• Elliana Placas, Essence magazine’s first white Fashion Director, has left the publication, as confirmed by the New York Times. Placas’s appointment caused quite an uproar back in 2010, as several black women wondered why Essence, a magazine aimed towards women of color, would hire a white woman when the magazine industry is already overwhelmingly whitewashed. Essence has not commented on the matter (other than to announce Placas’s departure), but a source told the New York Post that Placas’s and Editor-in-Chief Constance White‘s “different visions for fashion coverage” was the reason for her departure. (NYT)
• Louis Vuitton tapped Mos Def to help pay tribute to Muhammad Ali, who, if you remember, recently posed for the brand. The rapper flexes his acting muscles, reciting a poem Ali spoke before a 1974 match for the camera.
• Vanity Fair has released its 2012 International best dressed list which includes dull dresser H.R.H The Duchess of Cambridge, Jay-Z, Alicia Keys, Fan Bingbing, and Victor Cruz. They seem to have forgotten to add Solange Knowles to the list, so I’m just going to assume it’s incomplete. (Vanity Fair)
• Here’s an unexpected designer collab: Diane Von Furstenberg is joining forces with surf brand Roxy on a swimwear capsule called DVF loves Roxy. The lauded designer will place her signature prints on Roxy’s swimsuits, cover-ups, beach bags, board shorts, and rash guards with prices ranging from $38 to $88.(WWD)
• Ebony Magazine is looking for Fashion and Beauty interns for the Fall 2012 semester. The internship will begin in August and end in December. All applicants must be able to commit to 2-3 days a week, and be eligible to receive school credit. This is a very hands-on internship, with duties including organizing the fashion & beauty closets, assisting with story and photo research, assisting with fact checking and credits, and so much more. The internship does not include writing and/or styling tasks. Interested? Send your resume, cover, and availability to email@example.com.
• The L’Oreal Hair & Makeup Room has been a staple on Project Runway for years, and now the brand is releasing a capsule inspired by the show. The line is broken up into four smaller sets including two nail polishes, a lipstick, lip gloss, blush, and eyeshadow palette. Look for the range in stores this October! (Racked)
• And just for fun, here is Team USA gymnast Gabby Douglas doing a Dougie of sorts after qualifying for the All-Round final. (YouTube)
24 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: Fashion Director Elliana Placas Leaves Essence, Ebony Magazine Needs Fall 2012 Interns, and Gabby Douglas Does The Dougie”
Leave a Reply
Fashion Bomb TV
Popular Posts This Week
Cheap shopping online for more fashion and beauty products