August 6th, 2012
Fashion, Fashion News
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

Gabby Douglas has a few choice words for the concerned trolls who were so pressed about the state of her hair. The two-time Olympic Gold medalist said: “I don’t know where this is coming from. What’s wrong with my hair? I’m like, ‘I just made history and people are focused on my hair?’ It can be bald or short, it doesn’t matter about (my) hair. Nothing is going to change. I’m going to wear my hair like this during beam and bar finals. You might as well just stop talking about it. I don’t think people should be worried about that. We’re all champions and we’re all winners. I just say that it’s kind of, a stupid and crazy thought to think about my hair.” Exactly. Douglas is also expected to make over $90 million dollars in the next decade, which is more than enough money to buy each and every one of her hair haters a clue. (Global Grind)

Hedi Slimane‘s catching flack these days for the unnecessary changes he’s made to Yves Saint Laurent. Customers vociferously expressed their displeasure at the brnad’s name change to Saint Laurent Paris, and have slammed the new logo. But Slimane says these naysayers need to open their history books, as the logo is inspired by the label’s 1966 branding. “It is interesting to see how much reaction this retro branding has created…Clearly, this period of the history of the house was not well-known, which I trust was a surprise for Pierre Bergé [Saint Laurent's long-term partner],” Slimane said. “I went back to 1966 – just before the events of 1968 [when 11 million workers revolted against the conservative politics of then-President Charles de Gaulle - the biggest general strike in history], but the awakening of youth was in the air, and Yves Saint Laurent wanted to dissociate himself from the clientele of haute couture and embrace this new generation.” While I appreciate the nod to the past, I’m still not sold on the branding. Just like white dress gloves, there’s a reason the old logo went out of style. What do you think of the new logo now that Slimane’s explained himself? (Fashionista)

Victoria Beckham is expanding her brand, making the foray into prescription eyewear. The six piece line, expected to drop in October, was designed in collaboration with Cutler & Gross. The range includes women’s and unisex options, for those nearsighted fashionistos. Beckham told WWD she got the idea for the line when she couldn’t find any frames to wear herself: “I do need to wear glasses – [but] I haven’t found glasses that suit me or that I particularly like. I’ve always been quite self-conscious, so that’s why I’ve decided to do them myself. I will be wearing my glasses now, and it will be nice to see where I’m going for once.” (Vogue UK)

• British company River Island may have its sights set on US expansion! The High Street retailer is rumored to be looking for a space in Manhattan to launch its flagship store, which could open as soon as next year. My wallet is rejoicing and weeping at the same damn time. (Telegraph)

• Here’s a little preview of what to expect from this upcoming season of America’s Next Top Model. (CWTV Youtube)

~Jihan

32 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: Gabby Douglas Fires Back at Hair Critics, Hedi Slimane Addresses YSL Logo Change, and River Island May be Coming to the US!”

1. LawyerChic says:

I know that’s right Gabby! She has such a great spirit to be so young!

2. mi manning says:

who said something about her hair?! why is that even an issue? everytime it comes down to black women, there’s always a trivial issue at hand, instead of focusing on what’s important! look at Serena Williams…she won her gold and when it was time to get medaled and they raise the flag, some idiot didn’t have the flag secured, so it dropped! How embarrasing! I really feel like these last days are truly a blatant attack on the black woman!!!! but the queen shall take her thrown again, and everyone will be BENEATH her!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. T1K says:

Man pleasee… raise your hand if you were an Olympic champion at 16! *cricket sound* EXACTLY! now shut up! Lets GOO Gabby, you have two more metals waiting for you!!!

4. Kitana says:

Very well said Gabby. I was floored when I heard this was happening to this child. Am I missing something? Whats wrong with her hair? To my knowledge, the taunting isn’t from her peers?! Its from ADULTS! Gabby I’m so sorry that you’ve had to endure such ignorance from your very own people. I was a boxer for 5 years as a teen around your age. Training was rigorous, as a *serious athlete the very last thing on my mind was my hair. Ignore these overweight unhealthy fools who’ve apparently never worked out and never played a sport as a child for they don’t know the sacrifices it entails.

5. lola says:

Can we please stop with these Gabby hair posts? This is a classic example of the media blowing things out of proportion and then gullible viewers continue to fan the flames by saying “black people this” and “black people that” The truth of the matter is those hair comments were made idiots on twitter. There are so many idiots on twitter who make idiotic comments everyday. Why carter to the attention they crave by broadcasting their idiotic ways?

Twitter does not represent the views of black people. In fact, it does not represent the views of the world. It only represents the views of idiots on twitter. Let’s stop this ish.

6. y says:

I hoped she didnt even respond to such ignorant rants about HAIR! Only IGNORANT people would find an issue with this childs hair. What did they want her to do, wear a lace front or a full head weave with bangs? I mean, give me a break!

7. lola says:

“the taunting isn’t from her peers?! Its from ADULTS!”

The taunting came FROM TWITTER, TWITTER, TWITTER. OMG! Can we stop with the sensationalism? idiots on twitter say stupid things everyday. Let us stop giving them attention. Stop blaming adults, black people, yo momma and yo uncle. The taunting came from twitter. Since when does twitter represent black adults all over America and the world? You people need to stop.

8. Amber says:

As far as the YSL logo goes I think its very chic. A new designer equals changes and to be quite honest the big ‘YSL’ letters don’t fit Heidi’s aesthetic so it only made sense to do something that reflects his style. Much respect to him!

9. jme says:

“Gold medal or not, suggestions that one should tighten up their hair game should not be regarded as self hatred.”– Dr. Todd Boyd

These were the thoughts presented by an ADULT….More specifically, an African American professor at USC….

The ignorance did not simply come from a bunch of anonymous twitter users, but individuals in the African American community that we respect and hold to some degree of esteem. Sad and ridiculous.

10. whatevs says:

thank you jme…people need to accept that we have a vast amount of ignorance in our community instead of continuing to sweep under the rug…and the mess continues to play out generation after generation…pretty soon you’ll see fools walking around with lacefronts on their babies…

11. Tyra needs to have a seat. Her attempts at saving the show are sad.

12. Hello says:

Yasss @ River Island coming to the US

13. Bronze says:

River Island….Yayyyyyyy! Whoooopiee!!!!!!!!

Gabby: I wouldn’t have given a statement…….I would have let that $90 million slap the haters smack in dey mouf!

SLAP! SLAP!

14. Bronze says:

AND WHY HAVEN’T WE PUT THOSE TWITTER HATERS ON BLAST????? We have their photos….I want retribution damnit!

15. AzizMom says:

Well, I commend Tyra for going back to the drawing board to appeal to a younger audience. But seriously, where do “Top Models” go after the show? Only a small percentage take off. Personally, I’m no longer the demographic and she’s fired off everyone I liked. On Gabby: I wish her handlers would have advised her not to speak on the hair subject. It’s petty, close-minded and irrelevant to her accomplishments. Not to mention TMZ is reporting horrible stuff about her family’s affairs – it’s all up in smoke now. The kid is a historic Olympian and millionaire.

16. Mely B says:

AzizMom said: “…On Gabby: I wish her handlers would have advised her not to speak on the hair subject. It’s petty, close-minded and irrelevant to her accomplishments…”

I wholeheartedly agree however because we are living in such a high-tech time where FB, Twitter, blogs, etc blew this matter up of course a reporter was going to badger her about this until she answered. I’m so proud of her mature response and hope that this idiocy doesn’t dim her joy.

On another note: I’m beginning to pray every day for the demise of Twitter – people just expose their stupidity & cruelty all day err’day on that thing.

17. Dee says:

Isn’t this just a case of pot calling kettle black? I can recall many occasions when this blog has posted “hot or hmmn” posts and pictures of celebs with unsightly lace front wigs/weaves, why then didn’t you focus only on these celebs’ talents and no.1 albums instead of “attacking” them cos of hair!
    I congratulate Gabby on her achievement but dragging this issue is definitely doing more harm than good!

18. whatevs says:

I thought most would see the difference in critiquing blogger/vloggers, celebs/wannabe celebs that are putting their physical aesthic out there to be judged…they are making money off of their looks…

Gabby is a 16 yr old athlete that is using her God given talents and intelligence to excel in a sport that has mostly excluded girls like her…

can you see the difference now…

Gabby had everyright to respond…I feel this is now become a thing of hit dogs and exposed roaches wanting the licks to stop and the lights to be turned off…

19. Nicole says:

I’m sorry someone even told her about the ignorant people who mentioned her hair. It’s not even worth it.

20. SLIMB says:

I get a lot of me and my daughters clothes from Rivers Island, its take quite a while so hopefully since their in the US now they can deliver faster… lol on another note im excited.

I’m sad gabby had to see that. And this is a urban blog where people have the opportunity to have conversations about things going on in urban fashion. Gabby is now part of that and nobody hear has said anything nasty about gabby but have been supportive. So what is there to complain about, personally I hope she sees these post and sees all the support she has for her accomplishments despite all the nasty naysayers. And tyra I can’t she seems like she’s grasping at straws. I wish she would just let go.

22. Nisa says:

My appeal to FBD…please do not print anymore articles about OUR little Gabby. Please stop. We are showing the world how superficial and ignorant some black women can be. We have so much for us to be proud of and we give energy and conversation to this! As journalist you must report but you also have a moral compass and choice. Please give no more sight or energy to OUR Gabby’s hair.

23. SoHappy says:

I don’t think there was anything wrong with her hair.

What exactly does a hoodrat know about Olympic accomplishment and glory? Nothing! All they can see is that she didn’t get her “hurr did”.. But a college professor?.. I’m beginning to think education has no effect on African American ratchetness..

25. Tisha says:

Great Comeback Gabby!

26. Anayo says:

River Island?! YES! One of my fave Euro shops

27. Dee says:

I agree with LOLA…DEAD THIS TOPIC ONCE AND FOR ALL GEESH!

28. aries says:

i hope those comments aren’t bothering Gabby. people should never be talking bout her hair. that is a shame. i notice last night she came in last on the uneven bars, which is her best event. i would tell her to keep her head up and don’t even address the hair issue anymore. and if River Island comes here, i hope it is good, cause they water down some stores, like H & M. i live in Atlanta and when i went to H & M in Los Angeles, California, it made the H & M in Atlanta look like JCPenny outlet. bring the same River Island that is in the UK.

29. leena says:

i didnt even think of her hair when i saw her, i just say a child that looks like oprah

30. *REAL* says:

im lik so seriuos who da fuck cares about her hair she won a freakin dedal like really. yall need to grow up cause shes way more mature than yall grown folks and shes a teenager!

31. *REAL* says: