June 27th, 2012
Style Inspiration, What to Wear, Work Wardrobe
Style Inspiration: What to Wear to a Work Symposium
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

Erica writes,“My job (Leading Internet company) has a two day symposium next week at The Waldorf Astoria in NY. The second day of the event is immediately followed by an after party at The Sky Room. Both days I will be on my feet the entire time so I would to wear flats but I would like to look as fly and professional as possible. It is also important that I’m able to go from day to night with whatever I wear. I’m a size 12 (on the bottom, pear-shaped) and usually wear tailored, classic pieces. I love bold colored pieces as well. Any insight you can provide me with would be awesome. Thanks!”

Hi, Erica! I’m here to assist! For every look, I kept in mind your figure, and being that you’re pear shaped, I wanted to put together looks that would best flatter you.

First up is this Piazza Sempione a-line dress. Not only is the color on point for the season, the slightly nipped in waist will help complement your curves, without being too risqué (this is still a work function).

You also expressed a love for bold pieces, and this Cole Haan clutch is bright enough to compliment the dress without overpowering it.  Since you’ll be on your feet all day, I added in these blue flats that should be immediately swapped for the swoon worthy Charlotte Olympia ankle strap platforms come night fall.

Next up, I went for a shirt and pants look. Colorblocking is one of the easiest trends to try, especially when it has already been done for you, as evidenced in this Sophie Theallet chiffon top.

I paired it with this pair of white Levi’s cropped pants to keep the attention focused on the blouse. When you have a pear shaped figure, this is key. Here I also made sure to incorporate these Tory Burch flats (let’s face it, when it comes to flats, Tory is KING). Keep your eye makeup soft with this YSL quad. When it’s time for the after party slip into these Chinese Laundry heels, which are a steal at no more than $80.

Finally, I went for darker colors. The Yves Saint Laurent wrap top is constructed in such a way that it is sexy while managing to be ideal for a work related event.

I then chose this black skirt because it helps to keep a sleek silhouette, and the color is always forgiving. The earrings compliment the color of the top as well as these Metallic-Trim Pop Velvet flats. Complete the look with a Dior manicure, silver heels, and clutch.

I hope this helped you out Erica! Would you mind checking back in after the event by sending us pictures at thefashionbomb@gmail.com showing how you interpreted this style inspiration? We would love to see!

~Cliché

15 Responses to “Style Inspiration: What to Wear to a Work Symposium”

1. dyshaun says:

Hmm I didnt see this yesterday…great post tho!

2. Meka says:

Great options!!

3. Kitty B. says:

So….i’m liking Cliche and all, but is there any way “items for less” can be added to the “Style Inspiration” post again?? Claire always included them and they are HUGE help.

Some of these 1,000 dresses and 800 dollar shoes are not working for me…

Hope someone pays attention to my request…Thanks in advance :)

4. Cliche says:

Hi, Kitty! Of course we would pay attention to your request. Though I took it for granted that this was more so a section for inspiration where looks can be easily recreated in more affordable options, I understand your need. I will absolutely keep this in mind. Look for it in my next post. ;)

Thanks!

5. Naija Vix. says:

@kitty b i guess because it’s a style “inspiration” we should be inspired by the outfits they post, we don’t have to buy the s a m e exact articles of clothing that they post lol.

6. Neche says:

These look like they’d look stunning with the right body, I’m in a high-school where we wear uniforms and i was wondering if i could get a post on what to wear to school on a non-uniform day?

7. Neche says:

I was wondering if you guys could do a style inspiration on what to wear to a Private school on a Dress Down Day?

8. I love options one and three. Two is a bit too dressed-down.

9. 11 Reasons says:

I agree with the request for including looks for less in the style inspiration posts.

Also, that YSL top is NOT appropriate for a work function.

My favorite look is #1

10. endESQ says:

I love how Cliche always gives us an option for flats. As a working woman who walks all day in heels, it is so a necessity that I think about what shoes I will be changing into when I get back to the car or office. Very smart!

11. binks says:

I agree with sun.kissed! 1 and 3 hit the mark but 2 not so much.

12. Brittany says:

You don’t put a pear shaped woman in white cropped pants.

13. itsjustme says:

@cliche– loving your posts on FBD. btw, it should be “complement” not “compliment”. i also noticed that mix-up in a post yesterday. ;-)

14. Sydni says:

In option one you mentioned a clutch but i dont see one

15. Phillip says:

I like the idea of matching an yellow pleated dress with blue platform pumps. Those two colors complement each other very well. And it comes to wearing white pants, pink tops will rule out on this. Nice sets