July 10th, 2012
Fashion, Party, Shopping, Style Inspiration, What to Wear
Style Inspiration: What to Wear to an 80′s Party
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

Alia writes, “ I will be going to a 80’s party soon and I was wondering if I could get some suggestions on what to wear?”

Oh, the 80’s… Home to big hair, high top fades, and neon everything. Let’s try to recreate some of that jazz, shall we?

First up, I decided to put together something on the sexier side. I kept it relatively simple with the black spaghetti strap dress, but uplifted the look with the Juicy Couture neon orange blazer.

I then decided to include a hot pair of patent leather pumps from Vince Camuto. Next, the gold plated earrings because it wouldn’t be the 80’s without these. Complete the look with a yellow bag from Aldo, blue eyeshadow, and it’s time to party.

For the second look, I toned down the colors a notch. I incorporated a white crop top, with a black bodycon skirt from Topshop.

The metallic blue pumps look great against the black and white garments. Accessorize with a rope chain and bamboo earrings (remember these? I’ll shamefully admit I had a pair with my name written on it in high school). Throw your lipstick and other necessities into this geometric shaped purse, and you’re set.

Last, but certainly not least, I took a fun and cute approach. In the 80’s it was all about MTV, and this crop top tee comes complete with the vintage logo.

I paired the tee with pink cycling shorts. I then gave you the option of orange Reebok sneakers or yellow heels; hopefully one or the other tickles your fancy. Paint your nails a fun purple, put on these lightning strike earrings, your neon bag, and you’re good!

I’ve been to my fair share of 80’s parties and have seen each of these looks represented to some degree. Did my options help? Check back in with us at thefashionbomb@gmail.com, with photos of how you interpreted this style inspiration. Have fun!

~Cliché

22 Responses to “Style Inspiration: What to Wear to an 80′s Party”

1. Asia says:

Love all the accessories

2. Kitty B. says:

You may see me rocking the 3rd look on nice casual day of shopping, but thats just me…play with me!

Love it Cliche :)

3. hayilabc says:

such cute looks!

4. Ha Ha whoever did this post, ha ha ha must have been born after the 80′s cause doll this is SO NOT IT. We had fun in the 80′s. The Reeboks are the only item that remind me of the 80′s. Google it! I may have bite this post and create some 80 inspired looks.

5. e says:

yes look 2 &3 are very cute and 80′s

6. Resopym7@verizon.net says:

The first two looks are off! There was alot of color, shoulder pads, and angles in the 80′s

7. a gem says:

Look up jazmine Sullivan’s “holdin you down” video for more inspiration

8. Andrea says:

Not very 80′s.

9. Rebekah says:

I like all. These are party options, and I remember the 80′s for having big earrings, rope chains, and bright colors. Most of you forget this is inspiration, style to your liking. As for me, I want that MTV shirt.

10. Tai says:

I wish I was going to an 80′s party, I would rock the last one with my hair in a high side pony tail lol! Love the looks Cliche!

11. Nakia P says:

Cliche, these looks are great and so appropriate, totally had me remembering a time in my life when I didnt have a care in the world!

12. t-fal says:

I’m not really digging these looks, but I like that MTV tshirt and that neon aldo bag.

13. LawyerChic says:

These looks are very understated for an 80s party, but I’d wear them on a regular day!

14. Tammy M. says:

I agree these looks are a little too modern for the 1980′s babys. This was the greed era, stockbrokers on wall streets with suits, the eruption of hip-hop b-boys and girls. Sorry , try again.

15. binks says:

Well I’ am a 90′s baby and don’t remember to much of the 80s but I would say these do look a tab bit more 90ish than 80′s but the looks are still cute.

16. Jennifer says:

For an 80s party:
    1) Watch old episodes of (or Google shots from) Dallas, The Cosby Show, and Different Strokes.
    2) Head STRAIGHT to your local thrift store.

Look 3 is SO it, lol–especially with the Reeboks. Rock L1 with massive shoulder pads & L2 with a massive perm (or wet & wavy).

17. Cliche says:

Thanks for the feedback, all!. I wanted to include some pieces that could be worn again. In my opinion, there is nothing worse than purchasing an item that you can only going to wear once. Thanks again! :)

18. Marsha D says:

These looks are great for a modern twist to 80′s fashion! I wouldn’t dare wear half the sh*t I wore in the 80′s but I would rock each and every look above. Some trends are best left in their respective decade…..Very nice Cliche…..from a totally 80′s girl :-)

19. I totally agree with Marsha. The looks are just fine for an 80′s party, you are supposed to take inspiration from the looks not copy them piece by piece.

20. Vick says:

Not something I would wear to an 80′s party but I like the looks a everyday look

21. Catelin says:

More so 90s than 80s

22. Tanya says:

O’ the last look with the mtv tee and orange shoes…its so refreshing and so very me !!! The pink cycling shorts add that funk and tango to the entire look.