August 29th, 2012
Style Inspiration, What to Wear, Work Wardrobe
Style Inspiration: What to Wear to the Democratic National Convention
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

Alex writes, “Hi Fashion Bomb! I love your blog! I was lucky enough to get tickets to the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, where I will be witnessing history as I watch President Obama officially accept his renomination for the Democratic Party. It will undoubtedly be a long day starting from standing in line to get into the stadium early in the morning to watching Pres. Obama and Vice President Biden speak in the afternoon.  I want to remain youthful (i’m 24) but not appear inappropriate for such a great event. I also don’t want to break the bank for this outfit.  Thank you so much for your help in advance!”

Congrats on getting tickets! As for the fashion, aside from patriotic pins and accessories, this isn’t the place to be super flashy. There are people who come business casual, and there are other attendees who show up wearing a t-shirt and pair of jeans. If you’d like to dress up a bit, keep it clean and relatively simple. Also, because you mentioned waiting in line, comfort is crucial.

Claire kicked off the first look, saying, “Show your Democratic spirit in an on trend blue peplum dress with slight sleeves (sleeves are better than none, since this is a conservative affair).”

“Show your American pride by adding in red elements like a Chloé Paraty bag, and tie it all together with an American flag ribbon. Keep footwear simple with smart black pumps and complete the look with a simple watch and chic studs.”

While I was watching the Republican National Convention last night, I noticed many people showed up in red, white, and blue. Whether you’re a Republican or Democratic, these conventions are the perfect opportunity to exhibit American pride.

I chose this Cherry Twist Skater Dress , currently available at Topshop, for its feminine cut and vivid color.  I also included Juicy Couture stud earrings to help maintain the classic aesthetic. Pair your dress with black and white pointed ballet flats, and throw an American flag bag over your shoulder.

Next up, I went for a blue sleeveless button shirt, and white skinny pants.

If you’d like to keep the look youthful while adding a wee bit of edge, opt for studded leopard print flats, and two tone button stud earrings. Carry a black satchel, sunglasses, while decking out your smartphone with a little red and white swag.

This last look features a polka skirt, and red blazer.

You can break up the red, white, and blue theme with neutral accessories. I offered a pair of brown flats (as comfort is the name of the game), and a brown crossbody bag. Finish your look with a string of pearls.

Take a look at a few pictures from the 2008 Democratic National Convention (Peep Michelle Obama in a pair of flats).

Enjoy, Alex! I’ll definitely be watching and getting my life!

~Cliché

17 Responses to “Style Inspiration: What to Wear to the Democratic National Convention”

1. lolodoll11 says:

Some cute looks. I think the last two are probably more appropriate for the convention though. Also, lol at “because you mentioned waiting in line, comfort is crucial” and the very first outfit suggestion contains some of the most uncomfortable shows known to man.

2. Claire says:

@lolodoll11 I did the first one. The Louboutin’s are in the collage, but I made sure to include a pair of Vince Camutos with a more reasonable heel, since comfort is key.

3. Brittany says:

Completely agree @lolodoll11.

4. k says:

@ Claire
    What brand is the blue dress you actually have featured? You didn’t put it in the “shop options” box. I like that one better because of the sleekness of the cap sleeves.

5. k says:

oh and the quality looks much better!

6. Dee says:

Omg! Love this post. I have Ben working on my voting day outfit! This comes right on time

7. blkathena says:

Thanks for this! Love Fashion Bomb!

8. Claire says:

@K The actual blue dress is from Dorothy Perkins, not sure why it’s not showing up. It’s a steal at $69 :

9. Love says:

I just bought the Chole Paraty yesterday!!! I’m in love with my bag :)

10. kay says:

Im working with organizing the event, you will be in line for 6 hours, easily. DO NOT wear high heels, you will hate yourself.

11. carmen says:

okay this post had me worried about my reading comprehension ability…lol… I love the blue peplum, it’s perfect for work…but Dorothy has 3 versions of the dress right ?? I was trying to buy it but I kept flipping back saying that’s not the right picture… love the red skater dress too…perfect for parties

12. Ree says:

The flats are a better option your going to have to do alot of walking and might have to be shuttled into uptown from other locations…I cannot wait these are some good ideas. Still trying to figure out what Im wearing!!! #excited

13. binks says:

Cute looks! Get out and vote people let’s continue to spread the message!

14. Claire says:

I switched up the first collage to include the more reasonable shoe. x

15. Taylormay says:

I love dorothy perkins dresses but whenever i go to buy something the website always messes up! oh well! :(

16. K Diana says:

I love FBD! I was just thinking “hmm… I wonder what Claire would suggest for DNC”.

But honestly if the attendee is only attending the speech(w/community access) she may want to go with a more comfortable style than #1. She WILL be standing and waiting ALL day. :)