July 17th, 2012
Beauty, Beyonce, Celebrity Style, Hair, Hot or Hmm
Hot! or Hmm…: Beyoncé’s Blonde Box Braids
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

House of Deréon overlord King Bey was spotted last night at Nas‘s Life is Good party rocking a new, yet all-too-familiar ‘do. The singer is taking us back to her Destiny’s Child days, sporting a set of long, blonde box braids.

I think it’s kinda nice to see Bey serve her retro signature hairstyle. We know her younger sister Solange is a fan of the look, and has been rocking some mile-long box braids as of late.

Oddly enough, I’ve been entertaining the possibility of getting blonde box braids for the past few weeks! Wow, do great minds think alike, or do they just think like me? :)

Anyway, what do you think of Beyoncé’s look?

~Jihan

photos: Beylite Instagram, Latest Bey News Facebook

Posted In
53 comments

53 Responses to “Hot! or Hmm…: Beyoncé’s Blonde Box Braids”

1. ms.teach says:

I am getting mine on Thursday can not wait!!!!

2. Mesa says:

I like it… Hell it is summer who wants to go around with a hot ass weave lol shoot in ready to take mine out lol

3. SHAQ NICHOLE says:

Mmm…not feeling this look on her. It definitely suits Solange better. I guess she’s trying to give her hair a rest. I’m not mad at her though

4. Yep says:

Hot, Hot, HOT!!! They show great CULTURE, and finally a CHANGE from her. I doubt it will be something she keeps for a long while but I still think they look nice. Big boxed braids are the least expected thing of the Beyonce we’ve come to know in recent years. I think it’s a great way to shake things up!

looks like pictures from the 90´s

6. Maria says:

I’m currently rocking box braids and I am in love with them. Unfortunately, I am just not a fan of this look on Beyonce.

Maybe it’s just a little to funky for her…she’s usually more glamorous. But I can’t be mad at the girl for trying. Box braids are the BIDniss!!!

7. BeeJayCee says:

I love it! Its definitely a throwback for Queen Bey tho, but I’m feeling it. Braids will never go out of style! The easiest hairstyle to maintain and it helps protect and promote growth! I’ll always rock my braids!

8. kay says:

I cant get behind these ladies. In the words of the illustrious poet laureate Stacy “Fergie” Ferguson, “so 2000-and late.”

9. Joanne_ says:

you know what, she’s done this before so it shouldn’t bother us that she’s only serving what she once did to us again. do i like the look on her now? no. does it matter whether i like it? no. if bey loves it, i say go her! =)

10. Jules says:

Jihan…..are your serious???? Is Beyonce really bringing a classic back? Maybeeeee, perhaps Solange or even Jada. Lets give credit where credit is due. Thank you in advance.

11. Siyam says:

the photos just don’t look like her… I mean, even the closer-up photos make me think she’s rocking dark lipliner and a light gloss ( which I doubt) and the shot from the back could be anybody. I guess if it is her then go for it. It’s hot and I’m sure as new mommy it would be nice to have a hairstyle that doesn’t require too much maintenance.

12. Jaslene says:

They look a mess.

13. Ginger says:

Not ya’ll posting up screen-caps tho.

I swear blogs are now becoming message board, this is the type of blurry pics we post on Bey board, Stan Stuff, blogs are taking everything.

*sigh* Us stans can’t have anything to ourselves anymore….

Her braids are HOT btw, Bey can wear any hairstyle she is absolutely GORGEOUS!!!!

14. Erin says:

Did you guys really capture screen caps from a video and post it? Like seriously? She obviously didn’t want to be bothered.

15. Libby says:

Blonde braids are ugly point blank period

16. babloo says:

Maybe when you will post nice images I can judge her…

17. Frieda K says:

Got my box braids done 3 weeks ago… I loooove them, guys looooove them (they keep complaining about weave hair – lol). No hassle, get up, go, look cute.

Braids never go out of style. Those are Fresh

19. chrissy says:

Classic in the sense that she rocked braids pretty much for the entire first half of her career. Pump your breaks its not that deep. Wayyy Before Her incredibly fashionable SIS had everyone drooling over her look. she’s not trying to take that away from her.

20. LaTasha says:

I love her braids. I’m thinking about getting some before summer is over.

21. Jihan says:

folks, these are the only photos available. as you will see, they were posted on other media outlets, since Beyonce was not voluntarily taking pictures last night.

22. HavilandClarke says:

Its funny how the masses always think something is out of style when a celebrity is not rocking it. But in truth celebrities and their stylists (hair and wardrobe) get their “inspirations” from us regular folk walking down the street. Bottomline is braids never really went out of style.

23. Desiree says:

It’s a Hmmm for me. It reminds of her destiny child days.

24. Truth Teller says:

idk but it looks off on her maybe cornrows? or a different color? or maybe nboth either way this is a HMMMMMMMMMM

25. Truth Teller says:

I WISH THE PIC WAS CLEARER SO THAT I CAN JUDGE IT BETTER

26. Tia says:

Jihan… please do not do the blonde box braids boo… get color 4! lmaooo.

27. Kitana says:

Bey looks great w/box braids! Happy to see more and more black women embracing natural hairstyles that speak to OUR culture. Nothing at all wrong w/weaves or relaxers this is just refreshing to see….

Heck, with this 100-degree weather, I don’t blame her! It’s HOT! & Bey can rock pretty much ANY style. She looks great! : )

29. lola says:

We need HQ pics to make a fair judgement but Bey always look cute in braids. Remember the Say my name days?

30. Apple says:

It may look better in a bun but that ponytail looks horrid in my opinion.

31. Ms.Missy says:

Hmmm….I get Solange n her box braids, its sooo her “Natural” thing.

Um.. 2012 BEYONCE,um no! it was her look when she was younger in DC..

**personally I would like to see Beyonce is a thinned out looong soft body wave hair w/oubre

32. Savage says:

Its just hair, I say go for it..Plus its hot as balls in corduroy pants so all that hair makes it worse! I’m constantly tempted to shave my head! nd we all know Bey is taking care of hair..Does she even have a relaxer? lol

33. anon says:

All I can think about is how much their necks must hurt. I’ve had Senegalese twists down to the waist before and the braids are heavy. They’re heavy if you wear them up. They’re heavy if you wear them down and frankly it’s just too much hair. I can’t imagine that those box braids are comfortable. Maybe they’re used to them.

34. Tiara says:

Im not upset at the braids i’m mad at the hair she used. It looks really cheap. Hopefully the picture isn’t doing it justice.

35. t-fal says:

I like the style, but not on her……maybe it is the hair that she used or the color.

36. EshaDiva says:

I actually like it a lot but since when is this Bey’s “signature” hairstyle? last time I checked this was Patra’s signature style…

37. Indigo says:

From what i see in these blurry pics!! Those braids look ratty and cheap! ILL

38. Stephanie says:

That doesn’t look like Beyonce’s profile. Looks like some chola wanna be grandma with box braids.

39. Tamara says:

I think the brashy blonde is what I don’t like. I know she’s just matching the hair color she wears but I don’t like them.

40. BlkRose says:

A MESS.

41. Alison DiLaurentis says:

Now watch all the sad sheeps starting to rock those hideous braids just to follow their idol…smh.
    But I love the no make-up look on her.

42. Joi says:

Was she attending a costume party, cause her eyebrows, hair, and lip liner is true hood style. It’s really bad.

43. These pics aren’t bright enough for me to get a real feel for the look, but I feel like it gets a hmm just off GP. Maybe I’m wrong.

44. Jojo says:

Are all the people hating on Jihan for posting this pic on Bey’s personal PR team? Then chill

The pic is too dark to judge. I have waist long senegalese twists and I love them! They maybe my signature style for awhile

46. cecile says:

a definite hmmmm for me, if the braids were actually plaited all the way down to the ends i would like it much better.

47. point de couture says:

I don’t like that look on her at all it looks better on her sister.

48. Elle C says:

I love them on her. I have some as well. Nothing feels better than to not worry about your hair in the morning…

49. Jannelle Marie says:

I also prefer it on Solange.

50. Taryn Nicole says:

Don’t give credit for the box braids to Bey when her sister made more of a statement with them. I’m doing my braids again this weekend, but now it’s going to annoy me since I’m sure lots of followers are going to run and get them or say I’m trying to copy Bey. Ugh. Btw, they don’t look good on her. Eh, whatever makes her happy though.