July 31st, 2012
Fashion, Fashion News
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

• Elliana PlacasEssence magazine’s first white Fashion Director, has left the publication, as confirmed by the New York Times. Placas’s appointment caused quite an uproar back in 2010, as several black women wondered why Essence, a magazine aimed towards women of color, would hire a white woman when the magazine industry is already overwhelmingly whitewashed. Essence has not commented on the matter (other than to announce Placas’s departure), but a source told the New York Post that Placas’s and Editor-in-Chief Constance White‘s “different visions for fashion coverage” was the reason for her departure. (NYT)

Louis Vuitton tapped Mos Def to help pay tribute to Muhammad Ali, who, if you remember, recently posed for the brand. The rapper flexes his acting muscles, reciting a poem Ali spoke before a 1974 match for the camera.

Vanity Fair has released its 2012 International best dressed list which includes dull dresser H.R.H The Duchess of Cambridge, Jay-Z, Alicia Keys, Fan Bingbing, and Victor Cruz. They seem to have forgotten to add Solange Knowles to the list, so I’m just going to assume it’s incomplete. (Vanity Fair)

• Here’s an unexpected designer collab: Diane Von Furstenberg is joining forces with surf brand Roxy on a swimwear capsule called DVF loves Roxy. The lauded designer will place her signature prints on Roxy’s swimsuits, cover-ups, beach bags, board shorts, and rash guards with prices ranging from $38 to $88.(WWD)

Ebony Magazine is looking for Fashion and Beauty interns for the Fall 2012 semester. The internship will begin in August and end in December. All applicants must be able to commit to 2-3 days a week, and be eligible to receive school credit. This is a very hands-on internship, with duties including organizing the fashion & beauty closets, assisting with story and photo research, assisting with fact checking and credits, and so much more. The internship does not include writing and/or styling tasks. Interested? Send your resume, cover, and availability to styleintern.ebonymag@gmail.com

• The L’Oreal Hair & Makeup Room has been a staple on Project Runway for years, and now the  brand is releasing a capsule inspired by the show. The line is broken up into four smaller sets including two nail polishes, a lipstick, lip gloss, blush, and eyeshadow palette. Look for the range in stores this October! (Racked)

• And just for fun, here is Team USA gymnast Gabby Douglas doing a Dougie of sorts after qualifying for the All-Round final. (YouTube)

~Jihan

24 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: Fashion Director Elliana Placas Leaves Essence, Ebony Magazine Needs Fall 2012 Interns, and Gabby Douglas Does The Dougie”

1. Yikes says:

Jay-Z and Alicia Keys as best dressed? Hmmm. They’re both great musicians but someone needs to remind these editors that fame, wealth and style are not synonymous.

2. Shawn says:

love the dress and shoes…werq Alicia!

3. soon2Bmrs says:

Nah to Alicia being on that list.

4. metoo247 says:

I’m officially convinced that these people buy their way on these “best” lists. C’mon…Alicia Keys….she cant dress for ish. And Jay-Z’s old behind needs to go sit somewhere and play daddy. Boo!

5. 11 Reasons says:

gabby’s dougie looked painful! lol Yawn to the best dressed list. project Runway inspired nail polish? I want. I knew Placas reign wouldn’t last. But who reads Essence for fashion? Better yet, who reads Essence? I don’t. They always have “whoa is me, black woman” articles. I come HERE to keep up with fashion. “tis all.

6. Marsha D says:

Alicia Keys?? Best dressed??? I’m going to drink myself into a drunken, stumbling stupor….what has the world come to….I give up…

7. Claire says:

That Dougie killed me!!!! Dying. #dead

8. soon2Bmrs says:

Ok, I just watched the Dougie clip. Lmaooooo @11reasons. Bless her heart.

9. Chris styles says:

Um what kinda Dougie was that!? LML Congrats to Gabby she’s definitely rep pin the US well.
    And Vanity Fairs best Dressed list is a joke.
    Essence fell off a long time ago ..lay before they brought this new editor on board, smdh…I will not be renewing my subscription …I’ll be replacing it w Ebony :)

10. The need to ball that best dressed list up and start over! Alicia Keys? The Dutchess? I think not. Was that the Dougie or a seizure? I can’t!

11. PriinceCharmming says:

that best dressed list in VERY inaccurate!!

12. LaTasha says:

Alicia Keyes for best dressed? Did I miss something? And bless that chile heart who thought she was doing the dougie”of sorts.”

13. Niara says:

Where is the Ebony mag. internship located? Chicago or Ny?

14. Dobe says:

I still laugh so hard when I watch Gabby do her “happy dance” (cuz we sure can’t call that the “Dougie”). This was when she made the Olympic team, not when she most recently qualified for the all-round final… I was waiting to see what she would do then, lol! Very happy for her, dance capabilities aside :)

15. Ericku says:

I was scared to press the play button and now I know why……. Someone please teach that baby how to Dougie!! Lol

16. itsjustme says:

ALICIA KEEEEEEYS!?!?! *lil john voice* WHUT?!

lmao @ gabby’s dance.

17. Sticky-n-Sweet says:

I concur…Alicia Keys on the Best Dressed List?! Maybe her husband, but not her…

18. Chimee says:

I am in tears laughing at her doing the Dougie! Someone need to teach her how to Dougie for real!! Lmao

19. Shelly says:

That must be how they do the dougie in Iowa, lol. Bless her heart, smh, lol.

20. MEME says:

That Vanity Fair list is a joke, Kate Middleton is overrated, she dresses like someone’s grandma. Jay-Z and Alicia Keys being on that list is a joke as well.

21. Tell Em says:

If anyone knows Elliana, she was nasty catty and well racist. A grossly exploitative under-miner, on a good day. She never understood the Essence brand and never acknowledged the Essence culture. Say what you want but Essence was around and is still around when we can only see faces of color as maids or as weave snatching reality stars. Elliana and her assistant had a holier than thou, I’m doing you colored folk a favor attitude and let’s not forget her attempt to keep her staff free of color. It was one of Angela’s biggest mistakes.

22. Katie says:

People still read those anti-black woman misogynist rag magazines?

23. Angel says:

That was the worst rendition of the Dougie I think I’ll ever have the displeasure of seeing…but go Gabby!

24. Kahalia says:

@Tell Em, Calling her racist is a little to broad a brush to paint with and gives Essence no credit. I agree with your sentiments about weave snatching reality stars though. Essence is a good place to see Black women represented in a positive light…

Yay for CLAIRE commenting! I see you Prez.