June 20th, 2012
Shopping, Style Inspiration, What to Wear, What to Wear for your Birthday
Style Inspiration: What to Wear to An Album Release/Birthday Party
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

LaLa writes,  Hello! I’ve been invited to an album release/birthday party at an upscale lounge in NYC around the end of this month… I don’t have the slightest idea what to wear.. I’m 24, petite 130pds 5’1, and I’m always inspired by 50′s glamour (pencil skirts, high waist pants and such) Help!! Thanks and God Bless xxoo”

We are one in the same, girl! I am also 5’1 and petite. That being said, I wanted to keep your favorite silhouettes in mind, but also elevate them with a modern twist. Here, take a look:

The first look features a red flared dress with a mesh center panel from Topshop. At first glance it looks super conservative, but that mesh detail allows it to be sexy and work well for  drinks at the lounge.

The necklace and studs maintains the feminine vibe. Keep the rest of the look simple with a black clutch and Walter Steiger curved heel sandals. A smoky eye works beautifully with the look.

If you’re feeling a little more adventurous, and in need of splashes of color, perhaps option 2 will work best for you. It includes yellow high-waist trousers by Stella McCartney (as you’ve expressed a weakness for), and a Helmut sheer black tank that allows the outfit to be a uptown/downtown hybrid.

The turquoise statement necklace is a head turner, especially when coupled with the Big Buddha colorblock clutch and B Brian Atwood sandals. The gold studs are simply for added effect, while the orange lip provides added pop for the look.

Finally, we have a minimalist cool getup. The Acne white skirt with a front zip and center slit  gives peek-a-boo sex appeal. The 3.1 Phillip Lim cerulean blue tank provides a stark contrast to the fresh white. Be sure to tuck the shirt in for a polished touch (as you know, the 50’s were all about being immaculately put together).

It’s hard to go wrong with these Mango black ankle strap sandals (I’m currently plotting on them as I type). The silver earrings and cuff help carry the minimal theme; while the neon clutch becomes a showstopper. Apply the NARS eyeshadow duo to bring drama to your eyes.

And there you have it, LaLa! Enjoy the party! I’ll be doing a little bit of the same this weekend in celebration of Jihan’s birthday. Cake cake cake cake!

~Cliché

17 Responses to “Style Inspiration: What to Wear to An Album Release/Birthday Party”

1. Kimmi says:

The first look is my fav

2. Kimmoy says:

I love ALL of the looks! Great job!

3. Marthe says:

I’m not even a fan of the 50′s but these outfits are beautiful! So very chique and modern too! My favourite must be the yellow pants (that blue necklace DOES it all for me!)

4. laura says:

5’1 and 130 lbs is not petite…with that said, the second look would be the best option

5. taffie says:

What to wear is my favorite section ever, mwaaah! Love all the looks,

6. Jihan says:

:) happy birthday to meeee

7. Kisha says:

I’m loving Cliche’s posts! These are all great!!!

8. Miss Understood says:

@taffie Hi Hater

9. Dom says:

Great looks! I love # 3. Keep up the good work Cliche!

That said, Taffie is right, petite is not only short in height but als slim in figure.

10. KikiDiva says:

Actually it is petite, most clothes are too long for someone who is 5’1…trust I know o_O

11. binks says:

Love the first one!

12. 11 Reasons says:

@Laura i’m going to take a walk on the obvious side and assume that she is referring to her height when referencing “petite”. you can be a petite size 12. smh so much negativity.

I like all of the looks, but option 1 is my favorite

13. Danni says:

Exactly 11 Reasons… Women are so negative sometimes sheesh… I’m 5’1 and a half and 133 pounds… I wear a size 6 sometimes 4 depending on the cut…. I for sure don’t have a medium built… so I consider myself petite as well… ANYWHO I looovvvee her choices!!!! so neat and well put together

14. Shelly says:

Was I the only one that was confused with the 130 pds, lol? Took me a minute to realize she meant (or should have put) lbs, the abbreviation for pounds.

Anywho, on the topic of what is petite, I have always known it to be referred to height. I am also 5’1, over 130 lbs, and sometimes have to cuff my pants.

And yeah, the second and third look are my favorite =)

p.s. Happy Birthday, Jihan!

15. Monica says:

Yea the first look is my favorite, love the red !

16. Allie says:

Love the outfit choices… Petite means being 5’4″ & under… Clothing in petite sections go from 0P -12P… Just some info for some of you ladies…

17. SweetT says:

cosign allie–most stores will tell you that petite is not a certain weight or even a size–it is a proportion. and most women in the 5’4” & below range fit it.