c i would’ve been blocked some of these IP addresses….cue [sh1t black girls say] delete! delete! delete! delete! [sh1t black girls say]

regarding the actual content of the post, i loved all the looks!!!

24. Kweenie78 says:

The 3-square-button pea coat is beautiful. Where can I find a link to it? (The American Apparel ‘similar’ one doesn’t tempt me as much…)

25. ok says:

also to note, people love to come out of pocket on the internet but would never say or even think of saying some of the stuff they say to people on the internet/blogs in real life. the anonymity of the internet is like liquid courage.

26. Claire says:

Hello everyone.
    There is a difference between being nice, gracious, and accommodating and being run over and treated like sh*t. I, along with Jihan, Faith, and Cliche work really hard on this site. I spent a lot of time on this post.
    Thank you to those who support us and our efforts. People like LA aka LoniAnn and a few others come on this site and leave rude comments ALL THE TIME.
    Most of you who have been reading for awhile know that I rarely/never respond to rudeness with rudeness, but today, I’m just not in the mood. And it seems like a slap in the face. How you just gonna come to my house and put your dirty feet on my couch?
    But I probably haven’t had enough sleep; my suitcases/clothes from 3 weeks in Europe are EVERYWHERE; I probably should just back away from the computer and handle my life, but oh yes, there are Mail Bombs. Coming right up! xoxo

27. cottoncande says:

I am in LOVE with every outfit. Going to the stores to find similar outfits for reasonable prices :-) Great inspiration.

28. Q says:

I really needed this post! I have a surprise party & no clue what to wear. closet full & nothing to wear. lol @ FOH (i’m sure you’ve held that back plenty of times! but its friday *cheers to the wknd*)

29. JDJ says:

Hahaha! I rarely post and with a new position haven’t visited the site as much in recent months but today was everything my soul needed; awe-inspiring looks and a sharp tongue. Claire I definitely feel you on the rudeness and love your fashion-sense.

30. bebe says:

Claire is finally regulating the shxt talkers. Bout time!

31. Tinu says:

Claire, this post is exceptional work just like all FBDs other Style Insprations

32. Briana says:

Love the post. Love FBD. Thanks Claire and the ladies of FBD for your hard work and QUALITY posts! xoxo

33. sheilap says:

I am inspired!!! I love the Tom Ford pumps and can’t wait to find “inspired by” pieces…You keep it HAWT!!!!

34. LB says:

a leather skirt is probably not the best idea for a real job in a corporate environment

35. Lee-Lee says:

Love the post, Love the site and support Claire all the way! People love being cyber bullies but some just got b!tch slapped now go have ten seats to left close to the door where you can exit!! Boop!!!!!!!

36. Eh says:

Three weeks in Europe. Poor you! How dare anyone on a fashion blog make comments other then praising your greatness.
    And I don’t actually ever recall you replying to something positive. You only reply to the negative comments.

37. robyn says:

oh Claire- you don’t owe anyone anything. You are a human like everyone else and for those Freddy FunSnatchers who always have something negative to say, trust they are miserable in their own existence and WISH they could experience some of the amazing opportunities that you have created for yourself. You are an amazing person and such an inspiration. Keep it up and dust the dirt off your shoulders.

BTW: I Personally LOVE oxblood for the fall! Keep the bloody posts coming :)

38. robyn says:

@Eh- Claire doesn’t have to respond to anyone. It’s her blog. And if she so chooses to FINALLY respond to the naysayers who always speak condescendingly and discouraging, then so be it. If you don’t “approve”, to the left, to the left.

And no, Claire isn’t paying me either to come to her defense. And I realize she doesn’t need me to come to her defense, but as a woman, I feel impelled to support other black woman who are living out their dreams and doing something positive other than aspiring to be a “video vixen”.

39. Bish Have a Seat says:

@Eh she was in Europe working for fashion week, not on vacation, you twat.
    If I were you, Claire, I would just quit with creating anything for ungrateful black bitches. Crabs in a barrel, I tell ya.

40. robyn says:

@Bish Hmmm…taking it a little too far are we? We don’t know if either of these posters are black and race honestly has nothing to do with it. I’m black, and so is Claire. So does she just shut down her blog since we’re all “ungrateful”? I get what you’re trying to say, but you may be opening up another can of worms that we don’t need. It’s Friday and beautiful outside (at least in baltimore). Let’s just keep it positive.

41. Mellow B says:

Cue the catty responses ^^^

42. Eh says:

Bish: and your point is? She loves fashion. She works in fashion. I’m sure there are tons of bloggers who would kill to attend fashion week.
    She doesn’t have to respond to anyone. But the response was too harsh for the comment. IMO.
    Not a crab in the barrel but why ignore the people who always make nice comments and only focus on the negative?
    As for the name calling. Keeping it classy all the way. But I don’t feed into trash so I’ll make my exit.

43. tt says:

well claire, as usual y’all come correct w/the fashions. love all of the looks! keep up the great work because this is one of the best fashion blogs around.

44. Frost says:

OMG! I love all of these outfits!! Beautiful job, Claire.

My only criticism is that even though I am aware that these are used as “inspiration”, a lot of these items (since they are expensive), will not have a lot of replicas available so it’s difficult to find similar items to duplicate the look and I’m left to just lust over the possibilities. :(

45. mirage says:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Finally Claire you put someone in her place. I love this post, can’t afford any of these yet but i will do a look for less.

46. Brenda says:

Claire, I am a long time reader and really love when you do Style Inspiration posts. I am definitely a big fan and love the direction your blog has taken. Because of you I do hope to go to Paris, Milan, London, etc. You and your team keep up the GREAT work. Have a wonderful and fashion filled weekend.

47. Andrea says:

The rudeness on this site. I’m starting a campaign to boycott. I’ve mentioned how unnecessary it is before but I suppose it fell on deaf ears. Don’t know what’s worse the attitudes or the inundated number of Kim K posts. I’m out.

48. lolo289 says:

Nice pieces…happy I found this blog!

49. ladyluo says:

Back on topic, I NEED the entire first look

50. Pari says:

I love this post! Such lovely options. Thanks Claire!