August 16th, 2012
Fashion Week, Style Inspiration, What to Wear
Style Inspiration: What to Wear to New York Fashion Week

New York Fashion Week is right around the corner, and fittingly, wardrobe queries are rolling in!
Brittany writes, “I just scored tickets to the Tracy Reese show during New York Fashion Week! I have never attended NYFW and want to wear something with flair while being chic and feminine – just like Tracy Reese’s designs. I look forward to seeing your fabulous suggestions!”
Congrats, Brittany! New York Fashion Week is an exciting time, and seeing a show is an adrenaline rush. When you’re in the tents you want to stand out, but look polished, sophisticated, and fashion forward.

Look 1 kicks off with a printed button down by Emma Cook, anchored by a super chic leather mini skirt. Add a dash of fun with a pair of Christian Louboutin Lipsinka Python Pumps, but be sure to carry flats–at some point your feet will hurt!

Complete your look with a chunky chain, light blocking sunglasses, and a show stopping statement bag. Céline will do.

Get the Emma Cook shirt here.

Look 2 is chock full of stylista must haves including a Mary Katrantzou dress and Nicholas Kirkwood x Erdem architectural heels:

Look smart with cat eye readers, and finish your look with a statement bag and a dash of red lipstick:

Tracy Reese is known for her love of florals and feminine cuts, so the third look incorporates a flower infused crepe de chine dress by Tibi.

Keep things interesting with a pair of zebra rockstud Valentino sandals, and complete with a Dolce & Gabbana bag.

Get the Tibi dress here.
The last look plays with a back to school theme with 3.1 Phillip Lim’s trendy pop art inspired sweater.

Accent with a leather mini, black booties, and a smart Proenza Schouler PS1 Satchel:

The pieces above are super pricey, and again, they’re meant to inspire. The only thing to remember with Fashion Week is to wear what makes you feel comfortable and sophisticated–dresses always work, and black on black is always chic. If you’re seeking to stand out, go for bold colors and patterns. And a bad shoe and bag never hurt anyone (but carry flats!!).
For more inspiration, take a look at these snaps of Fashion Week street style:

And also reminisce on our posts, What to Wear to Full Figured Fashion Week, and Fashion Week 101: All You Need to Know about New York Fashion Week.
*Also, thanks to a suggestion by reader Joy I’m going to add a What to Wear tab to the top of the site with various topics, so you can find archived Style Inspirations a lot easier. Stay tuned!

33 Responses to “Style Inspiration: What to Wear to New York Fashion Week”

1. Dionne says:

In 3>>> with that 1st look! Can’t wait for NYFW

2. jbrizzy says:

I absolutly love the first and third look, I live for pink, and Claire girl, how much do you make because so stay fly to the TEE 24/7 , love them dreads

3. Love each and every one of these looks! Fabulous job Claire.

4. LJF67 says:

Agree, looks 1 & 3 hit it out of the park.

5. lolodoll11 says:

Love 1 and 4; 4 especially because I have the exact same PS bag. #2 – I think the shoes are a little too busy and matchy matchy for an already busy dress. Maybe something a bit more plain. Also not feeling the shoe selection in #3. Great job overall Claire. Loving your leopard look in this post. Werk!

6. Dobe says:

Great picks! Enjoy the show, Brittany!

7. Chimee says:

Love this post. I will be attending NYFW for the first time ever! Super excited however I only have tickets to one show. Can someone please tell me are there any other things I can enjoy since tickets to shows are invite only.

8. Jennifer says:

My heart beats for look 1. How breathtaking!

9. binks says:

My faves are 1 and 2 and the street styles are cute! Great suggestions.

LOVE all of these suggestions Claire, especially the last look!

11. LawyerChic says:

Yes 1 is a winner. I’m determined to find a leather pleated mini skirt.

12. Looks 1, 2 and 3 are killer!

13. dyshaun says:

#4 although you might be one of the many wearing that sweater. Love it!

14. pyt says:

Anyone know how to get tics to ANY show? We are coming from sc and would luv to get a score like THAT. And if we cant does anyone know where the best parties will be? This is our 2nd year back and wewant to do it up this time! I know claire will post the top spots as we get closer! Im so super excited!!

15. NikkiBellaRay says:

Number 2 brought beauty tears to my eyes, I beyond love it!

16. SLIMB says:

Thankkk you for this post, this will be my first year as well. & I’m bummed about what to wear… this should help me a little bit.

@pyt I believe all the shows are invite only.

Confused, why would she wear anything to a Tracy Reese fashion show other than Tracy Resse ?

18. Ashley says:

I absolutely loved all the looks!

19. Ashleyis2pretty says:

Fab ALL 4 looks!!!!

20. Char says:

Love the looks but I am curious – are you or are you not supposed to wear the designer to their show? I’m not in the fashion industry but inquiring minds want to know!

21. Autumn says:

Loooovvveee

22. Claire says:

@Chimee Though shows are invite only, it’s always fun to linger in the tents after a show. There are always tons of fashionable people around and sometimes you can wait in standing room for the following show. During my first fashion week, I filled empty time with taking street style and popping by different booths in the atrium.

@PYT Shows are invite only, unfortunately. Sometimes you can find other shows out side of Lincoln center with a more lenient entrance policy. I’ll be throwing a party, though, if you need somewhere to chill for a nighttime fete!

And @Anonymous you don’t necessarily have to wear the designer to the designer’s show. It’s a nice touch, but not necessary. And usually there are of course several different shows during the day, so unless you change for each show, you can’t hit them all. Be inspired, wear what you like, and show out!

23. Dee says:

At cLAIRE WHERE WILL U B FOR FASHION NIGHT OUT NEED TO KNOW HOT SPOTS I FOUND OUT ABOUT TWO DVF N LORD N TAYLOR’S N ALSO WHAT ABOUT AFTER PARTIES

24. Yevette says:

I just want to know how you get tickets to FW. That’s one event I always wished I could attend!

25. Taj says:

Great post and number one is so pretty that is definitely my style. Claire when will you be throwin your party? I want to come from Maryland for that….

26. FiFi says:

Great job Claire, your the best! I love those Marc Jacob disc earrings, i just ordered a pair yesterday

27. Dom says:

Wait, Claire you’re throwing a party? Can you be sure to give plenty of notice? I live in DC but I’d travel for that!

28. Cathy says:

I LOVE the leather pleated shirt…too adorable. But I really like the outfit the young lady is wearing in photo standing next to the scooter and the pink with black lace on the other young lady…..TOO CUTE!!!

29. Enneirda07 says:

Love the first and the third looks!!!

30. Brittany says:

Thanks Claire!!! I literally CANNOT believe how quickly you responded to my request and how ON POINT your suggestions are! But then again, you are a Fashion Week maven so I expected nothing less :) I actually will be attending the Tracy Reese, Carlos Miele and Nicole Miller fashion shows (thanks to a friend that does production for NYFW) so I can put all of these looks to good use! Hopefully I’ll see you at Lincoln Center!

31. Brittany says:

Thanks Claire!!! I literally cannot believe how quickly you responded to my request and how ON POINT your suggestions are! But then again, you’re a Fashion Week maven so I expected no less :) I’ll actually be attending the Tracy Reese, Carlos Miele, and Nicole Miller shows (thanks to a friend who does production for NYFW) so I can put all of the looks to good use. Hopefully I’ll see you in or around Lincoln Center so that I can thank you in person!

32. iHeartKeya says:

I would actually wear all 4 of these outfits. So cute!