September 25th, 2012
Diversity, Fashion, Fashion News
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

• Condé Nast has named its first black Editor-in-Chief for one of its publications. Former Uptown magazine editrix Keija Minor will now sit at the helm of Brides magazine. Congratulations to Ms. Minor! (Clutch)

• Grown women who wear Hello Kitty: it’s a concept I will never understand, but it seems Forever 21 gets it. The fast fashion retailer is teaming up with Sanrio for a second apparel collaboration featuring the mouthless feline’s likeness. Teen Vogue has a sneak peek. (Teen Vogue)

Victoria’s Secret has come under fire this week for a “Sexy Geisha” outfit they were selling as part of their “Go East” collection. The “Go East” range promised a “ticket to an exotic adventure… Sexy little fantasies, there’s one for every sexy you.” (Like the sexy Asian version of me??) One of the “outfits” in question was a sheer cutout mesh teddy and removable floral peplum, which came with a pair of tasseled chopsticks and a fan, because, you know, that’s what Asian ladies carry around all day. After public uproar, the brand has removed the “Go East” collection from the website. (Daily Mail)

Giorgio Armani told Italian newspaper La Repubblica that he got his first job in fashion because he was good-looking: “Up until I was about 30 to 32-years-old, I used to potter around doing a small job at a department store,” he said. “I used to coordinate what went into the window or other store tasks, and I didn’t have to work very hard – because, well, I was quite good looking. The female managers in the shop used to favour me, making things really easy for me.” I got my first fashion-related job styling Hollister models (women and men) at their flagship store on 5th avenue because… well, it wasn’t ’cause I’m ugly (and neither was anyone else in my department)! Bombers, have you ever been hired for being attractive? (Vogue UK)

Vogue China *also* recently used an underaged model in their August 2012 issue

• So much for Vogue‘s health initiative. After making a big announcement, pledging to use “healthier-looking” models, and to “not knowingly work with models under the age of 16,” Vogue China and Japan have reneged on their promise, using a 14-year-old Brazilian girl in editorials. Progress! (?) (Jezebel)

• Refinery 29′s got a cute illustrated guide to fashion’s top editors. Check it out. (Refinery 29)

~Jihan

18 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: Condé Nast Names First Black Editor-in-Chief, Victoria’s Secret Pulls “Sexy Geisha” Line After Backlash, and Vogue Breaks its Health Initiative”

1. lv says:

What’s wrong with grown women wearing hello kitty? ol girl was just on here wearing a Mickey mouse sweatsuit.

2. MoD.com says:

I’m sorry but the fact that it’s 2012 and we’re still have the “1st black *anything*” is sad to me. But congrats to her and shame on Conde Nast for taking so god damn long to have a black woman in this role. Like seriously.

3. Tiffany says:

Hmm…I thought that the Go East lingerie was cute BUT if I saw someone in some kente cloth holding a spear…I’d be pretty darn offended too. Maybe they should’ve called it the “costume” collection or something. hmm…anywho, go Keja!!! :-)

4. KBS says:

That’s a good look for Keija Minor, congrats.
    And attractive people definitely get all kind of perks, including jobs, but you probably wouldn’t know it. How else can you explain Halle Berry winning that Oscar for Monster’s Ball? 20/20 or Dateline or one of those shows did a study on it a while back.

5. Heide says:

Uh maybe she won an Oscar because she did a good job. If Oscars were based on looks I highly doubt Meryl Streep or Whoopi would’ve won any.

And no hating on Hello Kitty.

6. Honey B says:

@KBS I agree wholeheartedly. Halle Berry is a mediocre actress at best.

And I have to agree again, the more nice-looking you are, the better people receive you. People are more trusting and receptive to nice-looking people. That’s life.

7. Savage says:

Agreeing with Heide!

8. I agree with KBS, Loves me some Halle, but Monster’s Ball was terrible. The movie she should’ve gotten an Oscar for was Frankie and Alice–now that was a great movie-you get in where you fit in I guess. I think the Victoria’s Secret lingerie is quite cute–people need to give it a rest.

9. Sandra says:

Congrats to Keija. I have never gotten a job because of my looks but I do know people that have. It is the sad reality of the world we live in. I had a girlfriend from Germany that used to live in NY. She is tall, blond with blue eyes.

She was here illegaly but still was able to find jobs because she was indeed very pretty. It was impossible to walk down the streets with her and not having men ( mostly white) throwing themselves at her. She even got a job working at one NYC hottest’s place. All she had to do was to look good because you know what, men will spend money on beautiful women and her bosses knew it. Gorgio Armani does have a point.

10. nia says:

I don’t understand why people get so easily offended. That lingerie looks like a modern take on geishas. VS didn’t intend to single out all Asian women, but maybe a small portion. If something was done with African women i

11. nia says:

I don’t understand why people get so easily offended. That lingerie looks like a modern take on geishas. VS didn’t intend to single out all Asian women, but maybe a small portion. If something was done with African women I wouldn’t take offense to that.

12. LawyerChic says:

I definitely had an older, Black, female attorney tell me I’d do well in this profession because I’m attractive…..dark and attractive at that. Yea she said it lol. But its true, people are a lot more patient and willing to help when you’re attractive. Its an unfortunate reality.

13. Dani says:

There is a typo on the picture tag. It says Vogue China instead of Japan.

14. Jihan says:

@Dani, that is because that photo is from Vogue China. If you click the Jezebel link, it notes it as such: http://jezebel.com/5945377/14+year+old-model-is-a-major-violation-of-vogues-very-public-pledge

15. Katie says:

I had no idea she was a high school drop out. Just goes to show you!

16. Dom says:

I’ve definitely gotten jobs because I’m attractive. They haven’t however, been super high paying, just something to hold me over until I got a good paying gig.

17. DoubleR says:

Uhm…I wear Hello Kitty. Not quite seeing how it’s much different from all these other animated characters and winks to childhood that these celebs wear that get a “Get the Look” nod. But, that’s just me.

18. Natasha says:

The VS get-up was hot but they did the most with the silly mini-fan and…chopsticks?!