August 27th, 2012
Style Inspiration, What to Wear
Style Inspiration: What to Wear to a Football Game (Wife Edition)
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

Felicia writes, My name is Felicia and I have a huge dilemma! I’m 22-years-old and my boyfriend has his first D1 football game of the season coming up. I have no clue what to wear, Please Help!!”

Hey, girl! We recently did a “What to Wear to Football Games” style inspiration (more geared towards the college set), but decided your inquiry was a wee bit different. Your boo is a participating athlete and you’re his lady. So let’s keep it real, you have to be on point because eyes will be on you.  In a recent New York Magazine article based on the lives of real Basketball wives, Jennifer Williams was quoted saying, “Everyone at games is looking at you to see what you’re wearing. You walk into the arena, and people know who you are and who you’re with. The wives are looking.” That means they’re looking for names and luxury items. Although this isn’t basketball, and you’re not a wife just yet, the theory still somewhat applies.

Claire kicked off the first look, saying, “If I were a football wife, I’d want to marry casual and chic by mixing a few splurgeworthy pieces with sporty kicks. Slip on a pair of super chic Giuseppe Zanotti wedge sneakers (or go for a hot wedge, like these by Alain Quilici, if you want to be more dressed up.”

“Since it’s still hot out, opt for a sleeveless or short sleeved top, made more alluring with an asymmetrical hem and a collar necklace. Show you’re hip to the trends with a pair of leather pants, and finish your look off with a statement Givenchy bag and a blood red manicure.”

Next, Claire writes, “This looks hinges on a lovely Helmut Lang draped leather jacket, muted by a simple v-neck t-shirt and slimming skinny jeans in a dark wash.”

Add a bit of spunk with a pair of Ash Wedge Shoes in red, then have fun with a few key accessories–Why not slip on a Hermès cuff, YSL necklace, or a Céline bag?”

The next goes with all leather everything, which is very on trend for fall.

There’s something about all leather that says “effortless cool”. Try aiming for a leather jacket that fits you perfectly. I’m particularly digging the zipper detail on this one from J Brand. Pair it with leather leggings and a white t-shirt. A pair of Air Jordan 3′s and red lips finishes this look right.

Although football season runs into the cooler months, you can take advantage of what’s left of the warmth with this final look:

I am really digging leather at the moment. I’ve had my eye on this Alice+Olivia burnt orange skirt for awhile. The skirt has the right amount of edge mixed with femininity especially when paired with this black beaded t-shirt from Lanvin. I gave you a choice of black peep toe ankle strap pumps (if you’re hitting after parties), and cute leopard print flats.

Need more inspiration? Here are a few stylish ladies supporting their men at sporting events.

There you have it, Felicia. I hope this helps!
~Cliché
*This look is more geared towards professional football wives. For college style inspiration, visit our post, What to Wear to Football Games and After Parties.

33 Responses to “Style Inspiration: What to Wear to a Football Game (Wife Edition)”

1. jbrizzy says:

Love Love Love these looks Cliche. The feminine tomboy look is very cute

2. Who is the football wife? These seem to be over the top for college football games. But those GZ wedge sneakers need to be in my life. All the looks are super cute.

3. Mikele (Oakland Girl) says:

Lol @ bringing in the old Kim pic.

4. Mimi says:

This is college. Girl if you don’t throw on his jersey or school’s tshirt, cute skinnies, and a pair of sneakers. i’m not here for this “snag a baller” grooming.

5. I love the last three looks. The first one just isnt me. Really love the second look. Its the best of all of them.

6. DeeDee says:

Love this post!

7. binks says:

Love looks 1-3, I agree with marrying causal and chic because nothing I side eye more are women being overly dress for a sporting event because it looks crazy most times because it seems you are trying to hard. Yeah, you want to look cute but keep in mind the venue and the occassion.

8. Dana Dane says:

Omg that Helmut Lang Jacket is killing the game and the YSL necklace is my second favorite. I love everything above except for the Kim K and Bush pic; it’s dated.

9. TheFav1 says:

These looks are the truth!!!! I will be wearing these to my boyfriends games! He is the assistant coach at a D1 school and playing at the Barclay Center in November! I can’t wait! Thanks for this post :)

10. Shelly H says:

I am confused also. I read nothing of a wife, but of a girlfriend. And to add to that, she is going to a COLLEGE game, not a professional on. Unless she is sitting in the box somewhere with some rich people, or going to an HBCU football game/ homecoming right afterward, I would not wear any of these looks. They are perfect for the NFL, NBA, etc., but not for a college game. Having graduated from a Division 1 school in the ACC, and being an avid college football fan altogether, you will look silly all dressed up. Wear some jeans (or some cute cut-offs), some nice sandals, and the schools colors (preferably in a shirt with school logo/mascot on it). And if you REALLY want to support your boo, wear his jersey number (if it’s available). Sorry for the long post, but I just don’t want you to be overdressed. Enjoy the game!

11. csulmers says:

Ok, I’m not much of a sports person (I must admit) and probably should’ve looked up D1 before launching into these looks. Didn’t realize this was college and not pro. That said, since when is a leather jacket, t-shirt, and jeans excessively dressed up? We’re not telling them to wear spiked stilettos but wedge sneakers…! Only one look could be considered super duper dressy. But hey. Agree to disagree.

12. andie says:

I disagree you can wear these looks to a college game. I would say though that you should wear the school colors. And this post came just in time as I have a game to go to this weekend!

13. csulmers says:

PS, If you’re younger, please reference our first post about What to Wear to Football Games:

If you’re older (i.e. a wife), these are more for you. X

14. Fiona says:

i love all of these styling ideas! especially the leather pants

15. hahahahaha says:

Just wear the school colors like the rest of the student section you’ll be sitting in.

16. Joanna says:

Love the second and third outfits!!!

17. Michelle says:

ummm this is college not professional sporting…these looks make no sense…its football season, she will most likely be sitting OUTSIDE as most college stadiums do not have covering…none of these looks make sense except for MAYBE the outfit with the jordans, and even then leather jeans at a september football game seems a little over the top, and PLEATHER anything may be more comfortable but TOTALLY out of the question….i think this post needs some editting lol

18. Michelle says:

and @Mimi….preach “snag a baller” is a new fashion mantra, that or “baller wives chic” its a joke…

19. peplum lover says:

i lurrv those ash bowie wedge sneakers!
    i cant find them around in london yet !! but i will purchase them
    the belle noel necklace and the ysl necklace are dope too
    i dont think you have to go ALL out
    but u do have to step ure game up!! and i love the leather pant look to!

20. lolodoll says:

I agree with Shelly and most of the other posters as well. Most of these looks are too much for a college football game. I went to a D1 school and can say outside of the rich wives sitting up in the sky boxes, you’d get some crazy looks; and if it’s a PWI school such as the one I attended, you’ll definitely feel out of place over dressed. We’re usually serious about our football so expect lots of jumping, drunk folks sitting around you, etc. Would think you’d want to be as comfortable as possible and some of those looks are the exact opposite. Those wedges in the first look are a twisted ankle waiting to happen.

21. Kia says:

Funny, I totally disagree with dressing down because it’s “only college” maybe because I attended a very fashion forward school. Either way, I would always dress up for school sporting events and I was still able to enjoy myself and cheer for the team. If that happens to be your personal style then go with it.

22. Brittany says:

All this leather and fall gear in the summer is really annoying and looks mad uncomfortable. What ever happened to dressing in season?

23. yusufwifee says:

omg…what has happened to my blog. I have to log in each time I leave a comment :-(

24. Kay ny/atl says:

I attended an HBCU and @kia what I consider a very fashion forward school. We took pride in having ourselves put together. Part of fashion is being practical and fitting the setting. Yea get dressed up if you would like but keep in mind the spilled drinks on the ground destroying these expensive heels that require the terrible usage of a refund check ($$$) of the average college student to buy. You CAN be dressed up in his jersey, skinnys,skirt, another shirt, sneakers, etc. options are endless when you have fun with your hair and accessories. Be comfortable and ready to run up to your babe when he wins vs. him hearing thar you are getting nursed for falling out in the stands because of the heels. I’m 22 and just don’t want this girl be the one doing the most. One of the sexiest things you can do ( for yourself and him) is to not LOOK like you tried so hard. If you are at a PWI game I have experienced that being more relaxed is best.

25. At a college football game and most sporting events, everyone is in team colors. I frankly think Lala and ‘dem’ overdress for sporting venues but basketball is quite different from football. It doesn’t seem like football wives do all of that extra. Remember Jessica Simpson just wore a pink Dallas Cowboys Jersey with Romo’s number on it when they dated. So a jersey with a skirt,etc. is cute but like everyone says, she is going to be in the stands surrounded by drunk college students. Just make sure your makeup and hair are on point and you should be fine.

26. kantessab says:

I love that white blouse with the black stars and the colorblock guiseppe’s…OMG!!

27. Alexis says:

I actually was going to send this inquery in bc I’m dating someone on the Saints and when I saw this I bust out laughing… First off the girl that sent the inquiry was 22 and she was “dating” the guy that plays in college ball. She probably can’t afford this stuff and it’s hot until around October in most places. I showed the guy I’m dating and he was like if you came to my game dressed like that I would disowe you. Also football is a lot different than basketball. You have to walk far and you’re outside a lot of times wife or not. Football should be cute and fun, but more relaxed. Basketball you can wear the more flashy stuff bc you’re seen a lot more. I think you may want to re-do this post…

28. I will amit its cute but my bf playing and been going to his games since 2008 and found out dressing like that means something else . Lol I love your site .

29. T-fal says:

I actually submitted the request for the first “what to wear to football games” post; maybe it’s just a southern region thing but I’m 34 and it’s typical to be an avid college and pro football fan in your 30s, 40s, 50s, +. I was looking for something a bit more sophisticated in the 1st post, so I appreciate this post. While the third look is dressy, wedge sneakers are totally ok to a game and inspired me. I may cop the Rebecca Taylor leopard wedges!

30. Здрямочки. У меня есть проблема
    Как восстановить волосы после осветления?

31. I all the time used to read article in news papers but now as
    I am a user of net so from now I am using net for posts, thanks to web.

32. Hi, i think that i saw you visited my web site so i came to “return the favor”.I am attempting to find things to improve
    my website!I suppose its ok to use a few of your ideas!!

33. Everyone loves what you guys are usually up too. This sort of clever work