September 7th, 2012
Awards, Celebrity Style, Fashion, Hot or Hmm
Hot! or Hmm…: The 2012 MTV Video Music Awards
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

MTV’s annual Video Music Awards went down last night at LA’s Staples Center. Did you tune in?

The awards show is known for the wacky red carpet fashions, but this year, our celebrity friends managed to churn out some pretty underwhelming ensembles.

Let’s get into it:

Wiz Khalifa and Amber Rose used the VMA’s as a vehicle to announce Amber’s pregnancy. *coughBeyoncédiditbettercough* Rose rocked a short platinum blonde ‘do and curve-hugging turtleneck lace gown. Wiz channeled Steve Urkel in an all black high water suit.

Our friend Robyn Fenty blessed the kids with this Rosemary’s Baby pixie cut. The Bajan songstress served in a knotted white gown, custom created by her frequent collaborator, Adam Selman. Werk!

Rita Ora gave the world a glimpse of her goodies in a custom Emilio Pucci jumpsuit. She finished her look with Sergio Rossi pumps and a Jimmy Choo clutch. Hmm…

Just in case you forgot: Gabby Douglas is adorable.

Zoe Saldana offset her Salvatore Ferragamo frock and black strappy sandals with a case of bed head.

RuPaul won the coveted “Best Dressed Male” award in this red,white, and blue suit. Hmm, I’m just gonna ignore those sandals…

Thank you, Alexander Antebi, for keeping us all awake.

Is it just me, or is Kat Graham‘s burgundy suit jacket a little ill-fitted? Gorgeous makeup, however.

As she is wont to do, Nicki Minaj let her freak flag fly in a lacy, sequined jumpsuit and sparkly Christian Louboutin pumps. As for the wig, I can’t even conjure up any semblance of shade– it’s laid like Farrah Fawcett.

My future ex-husband 2Chainz was dipped in Versace, but topped his look off with one of those interesting Givenchy brimless hats.

I’m not here for this monochromatic get up Tyga‘s sporting. Hmm…

And finally, Alicia Keys was the picture of elegance in a golden Alexandre Vauthier gown, Gucci shoes, and Lynn Ban and Repossi jewelry. Hot!

That’s all, folks! Who do you think was best dressed?

~Jihan

54 Responses to “Hot! or Hmm…: The 2012 MTV Video Music Awards”

Nicki’s hair was laid, I loved Rita’s outfit change,

2. tt says:

wiz, rita ora, alexander antebi, rupaul’s white sandals, nicki minaj, tyga…oh hell, everybody in this post except rihanna & amber rose looked a mess.

3. makeeasweet says:

i love kat graham suit and makeup,its a great fall look.amber rose face look creepy.rupaul have such a pointy head,i like his outfit(minus sandals).

4. T1K says:

A lot of hmmms… Even Rihanna’s dress doesn’t convince me. Alicia’s body doesn’t look right in that dress, plus as always she seems to be trying to hard, nice girl though.

5. zona says:

okay, Wiz needs to eat something, he’s fading away!

6. Jake says:

Jihan is always forcing these insults. I’m getting tired of it. Yawn!

7. Lolodoll11 says:

Liking Amber’s look the best. Wiz, oh Wiz. Sigh! First time I’ve ever given a Rita Ora look a thumbs up but she gets it from me today. Also like Gabby’s look but I think she should’ve gone with a different shoe. Lol to future ex hubby. That’s what I say about Ryan Lochte all of the time!

8. Yesmama says:

RiRi is absolutely stunning!

9. BeautifullyCreated says:

I loved Rita Ora’s fashion choices. Especially that white gown she presented in. Rihanna kind of boring, hair looks better though with a gown. Um Nicki looks like a fool. Amber and Wiz actually look normal for once. Everyone else…meh.

10. heyyall says:

alexander antebi, looks like a crazy fool!

11. Mappingthecity says:

@Jihan Alicia’s hair gets 2 yawns for me. She is always missing something imo

12. MoD.com says:

Rihanna just always looks so damn good at awards shows. I LOVE the pixie cut on her.

RiRi looked amazing, in my opinion the best she has ever looked. Her hair is everything.

14. mecnbug says:

Yes Beyonce did it better. Doesn’t she always? I like Amber but I agree with @makeeasweet – the face is creepy. But I couldn’t be bothered with the awards show last night. Our President was speaking! Hello!!!

15. Dom says:

You know its a slow night when RuPaul takes it (minus the sandals) the rest of these folks look hmmmm.

16. niksmit says:

Rihanna’s gown was a mixed bag for me: hot from the back, hmm from the front.

I am underwhelmed by all of these, even the try-hards.

17. Coco says:

Amber and Rihanna look amazing. Alicia does not. Rita’s jumpsuit is a mess that could have been saved had it been a gown, was not that low cut and the sheer material wasnt so dark. Everyone else just blah to me.

18. Savage says:

I love Amber’s vampira look actually. A nice Mommie Dearest kind of thing. I can’t stand that damn 2 Chainz but he looks so damn dope and high fashion at the same damn time. Nicki can get lost, I mean we get it..ur tacky.

19. Taj says:

Rihanna, Amber, and Alicia look beautiful.

20. Enigma says:

Jihan, these pics were posted in the order from cute/decent that ends at Rupaul (minus his Jesus sandals) to tragic. I kinda wished Rihanna was wearing Rita Ora’s outfit (I liked it) I know she would’ve slayed it

21. Camielle says:

Rihanna looked hot! Kind of reminds me of basic instict meets mia farrow. Amber looks nice the makeup was a little off.
    Wiz looks like he was trying on the baby clothes. RuPaul just needs to give the jesus sandals a rest. Tyga looks like a QVC customer overload. Nicki looks like her 15 minutes is slowing pulling in. 2 chainz i love uuuu lol

22. Joanne_ says:

Zoe Saldana, who happens to be my girl crush was my pick for best dressed last night! lol

23. Yawn says:

Amber Rose looks like Casper the Friend Ghost’s Mama!!!

24. Amber looks good, I wish I could see her bump a lil’ better. I can’t with Wiz with those leprechaun shoes and his ankles out. Ru Paul looks nice, everyone else is a no or a hell no!

25. style watch says:

ru paul and alexander antebi i just dnt even knw. rihanna was aight, niccki was just nicki, 2 chainz looked like gold through up on him so i dnt even know, i have no idea what tyga was thinkin i guess he thought he was a biker smh.

26. TheAntifash says:

Here for rude gal rih, and rude gal rih only. I LOVE this cut on her, and the dress was stunning.

27. Likkle Miss says:

I’m sorry, Alicia always gets it wrong. Always.

I did however spy Solange out last night and she looked amazing as always.

28. Stylishly Yours says:

Rihanna looked amazing!!! Absolutely gorgeous! Other than that I stopped watching the show after her performance. The VMA’s havent been good since the early millennium

29. Eeeezy says:

I agree with Likkle Miss….Alicia always gets it wrong. She just has this boyish/manish stance that just won’t go away. That hair cut does nothing for her. It actually hardens her look even more. Her posture in that gown gives off “HARD”. I don’t know what to say about her. I never like her fashion choices…BUT I love her music.

30. Faith says:

2 Chainzzzzzz! And I hope that Amber transfers her baby weight to Wiz after she gives birth. He’s model thin though!

31. mamareese says:

Go Ru go Ru…just ditch the sandals honey. Some white oxfords would have been the business!

32. Briana says:

Rihanna is the only HOT! And I’m crying @ Faith! *teehee*!!!

33. Dom Dom says:

How much does short hair show off Rihanna’s GORGEOUS face?? Ugh, LOVE!

Minaj looked like a clown as always. the ratchetness apperance is tired. As well her label bro Tyga. he needs a new stylist PRONTO. to be hinest the whole Young Money is starting to look like a circus show. Ri adorable..i’m still not totally on board with the new hair, it’s aged her. i loved Amber’s look as always. Wiz needs to lay off of the weed he’s way to thin. 2Chainzzzzzzzz always brings it. Rita gets a BIG smh. And Alicia…ehhh okay i guess.

*honest

36. soon2Bmrs says:

Amber & Ri. Everyone else, meh.

37. Syl says:

Jus bcuz amber revealed her preganacy the same way B did last year doesnt make it less “better”. They both glowed the same and shared their joy with the world. Why did beyonce do it better??

Oh n although alicia looker stunning i gna give her dress a hmmm… Rihanna was mediocre. I loved wat Rita changed into wen she presented the award…. Everyone else is hmmm.. Cept gabby of course^_^

38. Fifi says:

Amber didn’t announce her pregnancy like Bey… she’s been rubbing her tummy for weeks, we all saw the bump, Beyonce hid hers until the day of the award…

39. Fifi says:

Oh yeah, Amber looks the best from what I’m seeing, I like Rih’s new hair and she looks hawt in that dress, but everyone else? *yawn!*

Rita, rita, rita, why you doing this to yourself? :( it’s different …but it’s awful

40. kima says:

Rihanna slated. Amber looked sexy, beautiful pregnant. Don’t like the way Alicia Keys look.

41. kima says:

*slayed.

42. DannielleS says:

Rihanna looked the best. Rita looks ridiculous. She has great boobs, show them some respect lol!

Amber’s makeup is terrible, but congrats on her pregnancy

43. DIVA says:

Alicia still doesn’t have a clue… money can’t buy style
    Amber looks beautiful….her baby daddy not so much
    2Chainzzzz looks a gaudy mess, but I’m ridin with his sound, Tyga looks like a fool with new money
    My inner harlot absolutely loves Nicki & Rita’s sexy naughty looks
    Ru looks FIERCE as per !!!

44. DIVA says:

Alicia is not a girl on fire with her new look, sorry.

45. Sandra says:

Beside Amber and Riri, there is too much hmmm going on for me. I never like Alicial Keys sense of style. I will give Gabrielle Douglas a pass because she is a newcomer at this celebrity thing. Hope things get better for her and that she gets a team that helps her land lucrative deals.

46. Chris styles says:

Lmao I Ivan always tell when a post is written by Jihan. Everyone seems to be feeling Alicia Keys’s outfit but it seems off to me. Not feeling her look at all. Her performance outfit was cute though. Amber looked nice and so did Rihanna and Gabby. Everyone else is hmmm, IMO.

47. Shanice says:

Jihan is perfect. Simply put.

48. Jennifer says:

I see we’re playing favorites. Everyone but the bless-ed Zoe looks meh, including Rihanna.

49. Kameela says:

who made nicki minaj bodysuit and ambers dress

50. J Danielle says:

I love Jihan’s posts. I like that he gives an honest opinion for people to agree or disagree with. I don’t see where he insulted anyone.