June 22nd, 2012
Fashion, Fashion News, Nicole Richie
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

Nicole Richie is the latest celeb to debut a fragrance we will undoubtedly see gracing the Rite Aid aisles in a few years. Richie says the scent was inspired by her mother.

She said, “I have a very traditional Southern mom — you never left the house without lotion,” [ed. note: Or, you just have a black mom, and no black mother leaves the house looking ashy!] “Over her lotion went oil and perfume — she was very put together from head to toe. It wasn’t just a one-dimensional smell — there were many different layers.” Layers in Richie’s eponymous scent include cashmere wood, vanilla, and amber. “Nicole Richie” the fragrance, will hit shelves in September. Will you pick it up? (WWD)

• After an amazing year for her brand (dressing Michelle Obama and landing a Macy’s Impulse collab), Doo-Ri Chung is leaving Doo.Ri the label. The designer has offered no explanation as to her departure. We’ll keep you updated on this one! (The Cut)

Mary Katrantzou is enjoying the growing notoriety her brand’s been getting lately, but of course, that comes with a few drawbacks. Her masterful trompe l’oeil designs are getting knocked off, to which the designer has mixed feelings: “I’ve gone through stages. First, flattery – a high street store is copying you! Then a sense of injustice – someone has taken your idea and made it in a form that is not as good quality,” she told the Telegraph. “But you can’t take it personally; everyone is being copied, and I don’t have the budget to sue.” I’m sure the folks over at Zara have already noted that last piece of information! She added, “When you put ‘lampshade skirt’ in google, you get ‘ASOS‘! It’s so unfair!” (Telegraph)

Franca Sozzani has been named the first Goodwill Ambassador of the Fashion 4 Development, a new UN program whose goal is to encourage fashion leaders to work on sustainable initatives. The program’s global chair, Evie Evangelou says the Development aims “to increase economic levels, decrease poverty and hunger, and help empower women in these countries.” (WWD)

Racked LA has a look at ASOS‘s soon-to-be-released “high summer” collection. Yes, you’re going to want everything. (Racked LA)
~Jihan

20 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: Nicole Richie to Launch Fragrance, Mary Katrantzou Talks Getting Knocked Off, and Peep ASOS’s “High Summer” Collection”

1. Eh, not sure if I’ll go run and buy her perfume, but that pic of her is gorgeous.

2. Loves me some Nicole Richie, but I’m not sure a perfume is step in the right direction. Mary Katranzou is right, I was just in Zara trying on those dresses yesterday and the quality isn’t up to par on a couple of the dresses that were knockoffs of hers. I wish I could get my hands on one of her designs.

3. SHAQ NICHOLE says:

Nicole looks beautiful in this photo!

4. mnrodgers says:

You know what…I am really a fan or Nicole, and where she has taken her brand over the years…I love House of Harlow…if I like the smell, I think I would def buy! Congrats Nicole!

5. Savage says:

The bottle is nice…LOL @ Jihan it will be @ Rite Aid in a few months bc u know its true.

6. makeeasweet says:

i love house of harlow,so i check out her perfume.

7. Caribbelle says:

That scent sounds like its up my alley. I can’t do the strong fruity scents, they give me a headache no matter how much I like them lol. As for asos, I’m dying here and wanting everything lol

8. yes says:

i have mixed feelings about nicole richie. She was so fly a few years back, but she kind of fell off and i just think ‘meh’ to everything she wears/has on offer – altho props to the bottle designer bc it is cute.

9. raquel says:

@jihan that was very mean. I HATE NEGATIVITY…..Nicole has come a long way i am sure her fragrance will be amazing.

10. Jihan says:

@raquel. Mean? Did somebody say her fragrance was going to be stank?

Besides, ALL celebrity fragrances wind up in Rite Aid. I didn’t know Halle Berry had a fragrance… until I saw it in Rite Aid.

What’s wrong with the unglamorous masses having access to the already over-saturated celebrity fragrance market? You don’t think regular people should be able to smell like Beyoncé or Nicole Richie?

Not everyone is fancy and can go to Sephora or Nordstrom for their celebrity scents! Rite Aid is really providing a service! Would you deny the average Jane in Mount Vernon, Ohio her Britney Spears Fantasy fragrance? Would you deny Nicole Richie her due coins from the common man?

11. tilitoimisto says:

Thank you for your blog post.Much thanks again. Will read on…

12. Sticky-n-Sweet says:

If I created a scent that smelled like my mother, it would smell like Pink lotion and Thierry Mugler. She looks gorgeous in that picture too.

13. Carol says:

I love your blog!!

14. willbilly says:

Oh I Can Understand Mary Kat – Just Like How Fashion Bomb And Other Stupid Websites Stole My Line “Get The Look” And “Check Out”

15. Krystal says:

Great quip on Franca Sozzani

16. Marsha says:

LOL! @ Jihan’s reply. I might have to make a stop by my local altruistic Rite Aid.

17. Wow, Nicole looks amazing here!

style-squared.blogspot.com

18. aries says:

that RackedLA stuff looks good.

19. Siyam says:

@jihan LMAO at your last reply and the reference to her having a black mom. RiteAid is where I found a lot of the up-and-coming hair care brands and also where I saw both of King Bey’s fragrances lol

20. Mazuba kapambwe says:

Not sure why it’s only now news that Franca is a goodwill ambassador for Fashion for development. She was appointed last September and traveled to West Africa to meet with designers for the Vogue Africa issue. Fashion for Development has been around for ages.