June 29th, 2012
Fashion News, Kanye West, Solange Knowles
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

• The folks over at Ford Models want to know if Kanye West is planning on diving into men’s fashion. The agency took to Twitter to ponder, “Is Kanye also doing a menswear show this week in Paris?” The ladies over at Fashionista are suspicious. Ford Models isn’t exactly the sort of establishment prone to starting false rumors, and Kanye West was spotted visiting label A.P.C’s studios on his recent trip to Paris. Hmm… If this is true, I think Kanye might be better at designing (or at least overseeing the design process for) menswear. What do you think? Do you want to see a Kanye Men’s label? (Fashionista)

• It is confirmed: Lady Gaga will cover Vogue‘s upcoming September issue. This will be the pop singer’s second cover for the glossy. Other faces we’ll see on the newsstands in September: Nicole Kidman for V and Emma Stone for Interview (Styleite)

Sarah Jessica Parker and Victoria Beckham are indeed not collaborating on a clothing line together. We relayed the rumor to you guys yesterday, and today, Vogue UK confirmed the story was just that. (Vogue UK)

• In honor of their upcoming musical, Viva Forever!, The Spice Girls are auctioning off a few of their old costumes. We’re talking iconic Spice Girls pieces some of us may or may not have tried to recreate for ’90s themed parties in college. *Sigh*, if only I had the money! In the meantime, watch the Girls chat about the new musical, alongside writer Jennifer Saunders and producer Judy Craymer. Here’s hoping Viva Forever! makes its stateside debut in the near future! (Global Grind)

• Nordstrom is finally coming to Manhattan(!)… in 2018. The department store plans to open a flagship location on the New York City Isle on 57th street near 7th avenue. (Reuters)

• PETA is once again up in arms over a trifle. This time the animal rights organization is upset over Mary Kate and Ashley‘s exorbitantly priced (that’s $17,000!) patchwork animal fur bag for The Row Pre-Fall 2012. They built a whole flash-heavy webpage denouncing the “Trollsen Twins,” (whom they call Hairy-Kate and Trashley), complete with a video and a game in which you can dress the sisters up in (dead) exotic skins.“If it looks like a troll and acts like a troll, it’s probably a Trollsen Twin—or someone wearing one of their new $16,000 totes, which are made from the fur and skins of innocent animals,” PETA told E! News“What the Olsens lack in creativity, they try to make up for in shock value. Sadly, it’s the foxes, calves, and alligators—who often have the fur ripped off them while they are still conscious and able to feel pain—who pay the dearest price.” Blah blah blah. Perhaps they took time to make a statement over this non-issue because they ran out of animals to euthanize? (E! News)

Vanessa Simmons is set to debut her swimwear line, Rose by Vanessa Jean at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Swim in Miami on July 22nd. Can’t wait to see what she rolls out!

• It looks like we’re not the only ones loving Solange Knowles‘s personal style. The folks over at the Telegraph took some time out to pay homage to June’s most stylish starlet. (Telegraph)

~Jihan

20 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: Is Kanye West Doing a Menswear Show?, PETA Comes for The Olsen Twins Over The Row’s Patchwork Fur Bag, and The Spice Girls to Auction Off Old Costumes”

1. Indigo says:

That bag is fire!!! If i were to come into $18000 today I’d buy that bag! I usually turn my nose up to over priced items but this bag said hi to me… I wish a PETA would! Anyway…
    is there a dupe for this bag? LOL I have a few hundred i can spend. lol

2. lola_uk says:

Smh @Jihan Re: the peta/olsen story. “blah, blah..” really?!
    That bag is so trashy-looking! Put down the fashion “kool-aid” Jihan!

3. lola_uk says:

@ Indigo, you sound so dumb…

4. jeda says:

I admire what PETA does, but I would respect them more if they weren’t extremists. Why bash the girls, callthing Trollsen, trashly….doing that kind of stuff really takes away from their message.
    Blessings

5. KinkyCurly says:

I’m more upset with the Olsens creating an ugly bag and it being priced at $18,000.

6. KinkyCurly says:

And I wonder if Ginger’s (Gerri) unionjack dress will be up for auction. That one was one of my faves

7. TomTom says:

PETA needs to sit down. Its one thing to believe in a cause and want to get a message out about it and its another to bash people who choose not to have your lifestyle. PETA needs to stop forcing their extremist views on the public and instead educate the masses as to what animals go through.

8. Dobe says:

I agree with Jeda. PETA does nothing to help get their point across by childish name-calling. And a video game? I’m sure they could’ve invested that time into ‘saving’ an animal or two.

9. Globetrotter says:

Blah blah blah ?? Really? Is there no compassion in fashion? I don’t agree with all of the antics of PETA but what they have taken on by giving animals a voice is nothing less than honorable. I love this website but the attitudes taken by some about fur is….disconcerting. I wish there were more vegan friendly options available for other bombers that try to wear less leather/wool as possible. Maybe take a poll or a future post?

10. Mary J. says:

is it even legal for them to have that website? i went on it and it’s pretty insulting. Like damn, there are so many greater issues out there to worry about

11. Mary J. says:

@lola_uk no need to be so negative, you must be having a bad day or something

12. Jihan says:

@lola and @globetrotter

Yes, blah blah blah! The reason why I do not like PETA is because they are bullies. They also support people who engage in criminal activity, like firebombing animal testing facilities, endangering HUMAN lives.

The Bible says “he without sin cast the first stone” these folks are throwing all sorts of grenades, meanwhile they euthanize the majority of the animals they pick up to “help.” I have no problem with animal rights activists. What I DO take issue with is hypocrisy.

I also don’t understand how anyone could be so militant over a few chinchillas when there are so many PEOPLE who need help. They also don’t approve of animal testing, including for scientific purposes. You know how medicines get made? That’s right. Animal testing. These people would rather see a human being suffer and die in the name of a foolish cause. Sorry, I’m not about that life. I value the life of a breathing, thinking human being over an animal.

These folks have more regard for animal life than for human life, and I can’t get on board with that.

I also think their tactics are self-serving. Instead of actually helping animals these folks spend their time shaming celebrities and building stupid websites that aren’t going to make anyone not wear fur. To me, PETA is an organization of pretentious, self-righteous people who just want notoriety for causing all sorts of bacchanal.

PLUS I like fur, leather, snakeskin, etc, and I will not be shamed because someone might have a different opinion.

still love you guys though! I just feel very strongly about PETA xx

13. Indigo says:

@ lola_uk I sound just like you…

14. Indigo says:

lola_uk You sound like a butt plug… How are you upset over something SOMEONE ELSE likes? smdh Go kill yourself.

15. Jennifer says:

Yay Solo (:
    Angela is her Mother’s child, for shiggity.
    That bag is ugg.
    I miss up-and-coming, socially aware Kanye. ):

16. Tessa B says:

PETA looks so dumb and immature for creating their website. Their point is being completely overshadowed by their childishness. They need to do better.

17. RitaA says:

@Jihan I agree with everything you said! I couldn’t believe it when I read that PETA wouldn’t support finding a cure for AIDS if it meant animal testing!! Also funny fact: the founder is diabetic and takes insulin!

18. Tiffany says:

Testing for science is one thing but I have no idea how any one can be okay with animals being killed just so you can have a coat or handbag that will be “out” next season. Smh.
    But that’s the way most humans think. They don’t value life & think the whole world is all ours.
    I do not care if people say it’s cheap. I’ll take pleather & faux fur all day. You shouldn’t snuff out a life for something as trivial as fashion

19. Izhause says:

Is Kanye doing a menswear show I think he could learn something
    From that fashion bomber from the Netherlands!

20. Marthe says:

I totally agree with Tiffany. I think the USA’s PETA is very different from Belgian’s PETA (in Belgium they are a known and quite respected organisation who just stands up for animal rights). I think US PETA should review a few of their standards but the core is still the same. Fighting for animal rights, animals that feel pain, who are equally to humans. Who are we to take the right to kill an animal for luxury? Open your eyes.