June 30th, 2012
Style Inspiration, What to Wear
Style Inspiration: What to Wear on the 4th of July

Though Intern 1 aka Cliché came up with some great outfit ideas for what to wear on the 4th of July, I figured you can never get enough stars and stripes inspired style!
Our nation’s independence day is next week, and whether you’re going for cool and patriotic or fancy and understated, these three looks should have you covered.

The first look kicks off with American Flag shorts paired with a simple white tank and classic Chuck Taylors. Add a dash of funk with a Melody Ehsani Queen of the Jungle Necklace and bright red nails.

If you want to go for a wee bit more dressed up, opt for a statement shoe. I am *obsessed* with these Nicholas Kirkwood Patent leather-trimmed satin sandals:

Since they’re a lot, go for subtle with a Topshop bustier top and navy shorts. Finish off with a small Coach purse. And if you’re not in the mood for heels, you can always go with a cute flat, like this option by Giuseppe Zanotti:

More in the mood for something elegant? Slip on an easy red jumpsuit, like this option by Catherine Malandrino, buttressed by chic blue pumps.

Keep it cool with a neutral purse, a gold cuff, and simple hoops:

Get more American Flag paraphernalia here:

Which would you rock?
If you need more outfit ideas, check out Cliché’s archived post or be further inspired by these flag waving celebs:

In case you end up wearing one of our outfit ideas, let us know! Send your picture to thefashionbomb@gmail.com and we’ll feature you.
Smootches!

25 Responses to “Style Inspiration: What to Wear on the 4th of July”

1. Wishing there were more options for plus. Sounds like I might have to DIY some stuff this year.

2. Jocelyn says:

Oh to be able to wear American-themed shorts without looking like a walrus~

3. Faith says:

That Catherine Malandrino jumpsuit is SO chic!

4. Savage says:

Oh and Target has some as well..ut bc I’m sure everyone and thier chic Mama will be wearing those shorts I’m opting for a red summer dress..Take me from day to nite.

5. Martinique_Fr says:

Loving all three combos… but #2 is more up my alley. Those Nicholas Kirkwood sandals are HOT!

6. EntertainmentsFuture says:

All of the options are definitely on point!!!

7. Likkle Miss says:

I have those exact american flag shorts and I love em!

8. Nakia P says:

Love the red jumpsuit….a beautiful piece that can be worn so many ways.

9. Jampress says:

Love alll the options.

Savage is right. Target has flag shorts for $17.99…

10. Tessa B says:

As bad as I want those short, I know EVERYONE will have those on….and Ciara looks very masculine in that pic???

11. Dion says:

dead @ Eat.Style.Play and Jocelyn! Ladies everytime I see these style inspirations I also wish they include a plus size opition. Joy Adaeze, the guest stylist does a great job of including us! Claire pretty please dont forget us thick’ems :)

12. Crystal says:

Is the point of these posts not to inspire? Meaning you can then put together your own looks in your own size. I don’t think Claire’s intentions are for us to literally buy exactly what she’s posted in the exact sizes she’s posted. (I’m not trying to speak for you Clarie, sorry). Anyway, I do have a flag tee and I would wear it any day except the 4th of July, just seems so cheesy. Look # 2 is cayute! I thought that was a jumpsuit at first glance.

13. Shelly says:

@ Crystal

I totally agree. I used to have a negative view about some of these types of posts too, because the pieces were SOOOO expensive. But then she explained how the pieces she puts up there were just to give an idea (or to inspire) a look, not to copy it exactly.

With that said, I love all of the ideas, especially the more casual ones. Nothing says summer/fourth of July to me like some cutoff shorts, a cute tee, and of course, some bar-b-que…and fireworks!

14. TheFav1 says:

Look #2 is sooooo me!!!! I’m wearing that minus the Nicholas Kirkwood shoes that I dream of that are as much as my rent…*sigh*

15. Dee says:

Omg! Love em all!

16. binks says:

Cute! I love 1 and 2.

17. makeeasweet says:

@Crystal

so sad that you have to explain that to people.i never buy anything from fashion bomb links,because i like to try my clothes on before i buy.i just go out to the mall and find something similar.

18. dyshaun says:

So glad to see Claire doing what to wears still. Love your style Claire.

19. Caley Ann says:

I like the first two looks. The first one is perfect for a bbq.

20. anajeli says:

I love it!!!

21. Claire says:

Hey! My apologies for not including plus sized options. The reason I don’t include ‘em in the collages is because most plus sized items are on models online, which means it won’t work with the types of collages we do (and options are limited for illustration). But that doesn’t mean I can’t include a widget at the end featuring plus sized options. Duly noted for next time!
    And yes, as @Crystal stated, these are meant to inspire–anyone can recreate these looks in any myriad of ways. Thanks!
    C

22. Sunglasses says:

The first collection is better. Everything but not the necklace in the collection is awesome. I feel such dresses don’t require any necklace. However, I like most the shorts, converse and the sunglasses. Instead of such big bag, I like to carry a parse.

23. Dion says:

Thanks Claire! and I understand its an Inspiration, ladies, what I am saying is the same way she posts more affordable versions of it in the small sizes, the same can be done for plus size thats all :)

24. krystel says:

I often wonder why shorts are so expensive? Any shorts within the 60-500 dollar range is just absurd in my humble opinion.