August 7th, 2012
Beauty
Beauty Bomb: Tika Sumpter Shares Her Skin Secrets

A few weeks ago reader Nikki B, after seeing Tika Sumpter’s gorgeous skin in a Claire’s Life post, wrote “Claire. I would love (As a Cocoa Complected woman) if you could do some sort of post on what people like Kelly Rowland and Tika use on their skin. Kelly is ALWAYS so glowy and has such smooth skin on her actual body-not just face. So in short I would appreciate and love a post on glow-y skin like Kelly’s & Tika’s. Thank you!!” Kelly was busy, but Tika was available to share her secrets.
You ready?

Regarding products she uses, she said, “I honestly am in between right now. I’m trying to use [products that have] the simplest ingredients in them. I haven’t committed to anything yet, but I’m running a trial with Mario Badescu. The one constant in my life for moisturizer is Keri Original. I use it on my entire face and body every day. I stand by that product, it leaves my skin so soft.”

She continues, “I wash with a simple cleanser (like Mario Badescu Enzyme Cleansing Gel), use a gentle toner (like Mario Badescu’s Aloe Vera Toner), and then end by moisturizing with Keri lotion.”

She continues, “When I get facials, I get the most basic one available. I always ask for products with no scents, I always feel like I break out from products that have smell, I don’t know why, but it always happens to me. I also ask the esthetician to never extract to much. When they are doing extractions, I personally feel like all the squeezing and pressure on my face isn’t good for it.”

Beauty stars from the inside, so I had to ask Tika if she follows any specific diet or eats any skin nurturing foods. She said, “I just started taking a multi-vitamin called Smarty Pants gummy multivitamin-it’s for kids, but I take it. It’s better than no vitamin. Lol”

I try my best to eat well, it’s super hard for me sometimes, to be perfectly honest. I do make a strawberry, banana, and blueberry smoothie in the morning with rice milk. I cook at home a lot–that mostly insures I know exactly what I’m eating. I drink water every day as well and I try [to] exercise 3 times a week.”

Any beauty don’ts? She says, “My beauty don’t is no makeup to bed. I always have to wash my face. No hair on my face at night when I go to bed, and also I try not to touch my face through out the day.”

And there you have it! Look for products with simple ingredients, get your cleanser, toner, and moisturizer on, and get an occasional facial. Also drink water–and work out.
What did you think? And what are some of your skin secrets?

Posted In
26 comments

26 Responses to “Beauty Bomb: Tika Sumpter Shares Her Skin Secrets”

1. Jennifer says:

THANK THE HEAVENS FOR THIS! I’m in the midst of trying a new regimen and it’s nice to see how other chocolate women are handling it.

2. i love Tika Sumpter. She’s definitely reppin for the chocolate women and Her Skin is so flawless

3. Michele says:

I can attest to the greatness of Mario Badescu products.. I use the botanical facial gel and glycolic toner (i had acne scars) daily along with the whitening mask (every other day). I also use aveeno’s positively radiant moisturizer because of the SPF. My skin has improved TREMENDOUSLY. Check out their website – they recommend products based on whatever issue you’re tackling.

4. Marsha says:

Really loving this post. Tika is such a gem, but I have to admit, her skin isn’t exactly such that people may be interested in obtaining. She has a great glow though.

5. Bronze says:

That is a beautiful girl.

6. DONNA says:

I would not recommend putting keri lotion on the face… I have had sensitive skin all of my life and the best products I have used that do not cause irritation are the Avene range- which you can find on drugstore.com. It comes highly recommended by many dematologists.

7. gem12 says:

I think she is absolutely stunning!

@Michele- how long have you been using Mario Badescu-
    I was considering investing in their products, but as we all know, experimenting is such a painstaking task-

Thanks! :)

8. Taj says:

I have very sensitive skin and the only product that I can use on my face and skin without irritation is Cetaphil. It leaves my skin looking fresh and feeling really clean.

9. EshaDiva says:

love this girl and her skin! people always tell me I could be her twin and I am very flattered! :-)

10. *& says:

Her skin is beautiful and her routine is simple.

Before I buy skin/body care I read the ingredients. I try to make sure that the products I use have mostly natural ingredients since I noticed that those work best for my sensitive skin.

The only products I use on my face are: Neutrogena Naturals line ( purifying cleanser), an unscented moisturizer for my face, Dickinson’s original witch hazel pore perfecting toner and occassionally st. ives gentle apricot scrub.

11. tanya says:

Tika is a beautiful woman and she just radiates a glow! I just wish she can tone down the eyebrows and make them a little thicker it will bring more of a softness to her gorgeous face

12. Alison DiLaurentis says:

I never undertood all the oohahh over Tika. She looks just like Derek Luke with a wig/weave on. Enough said.

13. Alison DiLaurentis says:

*understood

14. Kitty B. says:

I’ve been away from FBD for weeks because of a new job and I feel deprived?? But Im so happy the day i returned, I see a new skin regimine, the good Lord knows i need one!

Will this also work for us caramal or ligher complextion ladies??

15. tt says:

tika is such a pretty woman.

16. Fashionbum82 says:

Theres always someone who HAS to throw shade anyway,,,she is a beautiful who skin is always radiant I will try her regimen because i use Lubriderm and it doesnt really give me the glow that I am looking for! Thanks FBD!

17. tyeshawho says:

Get Megan Goods skin care regimen!

18. binks says:

I always thought Tika was beautiful even when she was kicking it up with my boo Christian from One life to live…lol but her skin is gorg it just radiates

19. Concur says:

I’ve tried that cleansing gel and I will say, if nothing else, it has the best smell on earth. I’d buy it for that reason alone!

20. Chris styles says:

It would’ve been helpful to know what her skin type is (I.e. oily, combo, dry, normal, etc.).

21. Michele says:

@gem12 i’ve been using the facial gel for about a year now. i used it some time back but tried other products only to come back to it. as for the mask and toner, i started using it approx. 6 months ago and noticed a difference in my skin’s health/appearance after about 2 months of use.

22. I’m a chocolate gal too, good to see I’m not the only one who feels that scented products are no good on the face. People always think I’m crazy because I cant use heavily scented products.

23. So LOVE her!!! She is gorgeous! Going to be sure to check out the Mario Badescu Skin Care products.

24. Nikki B. says:

@CLAIRE you alwaysss deliver! Thank you so much for this post! I definitely found it helpful! :)

25. Ashlee says:

I’m in love with that Mario Badescu cleansing gel! I was apposed to using it because I love a good lather on my face. But it has worked well so far. They also offer sample sizes to try as well. I got my mom hooked on it too. She used to have an oily t-zone area but since she has been using it, no complaints!

26. Candace Y says:

I have dark brown, normal skin and use a combination of Ambi and Iman skincare. However, since neither makes (that I have been able to find) an at home facial/scrub, I have been using Queen Helene Avocado/Grapefruit facial once a week.

Eventually, once I have finished with Queen Helene, I am going to try Black Opal facial/scrubs. I use Black Opal and Iman cosmetics in tandem already, and I think my skin would benefit from staying within the same product lines.

I also TRY to drink 64 ounces of water a day, take multi-vitamins, get good nutrition, sleep 8 hours a night and work out regularly.

With this regimen and these products, my skin looks great and I get lots of compliments. ;)