August 29th, 2012
Fashion, Fashion News
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

• Spanish magazine Fuera de Serie has come under fire for placing a painting of First Lady Michelle Obama‘s head superimposed onto a famous painting from the 1800s “Portrait d’une négresse” by French artist Marie-Guillemine Benoist. This particular photo of Mrs. Obama comes from a collection of famous nudes by artist Karine Pecheron-Daniels. (Christian Louboutin also recreated the original painting for his Fall 2011 campaign.) Several outlets have denounced the cover as racist and disrespectful, promoting the hypersexualization of black women. While I wouldn’t jump and say the magazine intended to call Ms. Obama a slave, I do think it’s wildly inappropriate to depict the First Lady in the nude, especially while her husband is in office. (HuffPost Style)

Mulberry will soon release its F/W 2012 Catwalk Collection of bags. Look for the popular Del Rey (named after Lana), Maisie, and Zig Zag bags in stores September 3rd.

Tyra Banks has been catching a lot of flack lately from a smattering of media outlets concerning her Harvard “Business School degree.Jenna Sauers of Jezebel called out the model mogul, saying Ms. Banks has made several misleading statements regarding the nature of the program she enrolled in, suggesting that she was actually a student at Harvard Business School. While Ty-Ty did indeed attend classes on the Harvard Business campus, she was never a student in the traditional sense. She attended a certificate course at the university called the Owner/President Management Program, which does not award participants a degree of any kind upon completion. In response to media claims that she consciously misrepresented herself, Tyra Banks’s people released the following statement: “Tyra has always been open and honest about the Owner/President Management Program that she attended and completed – a program taught as three one-month, 6-days-a-week sessions over the course of three years – at Harvard Business School and this has been well documented in many respected news outlets, including stories running as recently as two days ago in USA Today, Hollywood Reporter and Entertainment Weekly to name a few. Tyra is extremely proud of this accomplishment and rightly so – graduating from this program was a major feat and she continues to be an inspiration to people around the world.” What do you think? Does Tyra deserve to be called out? (Styleite)

Havaianas has tapped Mathhew Williamson to design a two-piece rain boot range. The boots boast Williamson’s signature peacock print, as well as prints featured in his Fall 2012 collection. No word yet on a release, but we’ll keep you posted. (Vogue UK)

John Galliano has allegedly filed an $18 million dollar suit against his former employers at Christian Dior. The former creative director has complained to France’s labor court, the Conseil des Prud’hommes, and a hearing has been scheduled for February 4th. A rep for Galliano has declined to comment on the situation, so we don’t yet know if this suit has to do with Galliano’s dismissial from the label back in 2011. (Vogue UK)

~Jihan

27 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: Spanish Magazine Depicts First Lady Michelle Obama as Topless Slave, Is John Galliano Suing Christian Dior?, and Tyra Banks’s People Finally Set the Record Straight on Her ‘Business Degree’”

1. Mely B says:

I’m beyond disgusted with what that Spanish rag did. I have never seen a FLOTUS or POTUS disrespected by these mags as President & Mrs. Obama have been (IMO).

2. mi manning says:

…in their eyes…once a nigger, always a niggger! you think they didn’t know what type of response this would ignite?! everything is strategically planned to galvanize the masses, especially black people, to steal more energy! i’m over it all!

3. Bie says:

I happy for Tyra, atleast she attempted to do something with herself rather than rely on her looks! A black woman futhering her education, i’m not mad at it. But Queen Bey gotta do better, she barely has a GED :(

4. nishaboo says:

evntho im completely unaware of wat ntentions they had makin Michelle nude, im really not feeling it. thet mite call it art but save that kinda shit for Prince Harry’s wife. Michelle should b respectd damnit!

5. DannielleS says:

I do not think the Tyra thing is a big deal and she should not have been called out. By furthering her education whether with a degree or a faux degree, she is encouraging young black women to pursue an education. All black women should be encouraged to do that because we cannot all go the entertainment route. The person who called her out is an ASS

6. tasha says:

Tyra went to further her education. Kudos to her no need to “call her out” for bettering her life. Wish more people would.

7. I am not sure why any black owned business would promote such nonsense. The purpose of such shenanigans is to encourage people to discuss the publication. Black people have to develop some integrity, anything and everything should NOT have a price. Which is why there are people like Nene and Tami Roman shucking a jiving. The exploitation of rap music is another example. There is something about integrity. Why would a black woman post such a picture of the 1st black president is such a lite. There is something about respect. I don’t know if the owner of this site is America. But there is something about racial pride. Check out the Koreans they embody the epitome of racial pride. You can learn something from them.

8. Excuse the typing errors. That is Tami Roman and NeNe Shucking and JIVING like buffoons. The 1st black first lady I meant to say.

9. love says:

That magazine is completely classless. She is the first lady!! They need to show some respect. Her image is very important and that cover was in completely bad taste.

10. Candylicker says:

They hate us and they HATE the fact that a BLACK MAN is running the country. IT”S HAPPENING!! A Black man is in office.!
    So much disrespect towards this man and and his family, it’s disgusting!!

11. AzizMom says:

Another example that foreign countries have little respect for the USA dignitaries. FLOTUS has the second highest seat behind the POTUS since we don’t have a King/Queen caste system. This is blatant disrespect to the spouse of the highest seat in our country – the world for that matter! SMDH

12. Marthe says:

And please; read this (it is on the website of the artist)

STATEMENT: MICHELLE OBAMA NUDE AUGUST 2012

If any of you have found this piece of art insulting I would like to say that my GENUINE intention was never to chock or upset anyone.
    I created this picture as part of a series of other famous nudes
    As an artist I only paint and create pictures of people I admire and feel passionate about
    Michelle Obama is one of these people.
    In my eyes , the picture I created here is of a beautiful woman with a beautiful message : The first Lady of America in the first time in history is a black woman who proudly and confidently displays her WOMANHOOD (the nude) her ROOTS (the slave) and her POWER(the First Lady of America embraced by the American flag).
    This picture, is a celebration of EVERYTHING GOOD, it is a celebration of achievment and in my opinion is not a racist slur.

I am not a racist: I admire people regardless of their colour and this picture was ment to be a tribute….totally lost in translation .
    With my art I try and show beauty NOT DIRT.

13. zimbabwechic says:

And to the artist I say GTFOH! Rubbish! Lost in translation? The Spaniards are notorious for their racism, one only has to look at their behaviour at the Euro 2012, these morons think throwing bananas at people and making monkey noises is PC. Show me a pic with the Queen’s titty hanging out and I’ll show you outraged Spaniards. Disgusting!!

14. V says:

Complete disrespect. The racist discourse that has been spewed at the President and the First Lady since he has been campaigning is absolutely disgusting. Race relations in this country has not improved one bit since 2008. Once a ni—-, always a ni—– in their eyes I can’t!

And as for Tyra let the girl live. Like seriously so she didn’t get a degree, she still completed a university program at the most prestigious school in the country. She furthered her education to further build her multi million dollar brand. Who else can lay claim to that??

15. tt says:

this is an outrage & the lack of respect towards the first lady & the president of the usa & towards blacks in general is DISGUSTING!!! we ARE the most hated group of people for just being. these racist ALWAYS come back w/that, “i meant no disrespect. i’m not racist.” this is some straight up bullisht! zimbawechic, you are absolutely correct about spaniards & their racism. no wonder so many black hispanics have such self hate.

16. tt says:

claire, what happened to the vote option?

17. Kory Conover says:

I’m outraged and disgusted at this depiction of Mrs. Obama. The audacity of that magazine. It’s unbelievable!

Tyra has been knowingly and intentiinally misleading people about her time and acheivements at Harvard and I’ve been patiently waiting for the day when someone would call her out. Alas. Thank you.

18. Candace V says:

@ Kory: I agree Tyra has been misleading people and she should be called out. Better yet she should have completed the program quietly, with only her family and friends in the know.

Black women are doing quite well educationally and we don’t need someone bragging about a FAKE degree to inspire them. They have women with REAL degrees, i.e. our First Lady, to do that. And she does it well.

19. Orantus says:

They woulda been f****ing that nigga slave though! Aint that why all so many amercians are light skin with certain features, brazilians, caribbeans look the way we do cos the white man “hated” us so much yet he couldn’t wait to stick his smelly old pilgrim dick in us.

20. can says:

Wow, this site should really filter comments. The picture was tackless and racist. I can’t stand when people do stupid stuff and the first thing they say is “I’m not a racist”. I call your BS. Like the young lady said they wouldn’t pull this crap with the Duchess and we haven’t heard or seen any publications with prior first ladies. So come off that “I’m an artist, this is artistic” sh*t. I’m not buying what you selling.

21. EatStylePlay says:

Given the historial nature of the actual artist, and how talented she was I personally see nothing wrong with the actual art, but I do think it’s crazy to have the first lady’s face plastered on a nude photo. Given the picture became a symbol for women’s emancipation and black people’s rights. I personally don’t see anything wrong with it. But that’s just my opionion. i know magazines these days do crazy things for attention.

22. EatStylePlay says:

As i think about it more, I don’t know what to think, I don’t think it’s racist, but I think it’s was tacky to put her face there period, I’m sure if they were going the route of plastering ppl’s face to beautiful artwork they could have picked something else, there are other nude(ish) pieces the made but this is a woman who is a sitting presidents wife.

23. Honey B says:

This artist knows that art is subject to INTEREPRETATION. And this artist knew without a doubt this painting would cause an uproar. I find it very tasteless, disgusting, and sad that the artist had to depict the educated, beautiful, wonder First Lady of the United States in this manner . The disrespectful attitude different nations and the media have shown toward the First Family only furthers my knowledge that racism is alive and well.

24. LaTasha says:

Please leave Tyra alone. I applaud her for going back to school regardless of whether it was for a degree or not. And the disrespect of the First Lady. I’m not surprise. I said this before and I’ll say it again. No matter what people of color do there will be people who for whatever reason(jealousy) will never like us. All I have to say is black girls rock and keep making people mad by becoming successful. People are just mad because of all we’ve been through we still manage to rise and be great. Imagine how frustrating that is for our haters…

25. Bella1 says:

THIS IS BEYOND CRAZY. IT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL TO POST SOMETHING LIKE THAT ABOUT THE FIRST LADY. DID THEY DO STUFF LIKE THIS WHEN JACKIE WAS THE FIRST LADY? OR ARE THEY JUST DOING THIS BECAUSE MICHELLE IS GORGEOUS AND BLACK? ANYWAY, ITS SAD AND PATHETIC. AMERICA NEEDS TO PUT THIS MAGAZINE AND ITS COUNTRY BACK IN ITS PLACE

26. Bella1 says:

BY THE WAY, THERE ARE PLENTY OF AFRICAN AMERICAN WOMEN WHO ALREADY HAVE COLLEGE DEGREE’S. I’M GLAD TYRA IS FURTHERING HER EDUCATION BUT DON’T ACT LIKE THIS IS THE FIRST TIME YOU HAVE SEEN THIS. WE HAVE ALWAYS BEEN AN EDUCATED RACE OF PEOPLE!

27. Bella1 says:

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO SEE NOTHING WRONG WITH THE PICTURE, DID YOU SEE THE TITLE SAYING THAT MICHELLE IS DEPICTED AS A SLAVE? THAT IS NOT ART. SINCE WHEN IS SHE A SLAVE? NEVER! SHE GRADUATED FROM HARVARD LAW SCHOOL. SHE IS THE FIRST LADY AND SHE COMES FROM A FAMILY THAT IS EDUCATED AND WEALTHY. SO WHAT IN THE HELL MAKES HER A SLAVE. NOTHING YOU DUMB FUC**