August 13th, 2012
Fashion News, Kanye West, Kim Kardashian
New York Magazine on Kim Kardashian’s Place in Fashion

Just in time for fashion week, New York Magazine writer Benjamin Wallace spends a day with Kim Kardashian , talking up her unconventional ascent to fame and her current place in the notoriously snobby fashion industry.

Citing Kim’s rumored ban from the Met Ball by Anna Wintour, and Andre Léon Talley’s remark that, “not even Kim Kardashian could take away from fashion”, Wallace says Kim has had a less than welcoming reception from the fashion elite.

He writes, “While she has made People’s Best Dressed list, when it comes to high fashion she has been met with a cool shoulder. More than any other reality star, she is monitored not just for what she does and says but for what she wears. Everywhere she goes, the fashion police are watching. That cream turtleneck dress with thigh-high snakeskin boots? “Princess Leia gone wrong” (the Daily Mail). A few hours after our zoo outing, Kim will be photographed with Kanye West at Fela!, the Broadway show, wearing a sleeveless green Givenchy dress and olive Giuseppe Zanotti for Balmain boots; Fashion Bomb Daily will give her its “Hot! or Hmm” treatment, sniping that the boots are “a few seasons old.” “ Yesss, they mentioned this Jihan penned post about Kim and Kanye’s Fela appearance!

The writer also delves in to the fashion world’s tepid reviews of Kanye’s fashion twirls. In short it’s a must read (long, but worth it).
Dive in at the Cut.

Posted In
20 comments

20 Responses to “New York Magazine on Kim Kardashian’s Place in Fashion”

1. Loni says:

looks interesting.

2. Faith says:

yay Jihan!

3. t says:

Great Job to the fashion Bomb and Jihan for getting quoted!

4. Arya says:

I now believe Kim K is old news. She’s past her prime and her alleged fashion sense should be credited to celebrity stylist Monica Rose, period. She successfully managed to turn her into a fashion “inspiration” with very stylish outfits (great mix of high/low end) that many women could copy.
    When Kim K was a so called stylist, her clients were Brandy and Paris Hilton…back in the days those women were always on the worst-dressed list…enough said. Kim’s fashion was not good until Monica came in the picture. Now that Monica is out and Kanye is in full force, she is back to looking terrible, wearing high-end brands exclusively (the irony!). And since her only talent was to look good, she’s on her way to Paris Hilton’s IrrelevantLand (and at least Paris is a Hilton).
    My point is Kim K’s place in fashion is null and void.

5. Arya says:

And Jihan, congrats! It shows your “haters” that your writing style is the business!

6. Jihan says:

yay! Thanks so much guys :D

7. yusufswifee says:

Ill pass on reading the article, but the very fact that they are discussing this chic in the NY mag means again that she is WINNING

Congrats on the quote Jihan.

8. Jojo says:

Very interesting article… I used to be a big fan of KK but I soon lost interest after her marriage to Kris ended. I don’t dislike her at all; in fact, most of the time I still like her fashion choices. Though I personally wish she would edit more of what she exposes to the public, I have to give her her props… she’s very successful.

It’s humorous to see people deciding that her 15 minutes of fame are up; no matter how many people throw shade, she will still be very wealthy.

I’m so glad FBD got quoted (Jihan’s posts are one of my favs), I only wish it were over saying something positive… they made this site sound snobby. You guys are anything but!

9. Lucia says:

@ Kim K aint winning SHIT

When shes on the front cover of US VOGUE, Vanity Fair and Rolling Stone, then u can say she’s winning but now she looking like a real damn loser espiecally next to Kanye

Shes nothing but a bootleg Jlo

10. It doesn’t look like they got one good shot of her. The cover looks horrible. Congrats on being quoted! I see a spike in readership :)

11. 11 Reasons says:

am i the only one who thought the image in the compact mirror looked really “post-op” *le sigh* kimmy cakes say no to the plastic surgeon..

12. aries says:

3 posts of kim k, maybe more. i have seen 3 so far. u really love kim kardashian on this website.

13. makeeasweet says:

why post this article on here,the writer made the fashion bomb sound negative.giving her the hot or hmm treatment and sniping that her boots are last season.

14. dyshaun says:

Kim K overloadddddd *gasps*

Aww too bad they got you being “mean” lol

15. Jaida says:

Fashion designers don’t see it for Kim K. and I don’t either. I knew I wasn’t crazy.

16. Kahalia says:

For someone like me who only knows of Kim through FBD, it was a good read. Interesting article and well written.

17. Kim is just a pretty girl made famous by a sex tape. She isnt a Naomi, Giselle, Tyra or Heidi. She is just a woman who likes clothes and she wears them well. What has she brought to the fashion world that says “hey notice me!” We have plenty of curvy women making an impact on the fashion world. the only thing she is bringing is controversy and cheap and overpriced clothing at Sears.

18. Eva says:

oh Kim, please! cry me a river! this is what happens when you’re famous for sucking dick

19. Nola Q. Darling says:

Yea, I’m more psyched abt the pub for mfavoritism site. Go head ladies!

20. Florence says:

Kim Kardashian to me has ALWAYS been overexposed and under-dressed. She was a beautiful girl (before the Kris Jenner platic surgery), however, she now looks too stiff, overdone, and just plain wrong! She is always going to be the overexposed chick who got her introduction to fame through a revealing and disgusting sex-tape. However, I cannot knock her business saavy-that woman turned a desperate and tragic situation into a multi-million dollar desperately tragic situation. And do not get me started on her mother, the “obviously vicariously living through my daughter pimp momager with a surgery botched face” TRAGEDY!