August 28th, 2012
Celebrity Style, Fashion Bomb 101, Winter Wardrobe
Fashion Bomb 101: Ten Fall And Winter Basics

Savannah writes, “I have recently moved to upstate New York from the U.S. Virgin Islands to attend college. I am already freezing my butt off, for I’ve been experiencing 64 degree days in August. I honestly don’t know how I’ll be able to survive in January! So I was wondering if you would be able to school an island girl on fashionable winter staples that will keep me toasty while not putting too much of a dent in my already lacking student bank account.” Jade adds, “I’m moving to the Big Apple for grad school and I’m not sure of what to pack! I’ve never been to NYC in the fall or winter and don’t know how you guys dress for the weather. From what I heard, you guys whip out warmer clothes in September and have some of the most craziest coldest winters ever. I’m from VA and I’m used to just throwing on a scarf and a jacket when it gets cool (cool, not cold!)! What am I going to do? Will I have to sacrifice style for warmth?”

Ladies, I know your plight all too well! Moving from sunny Atlanta to cold Boston for college presented a similar shift in wardrobe. Below, find all you need to transition to fall (and winter) with ease:
1. A Leather Jacket:

Pop a chic leather creation over your summer perfect tanks and jeans for a fall perfect look. It’s heavy enough to battle the chill, yet light enough to not overwhelm. I’d invest in a black asymmetrical beaut that you can hold on to for years to come.

2. Dark Denim:

Dark jeans are supremely slimming and can work no matter the weather. Have a few silhouettes on tap, including skinny, trouser style, and bootcut, along with a few distressed options for fun.

3. Gorgeous sweaters

Though I’m a huge fan of cashmere, anything wool or in a heavy weight will work wonders during cooler months. Layer yours under leather jackets and over jeans, and pop it under a coat when temperatures truly drop south.

4. Sweater Dresses

Keep the sweater theme going with dress creations in warm knits. Rock ‘em with a pair of opaque tights and boots for added cozy chic.

5. Layering Pieces: Tees, Button Downs, and Thin Knits

Retaining warmth is all about layering, so make sure your bases are covered with long sleeves t’s and button downs in white, gray, or black.

6. Boots

In addition to your run of the mill pumps, add a few boot styles to your arsenal. I’d go for a pair of ankle booties, wedges, knee high, and over the knee.

7. Fall/Winter Headgear

I’m personally a fan of berets, but you can cling to Fedoras, knit hats, or turbans come fall. Just stick to something that goes with your personality, and marries fashion with function.

8. Skirts

Midi length skirts are on trend this season, though you can rock with everything from pencil to A-line to peplum with ease.

9. Wool Pants

Cling to trousers in neutrals, and add punch with bold pieces in bright red or orange.

10. Stand out Coats

The icing on any chic cake is a great coat. Aside from getting your typical black wool offerings, have a bit of fun with a funky coat in houndstooth or leopard print.

I didn’t include product suggestions as this is an evergreen story that you can hopefully reference for years to come. Take this guide with you and get to shopping on your own. You’re sure to be fall ready and fabulous.
For tips on Fall 2012 Trends, visit this piece and stay tuned for more fall specific shopping pieces in the future.
Did we miss anything?
Smootches!

Posted In
12 comments

12 Responses to “Fashion Bomb 101: Ten Fall And Winter Basics”

1. Guest says:

This was by far the best post I have ever read on the FBD! Such great ideas and not those suggestions that link $2,000 shirts and $4000 shoes. Claire your audience aren’t full of the big spenders you believe them to be. I’m an graduate degree educated, employed and have no dependents and I’m not entertaining a $2000 shoe, nor a $1000 pair of slacks.

2. Lanese Dapper says:

This was by far the best post I have ever read on the FBD! Such great ideas and not those suggestions that link $2,000 shirts and $4000 shoes. Claire your audience aren’t full of the big spenders you believe them to be. I’m graduate degree educated, employed and have no dependents and I’m not entertaining a $2000 shoe, nor a $1000 pair of slacks.
    Ever heard of The Loft, Cache, Arden B.

3. MagnoliaKay says:

Kelly Rowland eyebrows are to die for!!! where do i get leather pants for girls with big butt?

4. Andrea C says:

Gloves and scarfs!!! She is defentley going to need a nice pair of leather gloves with lining, as well as variety of cotton ones for when it is not as cold or snowing. She will also need scarfs both heavy and light. With each of these items she can add color and texture to her wardrobe and she is able to transform her outerwear from day to night.

5. Lanese Dapper says:

Boohoo has some faux leather pants for under $50.00

6. binks says:

Agreed with not forgetting the rest of the fall/winter
    accessories! Simple cotton/leather gloves and simple rich colored scarves are a go
    too. I say skip over the cutesy scarves/gloves until you have staple pairs of
    these items.

7. Raven says:

Love and agree with this post. I think the idea is that you look at this list and select similar items that fit into your style and also your budget. Just inspiration. I’m also a huge fan of chunky infinity scarves and corduroy skinnies for fall and winter.

8. ISB23 says:

Thank you! I thought I was the only one thinking this…

9. Savannah says:

Thank you so much Claire! This was very informative and extremely helpful. And it made my day!

10. It really is a great idea .Thanks a lot for your energy to have had these things together on this blog . John and i also very much prized your knowledge through your own articles in certain things .

11. Rio says:

This has become my ‘go-to’ article for buying winter accessories. Similarly, I am from the Caribbean but now living in a temperate country. At first, I found it difficult to stay warm because I usually got the layering aspects wrong! Thanks Claire for these life saving suggestions. Bless