August 17th, 2012
Style Inspiration, What to Wear, Work Wardrobe
Style Inspiration: What to Wear to Work (Curvy Chick Edition)
By Cliche

Faith writes, “I perused over the complete what to wear work wardrobe section before decided to send this Message.I work in Retail Fashion as a Regional Manager. I am having problems creating a work wardrobe that is professional but fashion forward. I have all work wardrobe basics but I always look too conservative. Question: updating a work Wardrobe for a Retail Manager.My company is a High Street Fashion Retailer.”

Hey, Faith! I noticed that in a follow up e-mail you stated that you’re big busted and curvy. Naturally, you want to dress to accomodate your figure. Unsure? Claire gave some fantastic tips here.

Considering the fact that these looks are for work, you want to make sure you’re not out there looking scandalous. First, I think it is important to stress being fitted for a bra. This will make all the difference. Trust me. Also, you want to be mindful of the cut of your top. Stay away from anything with a low cut.

For this first look I chose, a vibrant Michael Kors sheath dress.

A couple of things to note from this dress is the neckline and the cinched in waist. When you wear shapeless garments, they can make you appear to be larger than you are. I also included a pair of leopard print pumps. These uplift the dress, while adding a bit of fun. I specifically chose these earrings because I felt it was a nice way to incorporate some edge.

Next up, I dabbled in darker hues (black is always slimming).

The simplicity of this black 3/4 sleeve dress makes it a classic beauty, complete with a flirty frill hem. A pair of olive green peep toe pumps like these Alexander Queens complement the green studded sequin satchel. To prevent this look from being too dark, wear go for a soft lip.

For look 3 I went for a yellow peplum top and black and white paisley trousers.

Note that yet again it is important to nip in your waist. A round toe platform shoe will set this off, while paired with matching black accessories. For makeup, I would go for a neutral lip, and go for purple color on the eyes (nothing too heavy or dark for work.)

There you go!

~Cliché

20 Responses to “Style Inspiration: What to Wear to Work (Curvy Chick Edition)”

1. jbrizzy says:

Look number 1 all the way all day

2. Brittany says:

I don’t think those necklines are the best for someone with large breasts. I think v-necks with a camisole underneath work better.

LOVE look #3!

4. I’m kind of confused. While I like looks 1 and 2, I wouldn’t expect anyone who works in high street retail to wear that to work unless it’s at the corporate level. Those look more like options for women who work at Neiman Marcus or Saks. Look number 3 is a yes all the way.

5. Donna says:

@Brittany- I agree. Anything with a high neckline or even a boat neckline makes the breasts look larger and make us busty girls look larger than we actually are…Scoops or v-necks are much more flattering.

LOL @ the ladies that big breasted women are limited to v-necks and camisoles. This gorgeous gal comes to mind http://www.gabifresh.com/2012/05/silver-spring.html. She certainly doesn’t limit herself.

7. Tiffany says:

I think the looks were great. FYI guys: many retail managers (especially at a regional manager level) are usually encouraged to wear more corportate-esque attire.

8. binks says:

I like all the looks but for me number 1 seems more of a better fit for this inqury. It just screams coporate because you can’t go wrong with a shift dress in general that shape can compliment a lot of women with big boobs too.

9. Brittany says:

@Anonymous. I never said women with larger breasts couldn’t wear high necklines. I’m simply saying that I think v-necks work better for us. Also I’m extremely familiar with Gabi and her blog. I’ve seen the post you linked to and I like that outfit, but there is some pulling and spillage going on for Gabi under that top.

10. T-fal says:

I’m with Brittany & Donna – it’s not that us big busted gals can’t wear high necklines, they’re just harder to pull off because the fit has to be precise. No shade to Gabi but that link is an example of hoe V necks are typically more flattering.

11. MsTicaD says:

Ditto on the v-neck/ deep scoop thing for me! FAR more flattering.

12. MsTicaD says:

**add-on** Must say though.. These are pretty inspirations AND it is nice to see more options sleeves!

13. TaTa says:

@claire if you haven’t did it before you should do a post on foundation aka shape wear. Many young women think its just for older women.

14. 11 Reasons says:

I think you all missed the point of the Gabi link. Her spillage has NOTHING TO do with the top and EVERYTHING to do with her bra. Even if she would have worn a “vneck and cami” she would have had the spillage. I, personally, wear a 38DDD and dont particularly care for the “vneck and cami” trend. I have the right bra, so most necklines are flattering.

15. krystel says:

Loving 1 and 2 and i like 3 but am not sure its would be appropriate for my corporate office.

16. K Diana says:

I like looks 1 and 2. I own the Steve Madden pumps in the first look and I definitely wouldn’t wear them to work. Actually I couldn’t imagine wearing anything (shoes especially) from Betsy Johnson or Bebe to work. But this lady works in Retail Fashion so I imagine there are a different set of rules.

17. iHeartKeya says:

I like all 3 looks but look 3 is my personal fave

18. D says:

Cliche I liked all of your looks- this post is wonderful. I totally agree with your advice here! I am 5 ft even (the bane of my existence) and a size 12 on a good day and 14.. : (.. when I’m misbehaving! AND I HAVE WON THE BEST DRESSED AWARD THREE YEARS IN A ROW AT MY JOB!! (love serving it to the “skinny chicks” LOL!) I also prefer to wear a higher neckline as opposed to a “v” as sometimes the v is positioned too low- I’m a professional and would prefer for people to listen to me speak not look at my chest (38DD sighhhhhhh)in meetings. It also has the effect in my opinion of looking more “fashion forward” and less “sexy secretary” (not that that doesn’t have its place!) If you bigger beauties like to shop in London then check out COS; it is the upscale, big sister to H&M…I can’t wait until they bring it online so I can shop from my home country instead of waiting once a year to fly there and shop. They have larger sizes in modern, fresh clothes that don’t cost an arm and a leg and are perfect if you are a big girl that wants to wear more modern looks but can’t fit in the tiny sizes the more talented designers serve up! Most of the necklines are either straight across or cut high- everything is in the cut and tailoring which is essential for larger girls who want to appear first rate!

19. lolodoll11 says:

#1 is more of my go to for work. Love it. As someone a little bug busted as well, I live be sheath and wrap dresses (i.e., DVF, Mill, Tory Burch). Not sure about #3 though but I guess it’s based on whether she’s working in corp HQs or in some sort of a regional satellite office. Working in corporate, I’d likely give someone the side eye for wearing something like that.

20. Brittany says:

11 Reasons, the spillage going on under Gabi’s top may be a bra issue, but the pulling going on with her shirt is completely a shirt issue.