August 2nd, 2012
Beauty, Hair
Twitter and Blogs Buzz About Gabby Douglas’s Hair

Olympic gymnast and gold medal winner Gabby Douglas has been the focus of several blogs and tweets as of late, not because of her outstanding sportsmanship, prowess, flexibility, and grace…but because of her hair.

In an article on Jezebel.com, writer Dodai Stewart enumerates several tweets from opinionated naysayers, who typed, “She needs some gel and a brush…”, “Someone needs to give her a hair intervention…”, and “Gabby Douglas needs to tame the beady beads in the back of her head…lol.”

Hair is such a polarizing issue in the African-American community, whether you’re natural, relaxed, or somewhere in between. The common denominator, whatever your style, is this necessity that your look is polished–layed, swooped, and devoid of ‘beady beads.‘ But as we all know, when you’re working out and sweating, your hair is a casualty. And besides, who cares if Gabby’s hair is a little unkempt–shouldn’t the focus be on her skill and accomplishments?

Fittingly, several Twitterers have come to Gabby’s defense, typing, “Talking about Gabby Douglas’ hair? At least it’s hers. You got yours from one of Britain’s Equestrian horses,” and, “Gabby Douglas is competing on a Gold Winning Team not a hair show. #KnockItOff”
What do you think of this whole hubbub?
Read more at Jezebel, Clutch, and Sporty Afros.

Posted In
114 comments

114 Responses to “Twitter and Blogs Buzz About Gabby Douglas’s Hair”

1. Hater says:

Gabby is great as she is – she’s a young, cute athlete and not no permbox model! Go Gabby, get it, eff all that hair talk, doing all those routines it gets sweaty! ☺

2. AzizMom says:

It’s all very sad that our/Black community had to point out a flaw that is irrelevant to the accomplishment this young lady has achieved. We have to keep in mind, her Mom and sisters have sacrificed their daughter to a gymnastics coach to WIN and not a glam squad so she could look “tv ready”. This is called priorities. The pettiness must stop.

3. Alyssa says:

LMAO @ getting hair from one of the horses. I think it’s expected that people would focus on her hair. Unfortunately, most Black people like to pick on and point out all the faults of their own people who are in the public eye. Always neglecting the positive and phenomenal aspects of their publicity and rather focusing on something as trivial as hair.

It’s extremely sad and disturbing but not unexpected as this kind of ridicule has happened numerous times in the past. I don’t get why people don’t see that most gymnasts(who lo and behold are not Black) have those clips in their hair and usually have their hair gelled down. They are pinpointing her and setting her apart for that when they should be uplifting her especially when it has become evident that the mainstream media has not been giving her the promo that she deserves.

4. Alyssa says:

Also, are we still denigrating Black women because of the texture of their hair?? (referring to the “beady beads”). I’ve never seen a group of people so extremely brainwashed and wounded when it comes to their natural characteristics. Her hair texture is her hair texture. It’s on her head, not yours. It shouldn’t bother you and affect you, especially if it does not affect and bother her.

5. Frost says:

Just another example of blacks tearing down blacks. I haven’t heard any white people make comments about her hair?

Really pathetic how some blacks put more pride in hair shows than the Olympics. No wonder the prison population and baby momma stats are so high. Also wanted to note the twitter handles of those with the comments — uneducation at its finest.

6. Beautifully Created says:

This is why little girls are perming their hair at the precious age of 4 and scared to go natural. I was terrified to go natural. My mother had been relaxing ly hair since I could talk. I am so happy I did. I now embrace my “beady bees” and don’t plan to go back!

7. CrimsonDiva says:

DItto @Alyssa!!! Leave it to “us” to start degrading our own by picking apart little minor details. Instead of supporting her for her presence in a sport that is dominated by Caucasians, we focus on her hair – a complete non-mf factor!!!! It’s very sad.

8. Melissa says:

African-Americans make me sad. I dont blame them for their insecurities and defensiveness anyway…..

9. Soul Touch says:

Of course we have to waste our time pointing meaningless flaws during such a proud moment. SMH We can be so degrating to one another.

10. Beautifully Created says:

What the heck is a beady bead anyway? Smh I laugh at the ignorance. I hope this child does not pay any attention to any of it and understands and knows that she is beautiful just the way she is.

11. Mixx says:

iMO I don’t even think there should be blog posts like this and others addressing it. Those few that are making negative comments are the ignorant minority, why give them an even larger platform? It’s doubtful they will ever change their opinions so just let it die.

12. CaribbeanQueen says:

smh.. first of all, the accomplishments that this SIXTEEN year old girl could overshadow what most of these people have done in their entire lives and a lot of the people talking about it are grown!

and also, gymnasts ususally have a rigorous training schedule of about 300 days a year. Who has time to worry about keeping their edges fresh when you’re sweating for 300 days year. Yea she could get braids but when would she have the time to actually sit and get them done!? Come ON!

13. HavilandClarke says:

African Americans are the only race who tear each other down for dumb shit. If she didnt have so called beady bees as the twitter said it would be an issue as well im sure #getafuckinglife I miss the days where there was no twitter and people kept their stupid ass opinions to themselves

14. mamareese says:

Ok, let’s pull out the 16-17yr old pics of some of these Twitter haters….bet it’s a mess. Not everyone is into weaves and perms at that age. Leave this baby alone…if I were at her level, having a ponytail to whip around would be my last thought for real. Plus we sweat and our hair can suffer for that….I mean the girl cant hit the tumble mat wearing a tuban now can she. Sheesh…in my Tamar voice get yo life!

15. Drey says:

wtf???SERIOUSLY !! i a m a french black woman and like lot of us in the world i follow and support all the black athletics who are engaged in the JO, whatever are they country.
    Why those critics about her hair?????instead of be proud that she represents us in excellence! She was not there to show people how beautiful are her hair or make up but to show us how she’s a strong, professional and powerful athletic!

16. Taj says:

This truly let’s us know how psychologically damaged and hateful many African American are. This young girl with an emphasis on young is a brilliant gymnast with poise, grace, and humility and she is competing in the Olympics and all these hateful, functional illiterate morons could think to do is to tear her down because of hair.

17. Joanne_ says:

i am baffled by this controversy…over her hair! the girl is competing on one of the highest stages for athleticism and strength and people are concerned whether her hair is laid….no ma’am! Gabby is doing something waaaaay bigger than herself than most people could accomplish in a lifetime so i’m willing to forget about her hair and instead focus on her fulfilling her dreams and winning a gold medal.

18. Reicie says:

Some days I cringe at the thought of representing such an reprehensible culture that would actually put into cyberspace (and the universe) the ridicule of an Olympic champion who MOVED AWAY FROM HER FAMILY ACROSS THE FRIGGIN COUNTRY to train to represent this cess-pool of ingrates!!! Every last one of those girls had their hair with clips and gel it just so happens, our little Gabby’s hair showed her ethnicity which is why we should be SCREAMING hallelujah at the top of our lungs at the great representation then to be pointing out her hair. If anyone noticed last night’s broadcast which includes glimpses of the teams promo, her hair WAS DOWN AND STRAIGHT like her counterparts. Maybe folks should worry about how they probably couldn’t get their sorry *&^%$#@ off of twitter and FB long enough to accomplish what she and the entire Team USA members did and if they did maybe our community wouldn’t be in the condition it’s in. (off soapbox)

19. such negativity…about her HAIR is ridiculous. We should be teaching our daughters to be as determined and as driven as her…wherever their talents take them. My 4 yr old is amazed by Gabby. No one should be worried about her hair…but congratulating her for her accomplishments.

We as a people can be so ignorant. I’m nappy and proud! People say nappy like it is a bad thing. I wear my napps like a badge of honor. Focus on her as the amazing gymnast she is, not on her hair! Grrrrrrr!

21. Loniann says:

This makes me hate black women…honestly.

22. Court says:

I feel for our community. At a time when we should be celebrating this young lady for her historical achievements we are focused on something that holds no importance. I would love for African Americans to rise above this kind of foolishness but until more people wake/grow up and realize what holds value and what doesn’t matter we won’t.

23. Loniann says:

How absolutely embarassing

24. I personally think that it is a waste of time to focus on the negative tweets/comments about her hair. She is an American Olympic Gold Medalist, how many of the naysayers has that under their belts? The girl is bad as ish and no one can deny that!

25. Reicie says:

And another thing…let’s see what “our folks” have to say during the track and field events. If anyone watched the opening ceremonies, the amount of women whose hair is completely natural and those who chose locks, braids and twists in other countries is astonishing while our folks (in this category not excluding whites and Kardashians) choose weave.

26. jess says:

I swear to God, we Black people are our own worst enemies.

27. Harare Mbama says:

Why do we as black women hate ourselves so much we look at Gabby and only see her hair?

We don’t see her grace.
    We don’t see her beautiful eyes.
    We don’t see those full lips that many of us have and many more envy?
    We don’t see a beautiful black butterfly that is repping for every black girl out there training hard to make her mark just as Gabby has.
    We don’t see a queen who millions around the world now know.

Free yourselves of this mental slavery. Gabby is much more than her hair. She is a champion.

28. Martinique_Fr says:

WOW! I’m so embarrassed for those black women who worry about this child’s “hair” despite her unbelievably amazing accomplishments … really?

29. LaTasha says:

**heavy sigh** I love my people but Lawrd!! Gabby is cute as she could be, well spoken and talented. What is she suppose to have a Beyonce lace front while doing back flips? The reality is we will never be able to please “some” people. I hope Gabby is not listening to these bitter women and continues to do her thing and make us proud.

30. Alyssa says:

I agree @Loniann. It is far too embarrassing. It is sick that Black women would go to such lengths to put down a girl that is an Olympian and a Gold Medalist, excelling in her field. Her accomplishments in the face of discrimination and just sheer ignorance does not need ignorance and ridicule from her fellow American citizens. In the words of Marcus Garvey,

“Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery”

31. Tylina says:

It’s stupid and ignorant to comment on her hair. I noticed it and I didn’t care. She’s an gymnast not a model.

32. Nicole says:

It’s such a same we still don’t get it…

33. EshaDiva says:

All the other posters have already said what I am thinking…black people are their own worst enemy and truly have some self-hate issues, whether its skin color or hair texture and honestly it makes me sick to my stomach

34. EshaDiva says:

btw thanks for putting these idiots with their stupid comments and pics on blast! smh let everyone see what ignorance and self hate looks like…

35. TeeMarie says:

This is so shameful and sad that black people can take a proud moment and find a way to make it disgraceful. First and foremost, this young lady is an accomplished Olympian and Gold Medalist– something most people will NEVER be– her hair should be the least of people’s worries.

It is so sad that as a people we cannot even surpass ignorance and insecurities. It’s just ridiculous.

36. Brittany says:

Newsflash: It’s not just black women that are coming down on Gabby’s hair. It’s men and women.

37. Shelly says:

I agree with @Mixx. We shouldn’t even give these people the spotlight and time of day, because in the end, they are probably just doing saying what they are saying to get a laugh, or truly are ignorant and have nothing better to do with their time.

Take for instance the girl on twitter who mentioned “beady beads”. Go to her twitter and look through her pics. She has NOOOOOO room to talk. And taking a step further, look at this pic of her and read the caption— https://twitter.com/#!/thats_MYYlane/media/slideshow?url=http%3A%2F%2Ftwitpic.com%2Fa9hrcs

Gabby’s hair looked better than this…AND she was doing more work. These kind of twitter folk will always have something to say. We shouldn’t take them seriously, and should just ignore them.

38. Nicole says:

Why do people make it seem like hair is only an issue amongst “African Americans?” That is definitely NOT true.

Anyway, I’m proud of Gabby. I think she’s a beautiful young girl, and her hair is her business.

39. carmen says:

The really sad part to me is that considering that heart disease and Type 2 diabetes (both of which are largely preentable with proper diet and EXERCISE)continue to be the leading cause of death among African American women, more of us need to worry less about our hair being “fried, dyed and laid to the side” and more about sweating it out so that we can live longer…smh… on a ide note, for these people with oh so perfect hair, remind me again, how many gold medals do you have?? oh, okay, that’s what I thought

40. yusufswifee says:

I saw this on my way in to work. Seriously. This is an outrage. I am a black woman and I just want to say that is whats wrong with those of us that have many other problems. SMH. I remember how folks use to go on Condelezza Rice also. Really? The things some folks focus on. It will never cease to amaze me.

41. Jackie says:

smh, some black people with their ignorance is only bringing our people back years and years. Is your hair looking a certain way more important than actually accomplishing something great in their lives. Really? All I can say is congrads gabby, your story has touched my heart and has only reminded me that no matter what, you can achieve your goals. thank you girl

42. LawyerChic says:

I saw people tweets about this the other day and it disgusted me. Maybe if more Black women were worried about accomplishing something as amazing as an Olympic Gold Medal at 15 instead of frying, dying, and blow drying their hair they’d have some now! And yes I’m going there because I’m mad they’re picking on this child!

43. Nikki says:

Some people should just STFU with their ignorant azzes

44. Brooke says:

There are waaay more ppl on twitter who congratulated Gabby and team USA on the Gold and could care less about hair texture. I wish we wouldn’t focus so hard on these 5 ignorant behind twitter responses.

It’s noted, that even jesus had hair like wool. I think the age old discussion of hair will be around forever, it will never go away until we stop giving it so much attention.

45. Diamond says:

Gabby is amazing. She has put out the best performance of all the gymnasts at the olympics and all people can do is complain about her hair, get a life. To quote Beyonce, they ain’t no diva.

Routing for Gabby for all-around olympics gold today. Team Gabby, you go girl.

46. Aaronie says:

Why Claire? Why would you give the haters the attention they so crave??

47. tt says:

once again, when will blacks stop tearing black women down based on the look of their hair? i’m so sick of negroes bitching about hair! here you have an accomplished, talented, & gifted young black woman representing the usa at the olympics & all these negative fools can think to comment on is her hair? we can be our own worst enemies!!!

48. mamareese says:

And furthermore….what you don’t have you can buy nowadays. Kudos to Gabby for keeping it 100% real. Not only can she put it down in the Os she can twirl and flip carefree without worrying about what’s intact. Have of the Twitter haters above drop it in the club and lacefront would be on blast. Boooo haters picking on a young black woman living and following a dream…. Sans Janet: What have you done for me lately?

49. SLIMB says:

I see absolutely nothing wrong with gabbys hair. How come we cant praise her about how great she did rather then talk about something so unimportant like how her hair was smh.

50. Natalie Lowry says:

She is a athlete,not a hair model. Regardless if she gets it down,its going to sweat out. She probably have it done when she not in training. I swear ppl can be so judgemental about the little things,but not judging the real issuse in America..smh. I bet most of critics probably miserable and just jealous. Gabby keep doing u, b/c @ the end its just hair.