July 2nd, 2012
Concert, Shopping, Style Inspiration, What to Wear
Style Inspiration: What to Wear to the Essence Music Festival
By Cliche

Nicole writes,  “Let me start off by saying I absolutely LOVE your website. I will be attending the Essence Music Festival for the first time and wanted your suggestions on what to wear to the concerts, day parties, and other events. Looking for something comfortable (I hear there is tons of walking) but edgy and sexy at the same time.”

Hey, Nicole! Okay, so to my understanding it usually gets pretty hot during the Essence Music Festival. I wanted to suggest outfits that a functional in their ability to keep you cool, and that could also transition from day to night for a plethora of  events.

First up, I included this long dip hem dress. The color is vivid and right on trend. Your legs can get some breeze as you slip into this fun number.

I then coupled the dress with this Kenneth Cole New York “Modern Blanc” statement necklace. To keep the comfort and ease going, throw on this pair of Tory Burch sandals that complement the sunglasses. In the spirit of bold colors, carry this purple clutch that’s a $33 steal from ASOS. Finally, when the night falls, make the switch into an ankle strap sandal.

Next up, I decided to give your legs even more air time. By pairing this blouse, with a hot pair of floral shorts from Topshop, that feat is easily accomplished.

Keeping up with the theme of comfort, I again added in a pair of flat sandals, this time from Steve Madden. I then accessorized the look with a watch, a round frame pair of shades, and a crossbody bag from Calvin Klein. Later on, switch into those blue strappy sandals, that help bring out the blue in the shorts.

For the third look I went for a cute white playsuit.

I wanted to offset the femininity of the playsuit with edgier pieces. I included a Marc by Marc Jacobs gold bracelet, square oversized sunglasses, and pyramid earrings. Keep your feet at ease in a pair of Dolce Vita Archer Flat Sandals, and your bare necessities in this coral purse. When you’re ready to take the look to new heights, put on these wedges.

What do you think, Nicole? I have been dying to attend the Essence Music Festival, and hope you know I will be living vicariously through you! Have fun!

~Cliché

11 Responses to “Style Inspiration: What to Wear to the Essence Music Festival”

1. live laugh love says:

Love the last look the best! But would wear them all :)

2. kimberlyn says:

Love the second and third look!!

3. ItSally says:

Love the second look!

4. Jennifer R says:

Excellent choices! This is my 4th year attending and you definitely want to wear comfortable shoes and the heat is no joke! I wouldn’t recommend transitioning an outfit from day to night. It’s way to hot to wear the same thing all day….but maybe that’s just me. I sweat like a pig and would definitely need to shower and change before heading out at night.

5. yusufswifee says:

Yep…you will be changing your clothes and taking a shower….dont forget the umbrella…

6. Nicole says:

Love it all!

7. binks says:

A+ for all the looks and they are dead on because it is HOT as hell down here…lol But I would say skip the heels and go for wedges personally, but my favorite is number 3

8. ladyluo says:

I like the last two looks and definitely with flats not heels

9. wish-fashion says:

What a precious dress! I love it.

10. t-fal says:

great looks! I agree, day to night won’t happen, it’s too hot and sticky. A small umbrella that fits into a clutch is a must!