August 15th, 2012
Fashion, Party, Style Inspiration
Style Inspiration: What to Wear to an Old School Reggae Party
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

Hey Bombers and Bombshells!

It’s been a minute since I’ve done a Style Inspiration, but Tweety wrote in with a request and I had to hook my girl up. She writes,“Hi, love your blog! Can you give me some ideas on what I can wear to an old school reggae party.  Thanks.”

Full disclosure: I love to get down to island music. I spent my semester abroad in college getting my life in noted Kingston dancehalls like Asylum and Quad. If I know I’m going to be dancing the night away, I always take care to dress accordingly. At a reggae concert (even an old school one), you’re bound to work up a sweat shaking your tushie. These days, I’m into the tomboy look. I chose this Twelfth Street by Cynthia Vincent romper (Rosci Diaz and Rihanna both wore the maxi dress version), adding some masculine flare with a very stylish Kenzo fitted (I want!), and on-trend Marc Jacobs sneaker wedges.

Carry your essentials in a small wristlet clutch, give your look and edge with a cool arm band and tough girl earrings.

Next up, I chose this Topshop studded bralet, and an easy, breezy maxi to keep you cool. Throw on a pair of chic sandals, and accessorize with a fedora, cute cuffs, and a set of bangin’ earrings.

A Ruby Woo lip is always a good look, so slap some on as you wine the night away!

For the last look, I combined ultrafeminine sensibilities with urban glamour. I went for this Topshop swan print cutout dress I’ve been eyeing, and added some edge with an event appropriate “Bad Gal” knuckle ring from Patricia Field and sparkly doorknocker earrings.

I added some color with a red court shoe from Zara (if you’re about that dancing in heels life) and a yellow shoulder bag from Brahmin. If you’re not into heels, take a cue from Rihanna or Rita Ora and pair your dress with a chic sneaker wedge.

And there you have it!
What do you think, would you wear any of the above?

~Jihan

18 Responses to “Style Inspiration: What to Wear to an Old School Reggae Party”

1. Indigo says:

Who’s having an Old School Reggae party? lol I was just listening to some Buju and Super Cat.

2. CarribbeanQueen says:

idk if i agree with these clothing choices.. the accessories (aside from the sneaker wedges) are on the mark though

3. Bre Bre says:

I like I like! All three are cute. Love the 2nd and 3rd. I would do the second. The long skirt def says Reggae party!

4. Dom says:

Look 2 is super cute. I really hate the wedge sneaker look though.

Love all these, especially the 2nd one!!! Great work!

6. Marthe says:

ohhhhhhh yes Jihan! thankyou gyal! I sent the same request a week ago, and I’m so happy I get my answer in some kind of way (so thankyou too, Tweety!). Loving the looks, they’re really fun, even though I don’t see myself wining in that maxi-skirt, well, I’m more of a dancehall type, I guess. I’m definitly taking note from all these looks, thanks again!

7. binks says:

Cute! I love 2

8. Kitty B. says:

As a person who throws and attends reggae parties constantly…look 1 and 2 are a go! not so sure about 3….

9. Natasha says:

None of the fits have a something to wave? (kisses teeth) Imagine, a Hermes ‘rag’?! Love the first outfit despite the shoes and the BadGal ring is a keeper. #JAallday

10. coco says:

I love the first 3 looks! Where can I find the shoes?

11. Jihan I love your urban flavor, it’s so URBAN!

12. Mamasay says:

Dope combos, Jihan…especially the first. Now I want a Kenzo cap.

13. 5ucTXHunny says:

so cute, I LOVE SNEAKER WEDGES!!!

14. Kairangi says:

Love the 2nd look!

15. islandgirl says:

Idk im Jamaican n I would not wear any of those to a old school party, I go to mellow vibes & other old school party I dress in current trend but keep the foot wear flat if I plan to dance & gwan bad

16. Kizzy says:

@islandgirl lol… I agree! I’m also Jamaican and would not be caught dead in any of these outfits. The best advice is to wear something comfortable. If you’re not comfortable, you can’t dance. If you must seek an outfit, watch Rihanna’s rude boy video for inspiration.

17. Ariel M. says:

I love all three of these outfits!!! I would wear all of them and I love the sneaker wedges its something different and new