July 25th, 2012
Black Designers, Indie Designer, Lookbook, You Should Know
Lookbook: Busayo Fall 2012

One of my favorite contemporary African brands, Busayo, recently updated their stock of lustworthy printed dresses, rompers, and jackets, offering a few more options for the upcoming fall months.

Take a gander at what they have on tap for this autumn. Get your wish lists ready!

Laoye Blazer, $275
Olowo Dress, $250
Soji Skirt, $165
Feyisayo Jumper, $225
Ondo Dress, $185
Nike Skirt, $125
Oronsen Jumper, $185

I’ve got my eye fixed on a few pieces, particularly those blazer and romper moments. Love!
What do you think?
See more and purchase at www.busayonyc.com.

13 Responses to “Lookbook: Busayo Fall 2012”

1. I love African prints. I’m an artist and much of my work is surrounded by the use of African prints. I do not see how this line particularly translates into “FALL”. I would have liked to see longer hemlines and some of the silhouettes look a little matronly to me. The light denim, screams summer. I would have loved to a peplum in collection. I like the berry and navy blazer as the colors are right on for FALL2012, but the shape is off to me. All in all, I think this line has a lot of potential to grow.

2. lana says:

Not really feeling it. Claire, have you seen the new christie brown collection? Amazing!

3. Tola says:

the use of white woman in african prints is no longer exotic, its just stale. plus i think that if african designers are going to be a force in the industry, they need to see it as just that -take our models and everyone else creative and put them to work and build an empire. i dont understand the phantom of the opera theme.

4. Claire says:

@Iana No, I haven’t, but will check it out!

5. josephine says:

Its funny how they bring the price up to more than 100dollars but if you were to actually go to an african country and get your own design made including the cost of the fabric it would cost you less than fricking 40bucks. sadness really -__-

6. As a designer of African clothing, I love to read the comments here to see what you like and don’t like. But honestly, do you know how much cheaper clothes are from H&M if you went to China and got it from the manufacturer? Our prices really aren’t that bad for a business. Although mine are significantly less than this designer, I think people need to either get over the markup or really spend the $1500 on a ticket and roll to West Africa themselves.

7. Busayo says:

Thank you Shelby. Appreciate all the comments, building a business is not simply grabbing fabrics and having someone tailor it. I design many of the batik fabrics that you see, there is a good amount of work and resources that goes into building the business. My prices are certainly not outrageous compared to similar brands. With regards to the models, I believe that my clothing works on every woman and I change it up every season. Thanks again for the comments.

8. Melisa says:

boring….bla bla…tired of all these african print brands.

9. Melisa says:

Plus the models should be black or ethnic, would look better….

10. Jo says:

A ticket to west africa certainly doesnt cost $1500 dont over exagerate hun :)

11. E says:

Excuse me Jo, it costs more. She is not exaggerating. You seem to think that because it’s a ticket to West Africa, it shouldn’t cost much. It costs me an average of $2000 to fly home to Nigeria. Please do your research.

12. KoKo says:

@Jo- From Miami it is

13. A says:

“Over exaggerate” is such an annoying grammatical error. If you don’t know why…well.

Independent fashion is as much art as it is fashion. Rules about color and season may be applicable in mainstream fashion, but that clearly is not what this line is about. If you need someone to tell you what to wear when, you can go anywhere from JCrew to Gucci. If you want an artistic piece that speaks to you culturally you can buy Busayo.