August 14th, 2012
Accessories, Celebrity Style, Fashion Discussion
Hot! or Hmm…: Big, Bold Earrings

Last week, Beyonce popped by the UN in a Balmain tuxedo blazer, white top, and large architectural gold earrings.

While the consummate entertainer’s Texas sized earrings are part of her signature off stage style, it seems more and more women are adopting a similar ‘bigger is better’ accessories credo. You may recall when Basketball Wives Evelyn Lozada and Jennifer Williams started rocking spiked, multi balled hoops on TV, undoubtedly looking to add some pizzazz to their cropped shots during solo interviews:

What began as simple oversized hoops has blossomed into women wearing shoulder skimming, spiked, studded creations in various colors and incarnations.

When will it end?

Look-at-me ear accents are a great way to make a statement and uplift your look. But at what point are they tacky? And how big is too big?
What do you think? Love ‘em? Hate ‘em?

67 Responses to “Hot! or Hmm…: Big, Bold Earrings”

1. bella says:

i love big earrings. always have. those poparazzi earrings got played out QUICK but designers like Melody Ehsani keep big earrings fresh and fun.

2. J says:

It depends. I don’t care for the big, flat, super floppy ones. A nice over-sized hoop earring is classic urbanista wear but these others just look very stripper-esque IMO.

3. Naynay says:

LOVE ‘EM!!!!!!!!

4. jumelle12 says:

I love big tasteful earrings- have always been a fan- especially since I rock a cropped hair cut- Hoops are my favorite, but lately I’ve been liking the geometrically shaped earrings-

I can tell you that I LOATHE those cheap BBW earrings that have unfortunately become a trend amongst most women- they look like an abacus- very tacky and cheap! (for those of you that don’t remember, the counting apparatus with the beads that used to be used in math classes)

5. Nicole O. says:

I’m all for statement earrings, but I’ve never been a fan of the BBW inspired earrings. The over-saturation doesn’t help either.

However, one person whose ear candy game I admire is Beyonce. She pulls it of very well.

6. DivaFabulosa says:

I like large earring depending on the outfit I’m wearing them with. They do cross a fine line with ratchet. Those earrings Beyonce is wearing is ugly. It looks like there is a golden tumor growing on the side of her head.

7. DannielleS says:

Love big earrings when tastefully done. With that said, Vh1 reality star earrings are always tacky and too much!

Bey’s earrings are generally good

8. Tricia says:

i like SOME big earrings but not with every damn outfit. they aren’t an everyday thing.

sidenote: i have no idea who most of these women^^^are that you posted but the thing i noticed more than the earrings is the caked on warpaint they are all rocking. it’s damn near scary in some cases. theres nothing worse than women of a ‘certain’ age desperately trying to recapture their youth.

9. I love big earrings as long as they’re not heavy. The BBW earrings are definitely over done, you can find them at every street corner. I’m also over the spikes and lightening bolts. Its best to keep it fun and fresh. Once it become too much of a trend it’s time to move on. It’s funny that this topic comes up because I absolutely hate Andrea’s earring and necklace choices on Hollywood Ex’s. They never complement each other and are always too big. Rashida is another one who loves to over-accessorize. She has cute stuff, but she doesn’t have to pile it all on.

LOL @ hmmm, rachet and that pic of Mama Dee’s rachet ass!

10. Apple says:

#thingshoodboogersweraregularly

11. LawyerChic says:

I love big bold earrings, but like anything else there’s a time, place, and way to wear everything. I do like some of the Poparazzi style earrings. A big hoop with a little bling is easy to throw on to jazz up a simple outfit. I will say that I cannot stand someone who has a BOLD EARRINGS, A BOLD NECKLACE, BOLD RINGS, and BOLD BRACELETS! If I do a big earring everything else is pretty simple.

12. LawyerChic says:

On another note…I am concerned about what kind of effect some of these earrings will have on our ears. Seeing older women with stretched out earlobes makes my skin crawl!

I don’t mind big lightweight hoop earrings at times, but the monumental shapes and trendy pieces (like lightning bolts) are too much for my taste, and just look “heavy” to me #poorearlobes. lol.

14. Claire says:

@Tricia A lot of the women above are characters/cast mates on several horrible VH1 shows I love to watch (Basketball Wives, Love and Hip Hop Atlanta, and Hollywood Exes). And @Sun.Kissed we are HERE, I always want to yell at Andrea to take one thing off! I think my annoyance with her accessories choices inspired this post. I want her to wear a stud. Please.

15. Likkle Miss says:

Notice all the women wearing these dreadful earrings are reality “stars.” Bey is the only legitimate celeb up there.

16. Cherie says:

I love big ear candy. I have learned that I have to be very selective with what I wear my earrings with.

17. Siyam says:

I think if you wear just the statement earrings with a tank and some jeans or a long maxi dress it’s cool, like HeadBangers or pieces by Melody Ehsani. It’s when you rock them with a loud print, a loud clutch and a loud mouth that the above mentioned accessory becomes ratchet.

18. tasha says:

I am not a big earring type girl at all. Simple studs will do it. I actually think its actually gaudy but to each its own.

19. LaTasha says:

LOL. That picture of Mama Dee(lil scrappy mama)…hilarious. But back to the topic at hand, I, for one, like big earrings. I just think it’s a time and place to wear them. BBW wearing the earrings are fine when on the show doing confessionals, shopping, getting nails done, etc. Beyonce wearing big earrings when trying to conduct business with the UN may not be the best place to wear those earrings. She should have worn them while out on a shopping trip w/Blue Ivy.

20. Savage says:

LOL @ Jumelle 12!! Never thought about the abacus reference! I mean it does depend, but the trend in our society is more is more and its daunting. If you just wore some cute big earrings and limited everything else then that’s fine. But DAMN! A bunch of weave, a pound of makeup, big ass earrings, necklaces, rings on each finger and bracelets and a watch! Karl Lagerfeld (whom I don’t normally quote) said it best “Your face and neck is not a coat hanger.”

21. yusufswifee says:

haha! I love it. Ya’ll have to work with me cuz I have been on a cable diet for the last five or six months…but arent most of these vh1 stars….those bbw definitely put those bebe and poporazzi ones on the map, right.

I like big earrings but @Cherie is right, you have to be VERY careful with them. I have a baldie and when I first cut my hair it took me a while to rediscover that less is more. I have tons of pairs in the car from taking them off moments after leaving the house. :-) However, I think they are definitely good to have in the aresenal.

22. Jennifer says:

I agree with LawyerChic: they’re fine if everything else is in moderation. And for me, that means EVERYTHING else–colors, clothing, other accessories, shoes, bag–is moderate.

23. robyn says:

there is a time and place for everything. and big earrings aren’t appropriate for every occasion.

24. tahlyuh says:

I find it hilarious that the majority of these women are on VH1 reality shows. Am I the only one that noticed that? The BBW-inspired hoops with the spacers, baubles and spikes are played out and cheapening. A lot of the women in these pictures just wear them to look like “money”, and forget that accessories need to COOR-DI-NATE with the outfit.

25. dee says:

If you’re from New York, you know we’ve been wearing big hoops and northface jackets forever. I used to live for a door knocker earring from Canal or any little street stand. But, as you become more career oriented these earrings are only good for casual wear. Not to mention, your earring hole starts to droop. I remember being on the A-train and my ears would be killing me from 34th to Nostrand.

26. I love huge earrings but that is a little too big for me.

27. puddin says:

Please banish the BBW earrings and all Barbie style necklaces to hell!!

28. Tink says:

Out of all the earrings shown, the only pair I liked were on Beyonce… Please stop it with the big CHEAP looking earrings its disgusting..

29. krystel says:

I think like with everything there is a time and place and i’m not sure that a meeting at the UN is where I would have worn these types of earrings but hey… it’s BEY , so i guess she can do whatever she wants.

30. jeda says:

When it comes to big earrings, I only like 2 kinds; the architectural ones, and the simple thin hoops. All of this other mess is hmmmm, ratchet!
    Blessings

31. @Claire, yes! She wants to wear a panama hat, big earrings and a statement necklace all in one swoop. She needs to check her accessories email and delete some messages, lol!

32. nmillmich25 says:

L agree with robyn- I am all for big stylish earrings, especially when I want to uplift a basic outfit but I am every much aganist wearing big/ oversized earrings when dressing for a formal event.

Yes- if I am going to the Mall, grocery store, friends house etc.
    Hell No- if I am going to formal dinner or gathering.

33. ninjo says:

N – to – the – O

They look ridiculous and they’re distracting.

34. Larissa says:

Is ratchet . but i love them

35. SoulStar says:

I can’t stand the majority of these huge earrings! 90% of them are ugly and cheap looking! I don’t car what celebrity is wearing them! A lot of times they are to much and they never go with the person is wearing, always a major overload! Just to much going on! And did I say cheap too…lol! They remind me of those old school bead sets you buy little girls to make their own jewelry with…lmao! Especially the ones that Jennifer, Tamara and that woman that claims she’s a pimp has on….cheap cheap cheap cheap cheap…this is a trend that needs to die already and never return…cheap.

36. Alexis says:

I love statement earrings just as much as the next fashionista! Although a hug pet peeve of mine if when women wear long hair with lots of volume or curls. I feel like it takes away from the beauty of the earrings. Like what is the point of wearing a big bold earrings if they cannot be seen?

37. Anjolee says:

These statement earrings are a little over the top in my opinion. These ladies would look nice in a pair of glamorous diamond hoop earrings or drop earrings.

38. The only big ass earrings I wear are simple hoops or http://headbangeraccessories.com .

39. Char says:

well, I love huge earrings but ironically enough I hate nearly all the examples provided here. the hoops with the sparkly balls and spikes are so played, they were cute for like 1.5 seconds. I think the factor for me is no rhinestone, feathers in moderation and no obvious imitation gold like beyonce’s. But there are other types of large earrings, various print, chandelier, wooden, fabric, etc. and I love those!

40. binks says:

I say hot in moderation, because A) you have to find the perfect size and B) they had to be well made/designed not tacky and gaudy like some of the ones pictured above. I have an aunt who split her ear (and never gotten it fixed) because she used to wear BIG doorknocker earrings so that always made me weary of them but I wear them on a few occasion when my hair is in a bun and I have my laid back look going on but they are not my everyday go to staples for that I still rely on my diamond stud earrings.

41. like_really_ray says:

There’s always a way to do something just like there’s always an appropriate place for things. Unfortunately most people don’t reserve things for the appropriate setting. Large and/or oversized earrings are no exception. Also, most people don’t understand the art of balance and the art of having a focal point.

42. Blessed&WellDressed says:

I never ever got into this trend, everytime I see something going to the masses I avoid it at all costs. Seeing these bball wives ball hoops in Wal Mart topped it off.

43. I have short hair so I love wearing bold earrings or simple large gold hoops but not everyday. Nothing worse than seeing a woman over accessorize (i.e. huge earrings, five necklaces, and twenty bangles). It cheapens the look.

44. cyd says:

anything the same quality and style that you can purchase in a chinese store screams HELL 2THA NAW to me…..i love big odd earrings with my pixie cut i just had to fall back on the whole BBW trend earrings…#hoodrat

45. Kory Conover says:

I like big earrings but you’re right if they are too big they could wind up looking tacky. Like my grandmama used to say, the bigger the O the bigger the ho.

46. Juice love says:

Nay to those paparazzi earrings so overdone. I like melody ehsani’s selection even honeybgold and Headbangers

47. Juice love says:

Nay to those paparazzi earring so overdone and bootlegged. Melody ehsani, honeybgold, and headbanger have great big earrings

48. addikted2fashion says:

I am definitely hear for a NICE pair of big earrings. Some have been borderline (or completely) tacky and I just refuse to cheapen my look with those. But there are some that are big & beautiful. Also, you can tame the tacky when you make a pair or two yourself. I did and get complimenta everytime I wear them.

49. @paparazzi_promo says:

Looove big earrings..but yes these BBW earrings are overrated -_-

50. Peachie says:

i never really liked the BBW earrings for real life, but i do love big earrings made out of leather or other materials.