July 30th, 2012
Celebrity Style, Fashion Bomb 101
Fashion Bomb 101: 5 Wardrobe Tips for Thick, Curvy Chicks

In an e-mail titled, “Clothes for Thick Girls”, Jennifer writes, “Hello Claire, I wanted to know if you could do a special piece on clothes for girls with athletic bodies. By athletic, I mean women shaped similar to you: broad shoulders, large chest, toned arms and legs, average waist. I am the same shape and I have the hardest time looking feminine in my clothes due to my broadness. Please Help!”
If you need tips on dressing for an athletic body, visit our post Fashion Bomb 101: How to dress for an Athletic Body Type. If you’re more on the curvy side with athletic traits (i.e busty with toned legs and arms), read on for a few tips and tricks I lean on:

1. Blazers are your besties

Though blazers can upgrade any woman’s look, blazers work particularly well for women with full breasts, as they minimize your bust and, if buttoned, cinch in at your waist to create an hourglass shape. You may recall, Kim K (pre Kanye) used to have a uniform of blazers and skinny jeans. Why? Because it works. It’ll work for you, too.

Get the look here:

2. Slip on a shift

You’ll do best in pieces that are tailored and form fitting, which nip in at the waist, adhere to your hips, and fall over your thighs.

If you’re a tad more busty, A-line shapes can work as well. Fill your closet with a mixture of A-line and pencil options:

3. Use Belts to Define Your Waistline

It’s super important to create an hourglass shape! It’s feminine, alluring, and will ultimately balance out your top and bottom half. Slip a belt on at your natural waist to truly emphasize your enviable curves.

Blogger Gabi Gregg from GabiFresh.com

Find belts at any price point below:

4. Make Sure You’re Supported

For me, that means limited strapless dresses, backless tops, or anything that could leave me caught out there. I used to get down with the strapless, but the girls just aren’t having it anymore. Just make sure whatever top you wear can cover up those bra straps (Halters? Yes. Backless? Not so much)! Also, embrace shape wear if you need it and get fitted for a proper bra.

Find a few options here:

5. Keep an eye peeled for V-Necks

V neck tops lengthen the neckline and elongate your frame. Of course you don’t want to wear a v-neck so low you’re spilling out, but a reasonable V can work wonders. Another great ‘v’ option would be anything with a wrap effect. You get the double whammy of an accentuated waist and a V. Look out for wrap tops and wrap dresses.

Get a flurry of v neck tops and dresses here:

In general, you want to make sure your looks are clipped and tailored. And just know that the waist has it. As long as you cinch it in, you’re #winning.
Do you guys have any additional tips?
Smootches!

21 Responses to “Fashion Bomb 101: 5 Wardrobe Tips for Thick, Curvy Chicks”

1. yusufswifee says:

claire, you are breaking my heart by saying you have given up on the strapless dresses…even after introducing us to the fantasie bra…TAKE IT BACK :-(!!!

2. Claire says:

@yusufswifee I think you can still get away with a strapless, I just know that for me personally, it’s not the most flattering silhouette anymore. I’m also edging at an H cup. Fantasie bras are great and that’s not to say I 100% wouldn’t wear a strapless. It’s just my body has changed. When I was a C/D cup…sure. I’m in the mid letters now and it’s best if I steer away. But that’s not to say you can’t. Just wear a good bra!

3. lolodoll11 says:

Great post! I definitely fall into this category and live by just about all of these rules.

4. 11 Reasons says:

this was really helpful. I’m curvy but have a few athletic body parts lol (my waist is much narrower than my bust and hips)

I dread that I cant wear backless dresses and only certain strapless looks can i pull off with a 36 DDD bra size.

Tip for women with large breasts, Victoria’s Secret isn’t for us! find a boutique undergarmet place (JuneMay is my fave) the bras usually cost on average what you would pay at VS but they are much more supportive and just as “sexy”

5. OpenSctrip says:

Love this post! I try to adhere to all those rules but I do love my backless tops or halters for the summer, I have a bra that I bought that has an attachment it, so the straps don’t appear. I’m a 36DD but I guess if you’re a bigger size than that it might be harder to wear.

6. Bay2thaATL says:

I am a miniature version of this body type. I agree with the no strapless tops suggestion. If you have broad shoulders and narrow hips – this style can be unflattering because it can accentuate the wideness of your shoulders. No one wants to look like a linebacker. Excellent suggestions all around Claire!

7. binks says:

Great post! I generally follows these rules anyway but when I do decide to wear strapless I try to find a dress that is built like a corset so I can still have the support and the look. Though I haven’t managed backless yet :(

8. Marsha D says:

No way for me to spaghetti straps , halter, strapless and backless. I’m a 40DD and because I’m a little wide in the bust area it looks like I’m spilling out. Hate hate hate side boobage and underarm spillage. Cinching the waist is key but I’ve notice my shape has changed and I’m losing my hips so I have a boxy look. I only wear skirts and dresses so how can I keep from looking like Sherry Shepard? Love her but she looks like an ice cream cone :-/

9. Taj says:

This is a great post and very informative.

10. Amour says:

These tips are great and GabiFresh is Valid!

11. yusufswifee says:

I am double H after having my son and the fantasie still serves me well but I hesitate to wear it with fitted tops….thanks for clarifying. I feel better now.

wonderful tips as usual.:-)

Just read the rest of the comments…my heart breaks again. All you DD or DDD get to Nordstorms for a fitting. You may be surprised…Vickies will put you in a 38 DD when you wear 34HH. Thank me later

@11 reasons will check that site out.

12. whatevs says:

athletic???

13. Kay says:

Love your dress Claire! Very helpful post for us curvy girls ;-)

14. Thank you, thank you, thank you Claire! I’ve always struggled with figuring out how to dress this crazy body of mine, and this post has really given me my “ah-ha!” moment. I just discovered the beauty of belts for figures like ours. Now I just need to add more to my small collection.

Thanks for giving me a reason to shop–but this time, the pieces I’ll buy will flatter my figure like never before!

15. zona says:

I used to boast being an hour glass figure but now that I’m a mum I seem to have lost the cinched waist and that sucks big time. But hey I’m not one to be in denial, I am a DD so I rock it with pride. Good support is key. I must hook up good Spanx though…lol…otherwise judging from the advice you’ve just given it’s safe to say “I got this”
    mhwaaah

Thanks again for a great post

xoxo

16. mamareese says:

Hey anybody have any other suggestions for strapless. Top heavy and I don’t get the same “perky D” effect. Have tons of strapless dresses that I wear with blazer because I don’t want to sag…..other than duct tape…help!

17. Naturally_Jen says:

I love this!! I have a short torso & long legs…and a 36G. I stay away from anything strapless and very few halters. After having 2 children, I am curvier in places I was not before. I have problems with blazers becuz of my bust , a med doesn’t fit my bust & a large is too big & boxy…but everything else thumbs up.

18. Claire says:

@Naturally_Jen I used to have the same issue with blazers. A size 10 was too tight, 12 seemed big. I’d recommend you get a a large size, then get it tailored down. I get practically everything tailored now. Store sizes are so arbitrary. Clothes look best when they’re tailored to your measurements exactly. X

19. Naturally_Jen says:

P.S…..I find that I am shaped like Demetria Lucas (A Belle in Brooklyn) I find her style to be inspirational. I love her!!

20. Jennifer says:

Thanks so much for responding to my question. Great advice!

21. cocoshan says:

This is me all day. Thanks for this!