September 24th, 2012
Celebrity Style, Hot or Hmm
By Faith

Happy Monday everyone!

It’s officially Fall and I am very excited!

This weekend was jam-packed with events from LA to Milan including the 2012 Entertainment Weekly Pre-Emmy Party, the amfAR Milano Dinner, and last night’s 2012 Emmy Awards.

Let’s get into this weekend’s looks!

Kerry Washington shined on the red carpet at the 2012 Emmy Awards in a sequin-adorned Vivienne Westwood Couture gown. Is she gorgeous or what? This is giving me all the life I need until Thursday when Scandal comes back to TV!

Embellishment clearly was one of the night’s biggest trends because Sofia Vergara looked radiant in a teal beaded halter gown with keyhole detailing from Zuhair Murad.

Lucy Liu went space age chic in a strapless paillette-covered gown from Versace’s Fall 2012 gown. This was one of my favorite looks of the night!

Orange was the shade of the night for Padma Lakshmi who looked like a princess in a strapless sweetheart gown from Monique Lhuillier.

Mindy Kaling didn’t quite make it to the red carpet, but she posed right outside in a forest green $1,595 St. John Collection Strapless Jersey Gown. I love this color on her!

At the event’s reception, Giancarlo Esposito opted for a black pinstripe tux. I know he’s twice my age, but he’s definitely hot.

Brights continued with Archie Panjabi in a turquoise Randi Rahm gown.

Shaun Robinson was the lady in red at the Awards in a halter gown with a plunging v-neckline. Work Shaun!

VEEP actress Sufe Bradshaw went for prints in a strapless watercolor floral print gown.

Last, but not least was Hannah Simone rounding out the brights trend in a custom yellow silk chiffon asymmetrical gown from Emilio Pucci.

At the amfAR Milano Dinner, Solange Knowles stole everyone’s glory for the night in a white Rubin Singer gown. She gave her look a pop of color with cherry red lips and gold bangles. Beyond hot!

Theophilus London went for all-black in a wide-brim hat, blazer, leather pants, and motorcycle boots. The boots threw me off here, but his date looks cute.

Like Theophilus, Miss Ghana 2004 Menaye Donkor went for all-black in a strapless tulle dress. Adorable no?

Model and actress Denny Mendez made a statement in a gown that was part costume ball and part shield.

Sisters Margherita and Teresa Missoni snatched Italian wigs as they are often known to do. The lip colors on these ladies are everything!

Last, but not least was Anna Dello Russo who played it quite demure in a look from Louis Vuitton’s Fall 2012 collection.

At the 2012 Entertainment Weekly Pre-Emmy Party in West Hollywood, NeNe Leakes kept it simple and chic in a sheer white button-front blouse, skinnies, and Christian Louboutin Pigalili Pumps. She looks great!

Mehcad Brooks represented for the gentlemen in a charcoal grey suit and fedora.

Metallic was the look of the night for Garcelle Beauvais who showed off her enviable figured in a long sleeve textured gold dress and $995 Jimmy Choo Maury Velvet and Leather Sandals.

Annie Ilonzeh went for embellishment in a sequin cold shoulder mini dress. I’m not feeling her shoe choice, but I do like the dress.

A few wigs were snatched by Tamela Jones who looked amazing in a cutout dress with a plunging v-neckline and a thigh-high slit. Yes, the dress does have quite a bit going on, but her body is so on point that it works!

Onto other celebrity sightings…all eyes were on Viola Davis at the New York premiere of her new film, Won’t Back Down. Brights work so well against her skin tone! This gets a thumbs up from me, especially in the beauty department.

My girl Rosie Perez also stars in Won’t Back Down and was on-hand in a form-fitting LBD. Rosie looks amazing, but those chunky pumps need to go.

Melanie Fiona opted for prints at the 2012 Canada Walk of Fame Awards in Toronto. Her printed asymmetric dress definitely gives me high-fashion, but the slingback open -toe booties are a hmm…

More prints! Christina Milian wore a black and white long-sleeve dress with black booties at the iHeartRadio Music Festival in Vegas. What is up with the chunky footwear ladies? Christina looks cute here, but those booties don’t do a thing when paired with her frock.

Rounding out the week was Eva Marcille who wore a printed off-the-shoulder jumpsuit to Sue Wong’s Transcendent Fashion Show in LA. The jumpsuit and woven belt are great, but the turban takes the look into costume land.

Who had your favorite looks this week?

34 Responses to “Weekend Hot! or Hmm… The 2012 Emmy Awards, amfAR Milano Dinner, the 2012 Entertainment Weekly Pre-Emmy Party, and More!”

1. SLIMB says:

Everyone looks hott with the exception of like 2 or 3 people, BUT Solange I must say served this page justice, look at her. . . everything is perfect LOVE HER !

2. Robin says:

I think everybody look really nice for the most part.

3. Santos says:

SO F-U-C-K-I-N-G LANGES (With an S)

SLAYED bitches and snatched wigs.

WORK.

4. Jihan says:

Viola Davis’ skin is ridiculous. I am sooo envious

they did poor Mindy dirty on that makeup though. Way too much powder for my beautiful Mindz

5. @KyleniR says:

Solange Knowles, Sofia Vergara, Lucy Liu, and Kerry Washington all looked the best to me. Fierce.

6. krystel says:

This post was great everyone for the most part looked awesomely delicious with the exception of one or two..that at this point need not be mentioned because of all the fabolousity going on.

7. KBS says:

Slayed AND snatched wigs? LMAO. Yea, she shut it down.

I thought Melanie Fiona was Demetrias Lucas aka Belle in Bk

8. JaQuel' says:

I agree with @SLIMB I love Solange, she definitely did her thang and to add, Kerry Washington looks stunning when I look at her I can just imagine her floating through the runway lol but seriously the majority of everyone did an amazing job!

XO – JanaejaQuel

9. DIVA says:

my favs were VIOLA, SOFIA, SOLANGE … everyone else looked nice too, but those 3 KILLED IT FOR ME !

10. jeda says:

Garcelle looks absolutely stunning. Love the dress, the shoes, and the hair!!
    Blessings

11. tt says:

most looked nice. others, not so much. solange did that! the missoni sisters looked matronly, melonie fiona f’d up her look w/that ugly blonde color, & theophilus & his date looked…incomplete.

12. My Two Cents says:

I don’t mind the occasional usage of the “wigs snatched” and “gave me life” language — that I (maybe wrongly) presume comes from the queen scene in places like Atlanta. It makes me chuckle. However, there was too much of it in this post. When not used sparingly, that kind of slang usage can detract from what is overall a fun, but professional, well-written blog. Furthermore, because it is only in select posts about select people, it’s incongruous with other sections where the blog tries to get very serious with fashion discussions and show reviews. I don’t know, it may just be me, but I’ll turn to Crunktastical, B Scott, Kid Fury, and more, when I want that “Fierce bish yassss werk” commentary– which is mainly subjective personal opinion. I come here for grown women (and some men)’s take on fashion with a focus on things that interest me as a somewhat urban person of color– things that places like Refinery29 simply can’t cater to on a daily basis.

13. Dom says:

Kerry, Sofia, and Miss Ghana did the damn thing!

Thanks for clueing me in on Scandal. I was supposed to have a date Thursday. Sorry, boo! ; )

14. Santos says:

* Meanwhile back at the home of Debbie Downer & Boo Hoo Bobby Funsnatcher *

Everyone looked nice!

16. Camielle says:

Solage, Lucy Liu & a few others look hot!!!

I wish nene would switch up her style a little & eva needs to have seat or five!

17. Bronze says:

Everyone look great.

18. LaTasha says:

My favs: Solange, Miss Ghana, Denny Mendez, Tamela, Mehead Brooks and NeNe’s shoes….nuff said.

19. reesha says:

Solange and Kerry are my style icons!!! And Viola Davies looks exquisite!!!

20. LoudPen says:

Loved Solange. She’s the only look I truly remember. I covered Rubin Singer back in the day so glad to see he’s still designing.

As far as certain comments, if you feel that passionately about it start a blog. #ImJustSayin

21. Sheba says:

@ My Two Cents,
    Oh give me break!!!!

22. Sheba says:

@ My Two Cents,
    Oh give me a break!!!

23. Nikkibellaray says:

All I’m seeing is Kerry Washington and Scandal, she has my everything right about now. Solo and Tamela looks great also!

24. hold up says:

2 cents shut the fuck up! Its not that deep!

25. Jihan says:

WRITERS: WE JUST CAN’T WIN.

26. lolodoll11 says:

Miss Ghana = absolutely breathtaking! She looks great. Like a princess in that pic. Lucy and Padma also look nice. Loving Garcelle’s dress. I think we need the deets on that FB.

27. Soul Touch says:

So many I just love…Kerry, Sofia (I normally wouldn’t normally like but I have a girl crush on her), Lucy Liu (breath taking), Padma (gorgeous colour), Solange (always on top), Menaye, Denny (beautiful woman) and Eva (love the outfit).

28. Dion says:

* Meanwhile back at the home of Debbie Downer & Boo Hoo Bobby Funsnatcher *-Santos
    Lmao!! Yes My Two Cents take your said 2 cents some where else pretty please and thank you.
    Solange is everything she SLAYED, SNATCHED WIGS, LAID IT OUT, PUT HER FOOT IN IT, EVERYTHING!

Everyone looked amazing! Though Mindy my love your makeup, I love ya girl but please never again!

29. rachelyvonne says:

this is probably one of the best weekend hot or hmm’s in a LONG time. The good outweighs the bad, by far!

30. V says:

Padma killed it! Gorgeous colour!

31. AH says:

Let the bootie trend die

32. Siyam says:

Gonna need all the chunky boots to disappear lol

33. My gurl Solange be doin’ da damn thing

34. Jcrewgal says:

I agree (rid) the booties!